Marcus Rashford Turns 20: How ‘late Developer’ Grew Into a Superstar

 Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring opn his Manchester United against FC Midtjylland in the Europa League only 18 months ago. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images
Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring opn his Manchester United against FC Midtjylland in the Europa League only 18 months ago. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images
TT

Marcus Rashford Turns 20: How ‘late Developer’ Grew Into a Superstar

 Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring opn his Manchester United against FC Midtjylland in the Europa League only 18 months ago. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images
Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring opn his Manchester United against FC Midtjylland in the Europa League only 18 months ago. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images

The thrill for Marcus Rashford as he turns 20 is where the rest of his career might take him.

In 18 months the boy who ceases to be a teenager on Halloween has claimed FA Cup, Europa League and EFL Cup winners’ medals for Manchester United. He has made his England bow, played at Euro 2016 and scored on his senior, Premier League, FA Cup, EFL Cup, Champions League and international debuts. This is a young star who, each time opportunity knocks, smashes down the door to grab it.

The United trainee’s rise has been so rapid it seems barely credible that his first appearance came in February of last year. Then, Rashford seized his chance against FC Midtylland at Old Trafford, scoring twice in a Europa League last‑32 second leg as Louis van Gaal’s side won 5-1. Rashford started only because Anthony Martial limped out of the warm-up and Will Keane, who should have been among the replacements, was also injured.

“You can’t predict what the outcome, the reaction will be when somebody goes out in front of 75,000,” says Kenny Swain, Rashford’s England Under-16 manager. “When you do like Marcus did, it gives the coaching staff such a thrill. You see his performance, how well he did, and think: ‘Wow! I wouldn’t have predicted that, he’s just played out of his skin.’ It is almost like an out-of-body experience – that’s what Marcus did.”

As a junior footballer Rashford possessed glittering potential but lagged behind peers in physical development. A first taste of the big time came when Van Gaal chose him as a substitute for the Premier League match at Watford on 21 October 2015. Rashford was 10 days from turning 18 and, alongside him, was Sean Goss, two years his senior.

Goss, a midfielder who left for Queens Park Rangers in January, says: “We’d been training the week building up – the first team had a problem with all the strikers getting injured and people automatically thought the older lads would be on the bench. We trained and Marcus did really well, better than the older lads, so he got his chance and me as well, which ended up in us going to Watford.

“We got told on the Friday afternoon by Ryan Giggs [Van Gaal’s assistant]. Marcus wasn’t in our changing room because he was in the youth team then. I got told and the other two lads who had been training with us were with me in the reserve changing room but didn’t get told anything. We all naturally thought it would be one of them. Then on the bus on the way to the airport Marcus came on and was buzzing. He hasn’t looked back since, has he?

There has been scant time to. Swain, who selected Rashford for two under-16 matches in 2012, describes the youthful Rashford in glowing terms. “Pure technical – wonderful balance,” says the 65-year-old, a league and European Cup winner with Aston Villa. “He was always at one with the ball; he could roll it, stroke it about. The best talent I’ve seen have usually got that. People would talk about George Best in his day and he was such a wonderful mover on the ball. Marcus had that, h. He was very graceful, the way he moves.

“Things like power, strength, acceleration don’t come until a bit later. He’s acquired those now, he’s picked up tremendous pace, and is much stronger.”

Rashford would have featured more for Swain’s under-16s but United were careful to protect a lad who has been theirs since the age of seven. Swain says: “Marcus was a late developer. He was a talented boy, no doubt. I’d seen him play for Man United a couple of times, he came into the training camp and only played two Victory Shield games. He was way underdeveloped compared with others of his age.

“In terms of his limited appearances that was down to an understanding I had with the United coaches. His progress was carefully plotted and [the view was] exposure with England would’ve been too much at that stage. I understood that, so his chances were limited at under-16.”

Rashford’s 53 appearances under José Mourinho last season were the side’s most. The manager often uses him in a wide role, though his breakthrough came at centre-forward, his preferred position.

