US, UK Try to Stem Fallout from Silicon Valley Bank Collapse

A sign of a branch of the Silicon Valley Bank is pictured at an office building where the bank is located in Frankfurt, Germany, Monday, March 13, 2023.Michael Probst/AP
A sign of a branch of the Silicon Valley Bank is pictured at an office building where the bank is located in Frankfurt, Germany, Monday, March 13, 2023.Michael Probst/AP
TT

US, UK Try to Stem Fallout from Silicon Valley Bank Collapse

A sign of a branch of the Silicon Valley Bank is pictured at an office building where the bank is located in Frankfurt, Germany, Monday, March 13, 2023.Michael Probst/AP
A sign of a branch of the Silicon Valley Bank is pictured at an office building where the bank is located in Frankfurt, Germany, Monday, March 13, 2023.Michael Probst/AP

Governments in the UK and US took extraordinary steps to stop a potential banking crisis after the historic failure of Silicon Valley Bank, even as another major bank was shut down.

The UK Treasury and the Bank of England announced early Monday that they had facilitated the sale of Silicon Valley Bank UK to HSBC, Europe's biggest bank, ensuring the security of 6.7 billion pounds ($8.1 billion) of deposits.

British officials worked throughout the weekend to find a buyer for the UK subsidiary of the California-based bank. Its collapse was the second-largest bank failure in history, The Associated Press said.

US regulators also worked all weekend to try to find a buyer. Those efforts appeared to have failed Sunday, but US officials assured all depositors that they could access all their money quickly.

The announcement came amid fears that the factors that caused the Santa Clara, California-based bank to fail could spread.

In a sign of how fast the financial bleeding was occurring, regulators announced that New York-based Signature Bank had also failed and was being seized on Sunday. At more than $110 billion in assets, Signature Bank is the third-largest bank failure in US history.

The near-financial crisis left Asian markets jittery as trading began Monday. Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 sank 1.6% in morning trading, Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 lost 0.3% and South Korea’s Kospi shed 0.4%. But Hong Kong’s Hang Seng rose 1.4% and the Shanghai Composite increased 0.3%.

In an effort to shore up confidence in the banking system, the Treasury Department, Federal Reserve and FDIC said Sunday that all Silicon Valley Bank clients would be protected and able to access their money. They also announced steps that are intended to protect the bank’s customers and prevent additional bank runs.

“This step will ensure that the US banking system continues to perform its vital roles of protecting deposits and providing access to credit to households and businesses in a manner that promotes strong and sustainable economic growth,” the agencies said in a joint statement.

Under the plan, depositors at Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank, including those whose holdings exceed the $250,000 insurance limit, will be able to access their money on Monday.

Also Sunday, another beleaguered bank, First Republic Bank, announced that it had bolstered its financial health by gaining access to funding from the Fed and JPMorgan Chase.

In a separate announcement, the Fed late Sunday announced an expansive emergency lending program that’s intended to prevent a wave of bank runs that would threaten the stability of the banking system and the economy as a whole. Fed officials characterized the program as akin to what central banks have done for decades: Lend freely to the banking system so that customers would be confident that they could access their accounts whenever needed.

The lending facility will allow banks that need to raise cash to pay depositors to borrow that money from the Fed, rather than having to sell Treasuries and other securities to raise the money.
Silicon Valley Bank had been forced to dump some of its Treasuries at a loss to fund its customers’ withdrawals. Under the Fed’s new program, banks can post those securities as collateral and borrow from the emergency facility.

The Treasury has set aside $25 billion to offset any losses incurred under the Fed’s emergency lending facility. Fed officials said, however, that they do not expect to have to use any of that money, given that the securities posted as collateral have a very low risk of default.

Analysts said the Fed’s program should be enough to calm financial markets.

“Monday will surely be a stressful day for many in the regional banking sector, but today’s action dramatically reduces the risk of further contagion,” economists at Jefferies, an investment bank, said in a research note.

Though Sunday’s steps marked the most extensive government intervention in the banking system since the 2008 financial crisis, its actions are relatively limited compared with what was done 15 years ago. The two failed banks themselves have not been rescued, and taxpayer money has not been provided to the banks.

President Joe Biden said Sunday evening as he boarded Air Force One back to Washington that he would speak about the bank situation on Monday. In a statement, Biden also said he was “firmly committed to holding those responsible for this mess fully accountable and to continuing our efforts to strengthen oversight and regulation of larger banks so that we are not in this position again.”

Regulators had to rush to close Silicon Valley Bank, a financial institution with more than $200 billion in assets, on Friday when it experienced a traditional run on the bank where depositors rushed to withdraw their funds all at once. It is the second-largest bank failure in US history, behind only the 2008 failure of Washington Mutual.

