UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
TT

UN Warns of ‘Deeply Concerning’ Situation in Sudan

People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)
People displaced by conflict in Sudan queue for aid on arrival in Chad (UN)

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has described the current situation in Sudan as "deeply concerning," reiterating his warnings of the conflict spreading to neighboring countries.

Guterres spoke at a press conference in Nairobi, Kenya, and addressed the developments in Sudan and the clashes that began on April 15 between the Sudanese army, led by Lt- Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces of Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo.

He explained that several agreements failed to stop the fighting that has driven tens of thousands of refugees out of Sudan and raised fears of a deepening humanitarian crisis in the region.

The envoy asserted that the parties should agree on a lasting ceasefire, saying the situation is profoundly concerning, fearing that it could extend to neighboring countries going through political problems and transitional stages.

He expressed concerns with Chad, asserting the need to support the country in the present situation, saying Ethiopia is in a peace process, and it is essential to avoid any spillover from Sudan to Ethiopia.

Guterres dispatched UN emergency relief coordinator Martin Griffiths to Port Sudan, where thousands of Sudanese and foreigners gathered, hoping to flee the country.

Upon arriving in Port Sudan, Griffiths tweeted that his visit reaffirmed the UN's commitment to the Sudanese people.

The envoy sought to organize the dispatch of humanitarian aid to the millions of Sudanese stranded in combat zones, with the continuation of Arab and international efforts to reach a sustainable cessation of war operations.

Thousands of UN staff have been evacuated via a road convoy to Port Sudan, and some UN offices temporarily suspended their services, such as the World Food Program (WFP), after two of their staff were killed in the fighting.

Later, the program announced that it would resume operations and food distribution is expected to begin in four states - Gedaref, Gezira, Kassala, and White Nile, in the coming days.

Griffiths said in a press conference from Port Sudan that he seeks solid guarantees on the safety and security of aid workers and supplies.

He addressed criticism that the UN had not done enough, saying it was challenging to operate in Sudan, saying that six of the WFP trucks traveling to the western region of Darfur had been looted en route, despite assurances of safety and security.

"It's not as if we're asking for the moon," he said, adding: "We're asking for the safe movement of humanitarian supplies and people. We do this in every other country, even without ceasefires."

"We are very clear now in our operational requirements as to what we need in terms of commitments from them," he said.

Griffiths' visit came after the South Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that the two parties to the conflict had agreed "in principle," to a seven-day ceasefire starting Thursday.

The United Nations announced that its dedicated programs had secured only 14 percent of the funds required for its operations for this year in Sudan, and it still needs about $1.5 billion to meet these needs, which have been exacerbated since the outbreak of the fighting.

- Dead, wounded, and displaced

The conflict has killed 550 people, including civilians, and injured more than 4,900.

At least 334,000 people were displaced inside Sudan, and tens of thousands have fled to neighboring countries such as Egypt, Chad, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and Ethiopia.

However, these numbers still need to be revised and are likely to rise steadily if the fighting continues.

The UN Refugee Agency reported that more than 42,000 Sudanese have crossed into Egypt, along with 2,300 foreigners.

Aid workers are increasingly concerned about the lack of essential services in combat zones.

Several Western countries have completed evacuations of their citizens from the country, and France, Britain, and the Us are now using Port Sudan as a base for those looking to leave. But citizens of other countries are still struggling to find a way out.

Furthermore, the Saudi warships carry mainly foreigners, Sudanese of dual citizenship, and others across the Red Sea to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.