Goss witnessed how much Rashford, a captain of United’s under-19s, wanted to make it. “He’s always had a little something; he maybe wasn’t fully grown into his body then,” Goss says. “You could just tell there was still a lot to come but he definitely had that part where he could change the game in an instant. He works his nuts off in training and outside of it. He’s one of those who absolutely loves football. I’m sure he could train all day and would want to go home and play football. That’s the way it is – whether it’s five-a-side with his mates, skills in his living room, he’s got that passion.”

Goss still talks with Rashford regularly and says success has not affected a player for whom the bidding would start at £80m-plus. “He really is mature for his age, down to earth. Nothing’s changed him, which has really helped in some ways, because he’s not got ahead of himself and he’s always looking to improve. He knows who his friends are; he wouldn’t get sucked into any bad eggs – he keeps himself to himself. It is the maturity thing. He’s always hung around with people older than him, which has pushed him because he’s been competing against people who are older.”

Rashford’s 2015-16 campaign ended with eight goals in 18 United appearances, plus one in three for England. Last season’s 53 games yielded 11 goals, plus five more international caps, with Mourinho arguing that Rashford’s third term would prove a step-change in development and form.

So far the Portuguese is correct: in 15 matches the return is seven goals (plus one in four for England) and the 6ft 1in Rashford continues to impress with his game-breaking blend of directness, dribbling and pace.

Mourinho’s trust will again be illustrated by choosing Rashford to replace Romelu Lukaku should the Belgian be rested for Tuesday night’s visit of Benfica for the fourth Champions League Group A match. If so, Rashford will calmly expect he can turn in another scintillating display for his boyhood team.

Goss says: “It’s definitely a dream for him – he was at the academy from a young age. And he’s only going to get better as well. He’s not going to take his foot off the gas. He will always work hard. I do believe that he will get far better as a player. He has got that mental edge that can take you so far and whenever he’s playing he truly thinks: ‘Right, I’m better than you, I’m going to try my tricks.’ He thrives off the big occasions. He’ll want to do something special to get his team a goal or get his team a win, which with a player that age is massive.”

Rashford has always been focused on what can push him on. “Marcus, even though he lived in Manchester, moved out young,” Goss says. “He went into digs, did the same as all the other lads, training with the older age groups. As much as at the time you probably don’t like it, don’t think it’s the best for you, in the long run it will help.”

If Rashford’s nascent career has been glittering, his future could be whatever he wishes. As Goss adds: “He’ll never settle for not being the best.”

The Guardian Sport



De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
TT

De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)

Tottenham Hotspur manager ‌Roberto De Zerbi reiterated his commitment to the relegation-threatened Premier League club, saying he would stay on even if they were to drop into the second tier of English football.

Tottenham are two points above West Ham United in the final relegation spot, and a home draw with Everton on Sunday in ‌their final league ‌game of the season ‌would ⁠almost certainly be ⁠enough to ensure their survival, as the North London club have a superior goal difference.

However, if they lose to Everton and West Ham beat Leeds United, Tottenham could be relegated from the ⁠top flight for the first ‌time since 1977.

In ‌April, De Zerbi said he would remain ‌in charge of the club next ‌season regardless of results. When asked on Friday if he would stick to his word, the Italian told reporters: "Yeah, I confirm everything.

“It’s ‌still an honor to be a coach for Tottenham, even if ⁠on ⁠Sunday we play for the relegation fight, it’s not a problem. I consider football something more than the (league) table...

"We are fighting for something very important for everyone. It is football. But we have enough quality. To attack the pressure, you have to find the valor inside of yourself, to understand the situation and force yourself to give your best."


Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)

Defending champion Lando ‌Norris said McLaren could take encouragement from qualifying third for the Canadian Grand Prix after finishing closer than expected to Mercedes, despite not fully exploiting their upgrade package.

George Russell claimed pole position ahead of teammate Kimi Antonelli, completing a Mercedes front-row lockout, while Norris secured third after a tight qualifying session in which he briefly appeared in contention following the first Q3 runs.

"I was pretty happy, actually," Norris said. "My lap, the 12.7, I was reasonably happy with. I thought there was a little bit more ‌in it, which ‌I tried to get out on my ‌second ⁠lap, but didn't ⁠really seem to be able to extract."

