Turkish Migration Department Denies Transferring 600,000 Syrians to Istanbul

Syrian survivors of the earthquake at a crossing point on the Turkish-Syrian border. (EPA)
Syrian survivors of the earthquake at a crossing point on the Turkish-Syrian border. (EPA)
TT

Turkish Migration Department Denies Transferring 600,000 Syrians to Istanbul

Syrian survivors of the earthquake at a crossing point on the Turkish-Syrian border. (EPA)
Syrian survivors of the earthquake at a crossing point on the Turkish-Syrian border. (EPA)

The Turkish Migration Management denied allegations that 600,000 Syrians were transferred from earthquake-stricken regions in the country’s south, east and southeast to Istanbul.

It also denied that the cost of their transport was covered by official authorities, while Turkish citizens had to pay for public transportation.

It stressed that these claims, which were made during a morning show, were unfounded and irresponsible and aimed at incitement and provocation and creating a negative perception of foreigners in Türkiye.

It rejected claims against state institutions and ngos that have been working to aid the victims of the earthquake, stressing that the Migration Management was working around the clock to help those in need.

Moreover, it said it rejects false allegations that put the Department workers under suspicion simply because they are carrying out their responsibilities.

The media, it urged, should turn to official institutions to obtain verified information.

On Wednesday, head of the Victory Party Umit Ozdag, who is known for his opposition to Syrians and foreigners in Türkiye, alleged during an interview with Turkish Fox channel that the Migration Management had exempted Syrians from paying for their transportation.

He claimed that sources from the Management had informed him that 600,000 Syrians were allowed to move to Istanbul, while Turkish citizens remains in stricken region.

He did not reveal his sources, but identified one as an academic whose students work at the Migration Management.

Moreover, Ozdag said his party was not satisfied with the government’s policy towards the Syrians. He added that if ballot boxes were placed at the Management, 84 percent of its workers would vote in favor of his party.

Ozdag had previously claimed that Syrians were robbing shops and homes in the earthquake-stricken region. His allegations were refuted.

A public prosecutor in Türkiye filed a lawsuit against Ozdag after he posted a picture of a young man carrying a phone in the earthquake areas, claiming he was a Syrian who had stolen phones from destroyed houses.

The young man later appeared on local media and showed his Turkish identity, explaining that he was a volunteer worker. He filed an official complaint against Ozdag for defaming him on social media.

Meanwhile, the Syrian-Turkish Committee previously announced that the Migration Management canceled the travel permits of Syrians holding a temporary card in the states hit by the earthquake for a specified period.

The permits allow them to visit various states except for Istanbul. They must obtain 90-day permits from the Migration Management after arriving in states other than the ones in which they are registered.

Syrians were also required to specify why they visited other states and prove they had relatives there. Migrants traveling between states without obtaining permission will have to pay fines and might face the possibility of having their permits revoked.

More than 500,000 Syrians live in Istanbul, out of about 3.6 million in Türkiye.

Turkish authorities also allowed Syrians in quake-stricken areas to travel to Syria for a month, but many decided not to return to Türkiye.

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said more than 42,000 Syrians have returned to their country after the earthquake.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.