Some prominent Silicon Valley executives feared that if Washington didn’t rescue the failed bank, customers would make runs on other financial institutions in the coming days. Stock prices plunged over the last few days at other banks that cater to technology companies, including First Republic Bank and PacWest Bank.

Among the bank’s customers are a range of companies from California’s wine industry, where many wineries rely on Silicon Valley Bank for loans, and technology startups devoted to combating climate change. Sunrun, which sells and leases solar energy systems, had less than $80 million of cash deposits with Silicon Valley. Stitchfix, the clothing retail website, disclosed recently that it had a credit line of up to $100 million with Silicon Valley Bank and other lenders.

Tiffany Dufu, founder and CEO of The Cru, a New York-based career coaching platform and community for women, posted a video Sunday on LinkedIn from an airport bathroom, saying the bank crisis was testing her resiliency. Given that her money was tied up at Silicon Valley Bank, she had to pay her employees out of her personal bank account. With two teenagers to support who will be heading to college, she said she was relieved to hear that the government’s intent is to make depositors whole.

“Small businesses and early-stage startups don’t have a lot of access to leverage in a situation like this, and we’re often in a very vulnerable position, particularly when we have to fight so hard to get the wires into your bank account to begin with, particularly for me, as a Black female founder,” Dufu told The Associated Press.

Silicon Valley Bank began its slide into insolvency when its customers, largely technology companies that needed cash as they struggled to get financing, started withdrawing their deposits. The bank had to sell bonds at a loss to cover the withdrawals, leading to the largest failure of a US financial institution since the height of the financial crisis.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen pointed to rising interest rates, which have been increased by the Federal Reserve to combat inflation, as the core problem for Silicon Valley Bank. Many of its assets, such as bonds or mortgage-backed securities, lost market value as rates climbed.

Sheila Bair, who was chairwoman of the FDIC during the 2008 financial crisis, recalled that with nearly all the bank failures then, “we sold a failed bank to a healthy bank. And usually, the healthy acquirer would also cover the uninsured because they wanted the franchise value of those large depositors so optimally, that’s the best outcome.”

But with Silicon Valley Bank, she told NBC’s “Meet the Press,” “this was a liquidity failure, it was a bank run, so they didn’t have time to prepare to market the bank. So they’re having to do that now, and playing catch-up.”



Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan Agree to Establish Coordination Council

Saudi Minister of Energy Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz receives Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Energy Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz receives Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan Agree to Establish Coordination Council

Saudi Minister of Energy Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz receives Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Energy Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz receives Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh. (SPA)

Saudi Arabia and Kazakhstan agreed to establish a Saudi-Kazakh Coordination Council, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Saudi Minister of Energy Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz received in Riyadh Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Yermek Kosherbayev. Saudi FM Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and Minister of Energy of Kazakhstan Yerlan Akkenzhenov also attended the meeting.

The talks tackled the establishment of the coordination council, which will be chaired by the Saudi minister of energy and Kazakhstan’s foreign minister. The council reflects the two countries’ commitment to strengthening cooperation and expanding their bilateral partnership.

Prince Abdulaziz and Kosherbayev signed an agreement on the establishment of the council, which aims to boost coordination and consultation between the two countries and develop frameworks for cooperation across various sectors of mutual interest, elevating bilateral relations to broader levels.

Prince Abdulaziz and Kosherbayev discussed relations between their countries and ways to develop them further, especially in the energy field. They tackled opportunities for cooperation and investment in renewable energy and energy storage systems and discussed oil market developments.


Saudi-Qatari Partnership Paves Way for Logistics Corridors to Boost Regional Trade Efficiency 

The MoU was signed by Mawani President Eng. Suliman Almazroua and CEO of Qatar Ports Management Company Captain Abdullah Mohammed Al-Khanji. (QNA)
The MoU was signed by Mawani President Eng. Suliman Almazroua and CEO of Qatar Ports Management Company Captain Abdullah Mohammed Al-Khanji. (QNA)
TT

Saudi-Qatari Partnership Paves Way for Logistics Corridors to Boost Regional Trade Efficiency 

The MoU was signed by Mawani President Eng. Suliman Almazroua and CEO of Qatar Ports Management Company Captain Abdullah Mohammed Al-Khanji. (QNA)
The MoU was signed by Mawani President Eng. Suliman Almazroua and CEO of Qatar Ports Management Company Captain Abdullah Mohammed Al-Khanji. (QNA)

The Saudi Ports Authority (Mawani) and Qatar Ports Management Company signed on Tuesday a memorandum of understanding (MoU) aimed at boosting maritime and logistics cooperation between the two sides.

