Man United Manager Ten Hag Faces Ultimate Test against City

Football - FA Cup - Semi Final - Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester United - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - April 23, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag reacts. (Reuters)
Football - FA Cup - Semi Final - Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester United - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - April 23, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag reacts. (Reuters)
TT

Man United Manager Ten Hag Faces Ultimate Test against City

Football - FA Cup - Semi Final - Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester United - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - April 23, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag reacts. (Reuters)
Football - FA Cup - Semi Final - Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester United - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - April 23, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag reacts. (Reuters)

Year-end exams don’t come much tougher than the one facing Erik ten Hag and Manchester United.

The Dutch manager was hired to return the storied club to its former glories after a decade of decline. Against Manchester City in the FA Cup final he will get the chance to show how far United has come in his first season in charge.

While a one-off match cannot judge an entire campaign, the contrast in emotions for United’s fans will be stark depending on the outcome.

A win on June 3 would not only secure a second trophy for Ten Hag — after the League Cup — but also serve as a statement of intent that he is building a team ready to go head-to-head with City, perhaps as soon as next season.

Defeat wouldn’t necessarily alter that, but it would be painful confirmation of Guardiola’s ongoing dominance of English soccer.

The potential that City could also be in contention for a treble of trophies — the FA Cup, the Premier League and the Champions League — provides added spice to the occasion.

United remains the only English team to have won those three major trophies in one season, in 1999. The chance to directly block City’s attempt to emulate that feat will likely be an extra incentive.

“I understand, of course, the feelings from the Man United fans about it,” Ten Hag said Sunday.

United beat Brighton 7-6 on penalty kicks after the FA Cup semifinal match at Wembley ended 0-0 through extra time.

On Saturday, City made light work of second-division Sheffield United in a 3-0 win, also at the national stadium.

This will be the first time the Manchester rivals have played each other in the FA Cup final, but there are parallels to be drawn with the semifinals match between them in the same competition in 2011.

After three years under the ownership of Abu Dhabi’s ruling family, City had lavished money on superstar signings like Yaya Toure, David Silva and Carlos Tevez, but the club was still waiting for a first major trophy since 1976.

Former United manager Alex Ferguson had dismissed the rival as “noisy neighbors” following the influx money from its new owners.

But Toure provided a sign of the changing landscape of English soccer by scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win in the semifinals. City went on to lift the FA Cup, with Toure the matchwinner again in the final against Stoke.

City has dominated ever since, winning 13 more trophies, including six Premier League titles.

United, meanwhile, has suffered one setback after another after Ferguson retired in 2013 and went through four different permanent managers before hiring Ten Hag last year.

While the former Ajax coach has had his own difficulties in his first season at Old Trafford, he has sparked hope that the good times could be on their way back. United is on course to qualify for the Champions League and also in contention to win a second cup.

“We are on the right track. One trophy, another final and fighting for the top four,” goalkeeper David de Gea said. “It’s not enough but it’s a big step from last season.”

After losing 6-3 to City in Ten Hag's first Manchester derby in October, United won 2-1 in January, in what the manager described as the “perfect game.”

It is likely to take close to perfection to beat City in the final, with Guardiola's team in relentless form as the season enters the final stages.

The win against Sheffield extended its unbeaten run to 16 games in all competitions.

“The momentum is key, it doesn’t matter if you play every three or four days if you are winning, winning,” Guardiola said.

While Guardiola has assembled possibly the strongest squad in club soccer — star striker Erling Haaland has scored 48 goals already this season — Ten Hag is still in the process building a team in his own image at United.

United could not compete with City to sign Haaland last summer, but the improvements over the season could boost Ten Hag's chances of convincing an elite striker — the caliber of Harry Kane, for example — that he could win the biggest prizes at Old Trafford.

Win or lose, progress has undoubtedly been made under Ten Hag, even if City's 11-point lead over United is evidence of the gap between the rivals.

Victory in the final, however, would be a symbolic statement that may suggest the power balance in Manchester and English soccer could be about to shift again.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.