Norris said that being so close to Mercedes was positive, adding that they had not expected to beat them in Montreal because they had not yet maximized the potential of their upgrade package.

"The fact that we're not using some of our upgrades, I think we're very surprised to ⁠be this close," he said. "There are a lot ‌of positives... there are still good ‌things to come once we figure them out."

Team principal Andrea Stella ‌offered a similar but more cautious assessment, saying there were "encouraging ‌indications" that McLaren were learning more about their upgrades.

"Between the Sprint sessions and qualifying, we did some work to optimize the car from a set-up point of view and a tire exploitation point of view, ‌so this allowed us to make the car quicker," he said.

"In my view, you have to ⁠look at ⁠things more holistically, over a period of time and in different conditions," he added.

Rain is a possibility on Sunday, which could work against teams. However, Stella said that the conditions could potentially work in McLaren's favor.

"I do think that this is an advantage because there's uncertainty in relation to the behavior of the power unit," he said.

"In wet, it deviates even more from what you anticipate and from what you can simulate. So power units certainly remain an element of variability that is concerning, but if you have tested it you might know a little bit more. There is a little advantage then," he added.


Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)

Novak Djokovic will headline the opening day of Roland Garros on Sunday as the 24-time Grand Slam champion begins his latest tilt at history.

Lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires for a fourth time would send the 39-year-old clear as the player with the most major titles.

Djokovic's last Grand Slam title came at the US Open in 2023, and every subsequent major has been claimed by tennis' two new dominant forces -- Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz.

With double-defending champion Alcaraz missing through injury, Djokovic will enter his first-round match in the night session on Stade Philippe Chatrier against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard knowing this may well be his best chance of claiming a record-breaking 25th crown.

"It's been a lot of hours spent on the court and trying to perfect the game and the body and enable myself physically and game-wise to be ready for best of five (sets)," Djokovic told reporters Friday of his preparations as he returns from a shoulder issue.

"Let's see. I don't know whether that's going to be the case for the entire tournament, however long that tournament will be for me.

"But Grand Slams have been, and I have said this many times, always the priority list, particularly in the last couple of years... So I can't wait to get on a court and start competing."

The third-seeded Serb enters the tournament with little match practice on clay after only competing in the Italian Open, where he was eliminated in his opening match earlier this month.

Djokovic is a different beast when it comes to Grand Slams. Despite his reduced participation in ATP tournaments in recent years, he has nonetheless reached at least the semi-finals at each of the past five majors.

He has, however, been handed a tough draw in the French capital.

First on the menu is former world number 29 Mpetshi Perricard, who, in addition to having one of the biggest serves on the tour, will also enjoy raucous home backing on Roland Garros' center court.

Second seed Alexander Zverev will also be in action on the opening day as the German faces home hope Benjamin Bonzi.

Rising stars Joao Fonseca of Brazil and Czech Jakub Mensik will both open their bids on Court Simonne Mathieu.

- 'Never tricky' -

Russia's Mirra Andreeva will be the highest-ranked woman playing on Sunday. The eighth seed meets French wildcard Fiona Ferro on Philippe Chatrier.

"Of course it's never tricky to play a French player, especially in Paris," Andreeva joked.

"Because obviously the crowd is gonna support her as much as they can, and that's totally okay. I mean, I have some experience even from last year when I played quarters, so I pretty much know what to expect."

Last year, the 19-year-old stormed through to the last eight before falling to French sensation Lois Boisson in a match in which Andreeva received a warning from the umpire for blasting the ball into the crowd.

Swiss 11th seed Belinda Bencic will open play for the tournament on Philippe Chatrier against Austrian qualifier Sinja Kraus.

Former Grand Slam champions Sofia Kenin, Barbora Krejcikova and Emma Raducanu all start their French Open campaigns too.

Lilli Tagger of Austria, the 2025 junior champion who has drawn comparisons to four-time Roland Garros winner Justine Henin for her elegant single-handed backhand, will make her bow in the senior draw on court nine against Chinese 32nd seed Wang Xinyu.