The agreement will contribute to the development of the ports sector, raising operational efficiency, and supporting regional and international trade flows.

The MoU was signed by Mawani President Eng. Suliman Almazroua and CEO of Qatar Ports Management Company Captain Abdullah Mohammed Al-Khanji. Qatari Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Bandar bin Mohammed Al Attiyah attended the signing ceremony.

The agreement reflects Saudi Arabia and Qatar’s commitment to building effective partnerships, exchanging expertise, establishing an organized framework for cooperation management, and developing joint investment opportunities in line with Saudi Vision 2030 and Qatar National Vision 2030.

The MoU outlines eight key areas of cooperation, including the exchange of best practices in port management and operations, and the study of opportunities for direct maritime and land connectivity between the ports of both countries to enhance trade flow efficiency.

It includes collaboration in logistics services, exploring the establishment of joint maritime corridors serving bilateral and regional trade, and assessing the feasibility of creating shared regional distribution centers.

In the fields of digital transformation and artificial intelligence, the two sides agreed to deepen cooperation on developing smart systems, data governance, and the unified maritime window, thereby boosting operational efficiency and keeping pace with technological advancements in the maritime sector.

The MoU places strong emphasis on maritime safety and environmental protection, including exchanging expertise in combating marine pollution and emergency response; developing joint maritime emergency plans; establishing an emergency communication line between the two countries; and cooperating to ensure compliance with international conventions, conduct joint exercises, and develop risk monitoring systems.

The cooperation also covers human capital development through joint training programs and field-exchange of expertise, as well as academic and research collaboration in maritime transport and logistics.

In terms of joint investment, both sides will study local and global investment opportunities in ports and related services and coordinate with the private sector to support these initiatives.

The MoU further includes cooperation in cruise tourism through enhanced maritime connectivity and joint promotion of Gulf cruise routes, as well as international and regional representation by coordinating positions in international maritime organizations and supporting joint initiatives, notably “Green Ports” and “Safe Sea Corridors.”

The agreement reflects the commitment of Mawani and Qatar Ports Management Company to advancing the ports sector and boosting its role as a key driver of trade and economic growth, contributing to Gulf integration and enhancing regional competitiveness in maritime and marine services.


Golden Halal Logo Launched at Makkah Halal Forum  

The Makkah Halal Forum 2026 was held from February 14 to 16. (SPA)
The Makkah Halal Forum 2026 was held from February 14 to 16. (SPA)
TT

Golden Halal Logo Launched at Makkah Halal Forum  

The Makkah Halal Forum 2026 was held from February 14 to 16. (SPA)
The Makkah Halal Forum 2026 was held from February 14 to 16. (SPA)

The Makkah Halal Forum 2026, which concluded on Monday, marked a pivotal milestone in the development of Saudi Arabia's halal industry, ushering in a new phase of structured institutional action.

This shift moves the sector beyond theoretical discourse toward a fully integrated implementation framework. It cements the Kingdom’s global leadership in halal and boosts the credibility of Saudi products in international markets.

The forum that began on February 14 witnessed the launch of a package of strategic enablers reflecting the maturity of the Saudi experience in the sector. Chief among them was the introduction of the Halal Academy as a specialized knowledge and training arm dedicated to building professional expertise and raising standards across the entire value chain.

The event also saw the unveiling of the Golden Halal logo, a high-level accreditation mark designed to provide global markets with a unified benchmark of trust, underscoring the Kingdom’s commitment to the highest standards of quality and compliance.

These initiatives signal a strategic shift that goes beyond the traditional concept of religious oversight. Instead, they frame halal as a comprehensive industrial and economic system that integrates Sharia compliance with high quality standards, advanced governance, and digital traceability. The approach is expected to boost the competitiveness of Saudi exports and facilitate their entry into global markets.

National success stories highlight the tangible impact of this transformation. CEO and founder of Roya Factory for Food Products Rasha Al Sanea noted that Saudi accreditation has evolved into a comprehensive quality certification that provides companies with a clear competitive edge abroad.

She noted that obtaining certification involves a rigorous process, including assessments of facility safety, manufacturing quality, and compliance with global standards ahead of final audits. These measures strengthen product reliability and boost readiness for international expansion.

The presence of international delegations and trade missions in Makkah on the sidelines of the forum helped accelerate expansion opportunities and open direct export channels to several markets, she added.

Pairing the Saudi Made logo with accredited halal marks, foremost among them the Golden Halal logo, enhances global consumer confidence and gives Saudi products a strong presence across diverse cultures and markets, she stressed.