PA Accuses Israel of Assassinating Adnan, Islamic Jihad Vows Vengeance

A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)
A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)
TT

PA Accuses Israel of Assassinating Adnan, Islamic Jihad Vows Vengeance

A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)
A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)

Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh has accused Israel of assassinating the prisoner Khader Adnan, one of the most prominent leaders of Islamic Jihad.

Adnan, 44, died in his prison on Tuesday after a long hunger strike that lasted 87 days.

The Israeli Prison Service said in a statement announcing his death that he had been on hunger strike since his arrest on Feb. 5.

Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir decided to close the cells and prevent the movement of Palestinian prisoners to "prevent riots."

The Palestinian Foreign Ministry condemned the "heinous crime," saying the Israeli government is fully responsible for the death of Adnan.

The Ministry announced that it would submit the file of this crime to the International Criminal Court.

The Arab League condemned the crime of the death of Adnan, saying Israel is fully responsible.

Meanwhile, the wife of Adnan, Randa Musa, held a press conference in Araba town, near Jenin, saying the family will receive well-wishers because Adnan's martyrdom brings them pride and honor.

"We do not want the weapons not used to free the Sheikh (Adnan) to be used after his death. We do not want to see any bloodshed," she announced.

In a will written on Apr. 2, Adnan urged the Palestinian people not to "despair no matter the occupier's actions, regardless of the extent of their escalation in their occupation, aggression, oppression, and transgression."

In his will, he asked his family |not to allow the occupier” to carry out an autopsy on his body.

Physicians for Human Rights in Israel said that its doctors visited Adnan and were concerned about his severe and life-threatening health condition, asserting the need to transfer him immediately to a hospital.

Israeli rights group B'Tselem described the hunger strike of Khader Adnan as "a form of non-violent protest against his arrest and the injustices of the occupation."

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) offered its condolences to Adnan's family and called on Israel to release his body so his loved ones "can mourn and arrange a dignified burial."

In a statement, the head of the Palestinian Prisoners Association, Qadri Abu Bakr, confirmed that the authority submitted an urgent request not to carry out an autopsy on Adnan's body, indicating that there was no date for handing over his body yet.

Secretary General of the Islamic Jihad Movement Ziyad al-Nakhala said in a statement that Israel will pay the price for its crime. Hamas also threatened to respond.

On Tuesday, Israeli tanks bombed a site east of Gaza in response to rockets fired from the Strip after the death of Adnan.

The Israeli army said that at least 22 rockets were fired from Gaza, and it responded, downing four while the other 16 fell in open areas.

The al-Quds Brigades, the military arm of Jihad, declared a state of alert among its fighters, and the movement's officials canceled their travel outside the Gaza Strip to join the meeting of the movement's political bureau.

The Israeli army officially canceled pre-planned maneuvers around the Gaza Strip and alerted the Strip's borders for fear of attacks following the death of Adnan.

Elior Levy, a Palestinian Affairs Correspondent and Analyst for Kan Channel, tweeted that it was a "problematic morning for Israel," considering Adnan as a symbol of Palestinian steadfastness and resistance to Israeli detention. He noted that Islamic Jihad could be preparing for a response.

However, it is believed in Israel that Jihad is not ready to enter a round of fighting alone, without Hamas, which will avoid entering into battle but will not prevent the factions from firing rockets.

Meanwhile, gunmen attacked a settler vehicle near Tulkarm, injuring several. The armed groups that launched the attack vowed to escalate in the West Bank as revenge for Adnan.

The prisons witnessed unprecedented tensions and confrontations, and the Supreme Emergency Committee for Palestinian Prisoners Affairs declared a state of alert until the crime was reciprocated.

The national and Islamic forces declared a comprehensive strike in the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, and Jerusalem, organized angry vigils, and opened funeral homes in the main cities. Universities and schools were closed, and lawyers suspended their work before the Palestinian and Israeli courts.

The Palestinian Authority demanded the formation of an international commission of inquiry into the circumstances of Adnan's execution, as the Israeli authorities transferred his body and the security services began discussing handing over his body to his family.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.