Scott McTominay’s Road from under-11 Wembley Final to United Regular

Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)
Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)
TT

Scott McTominay’s Road from under-11 Wembley Final to United Regular

Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)
Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)

The DW Fitness gym, Morecambe, Tuesday night. Forty-eight hours after shackling Eden Hazard in Manchester United’s win over Chelsea Scott McTominay is using a day off to ensure he remains in prime condition for José Mourinho.

McTominay’s emergence as a bona fide first-team player has caused some surprise within the club. The 21-year-old was viewed as a utility midfielder of promise whose abilities were hardly stellar. Yet Mourinho preferred McTominay to Paul Pogba recently, dropping the Frenchman for games against Huddersfield Town and Sevilla. When Pogba was reinstated for Chelsea’s visit last Sunday McTominay’s place was not in doubt, with Ander Herrera’s injury opening up a place for the £89m midfielder.

Those close to McTominay are not particularly surprised by a trajectory this season that has featured 15 appearances to follow two last year, his debut coming at Arsenal as an 84th-minute replacement on May 7.

Mark Grayson was McTominay’s teacher and coach at St. Wilfrid’s primary school in Halton, a village near Lancaster where the player was born. “Scott was always a standout player,” says Grayson, who made McTominay captain of the team that claimed the Community Cup, an under-11 competition, in a Wembley final in 2008. “He scored the winning goal, it was fantastic. We had the night before in the Ibis [hotel]. I don’t think the boys slept at all as their bedrooms were facing Wembley, which was lit up.

“The changing rooms were absolutely enormous; these little lads were dwarfed by them. It ended 1-0 – the game got to all of the players – but Scott picked up the ball inside his own half, beat two players and scored in the corner.”

McTominay has been at United since his early school years and Grayson offers a story to illustrate how attitude is a key attribute in the player’s rise.

“When he was in my class in year five – 10 years old – his parents asked for two days’ leave of absence,” says Grayson. “He was representing United at an event in Spain where there were teams from Brazil, Italy, Spain and Germany. He took the Friday and the Monday, and when he came back to school went to his desk straight away.

“I said: ‘Wooah Scott, tell us how it went.’ It was a small-sided tournament but they had large crowds – a couple of thousand watching each game. United got knocked out in the quarter-finals but he scored a couple of goals. There was a round of applause for this and some ‘well dones’.

“Yet what happened next is the measure of the lad as he’s unassuming; he just does the job. Because a little later in class he came to me and said: ‘Mr Grayson, my mum told me I had to tell you something else.’ And it was that while United were knocked out in the quarter-finals he was voted player of the tournament. That’s a real reason he was captain – kids just looked up to him.”

Dan Towers, who played in the Wembley final, remains a close friend. He, too, points to McTominay’s focus.

“He was always one of the smaller kids – now he’s a lot taller. He’s still got the good technical attributes and quick feet but I’d probably say his attitude is mostly [behind his success]. He does a lot – for example, gym work that’s optional is just the norm for him, on his days off. We were in the gym on Tuesday night. He had three days off after the game. His mum and dad live in Lancaster and he came for a bit of recovery.”

McTominay moved to Manchester in the second year of senior school after being offered a scholarship by United. His parents, Frank and Julie, were concerned his height might hamper his prospects. At 18 he was 5ft 6in, though United remained calm. “They had done all the physiological tests,” says Grayson. “They said: ‘No, we expect him to grow well.’ And in the last 18 months he certainly has.”

McTominay is 6ft 4in and Towers says: “Scott’s always been grateful for coaches – Paul McGuinness, Warren Joyce – who stood by him because they knew he had the technical ability to go on and make it. He also always mentions the United way too – Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, you could go on and on. Seeing the players he played with when he was younger doing it pushed him.”

Nemanja Matic, his midfield partner against Chelsea, offers a glowing assessment. “He is amazing – he is 21 and to play like that and control the game is impressive. He will be a big player for Manchester United. When I joined I saw within a few days he would become a top player.”

Towers offers a further clue to McTominay’s ultra-professionalism that is now causing a tussle between Scotland and England for his services. “He says he’ll assess who he’s going to be playing against so he’s not playing blindly. Like Hazard and Willian on the weekend. If you play blindly against those boys you can be made to look like an idiot at times. He does his research, works hard behind the scenes and is reaping the rewards of all the sacrifices he made.”

The Guardian Sport



De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
TT

De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)

Tottenham Hotspur manager ‌Roberto De Zerbi reiterated his commitment to the relegation-threatened Premier League club, saying he would stay on even if they were to drop into the second tier of English football.

Tottenham are two points above West Ham United in the final relegation spot, and a home draw with Everton on Sunday in ‌their final league ‌game of the season ‌would ⁠almost certainly be ⁠enough to ensure their survival, as the North London club have a superior goal difference.

However, if they lose to Everton and West Ham beat Leeds United, Tottenham could be relegated from the ⁠top flight for the first ‌time since 1977.

In ‌April, De Zerbi said he would remain ‌in charge of the club next ‌season regardless of results. When asked on Friday if he would stick to his word, the Italian told reporters: "Yeah, I confirm everything.

“It’s ‌still an honor to be a coach for Tottenham, even if ⁠on ⁠Sunday we play for the relegation fight, it’s not a problem. I consider football something more than the (league) table...

"We are fighting for something very important for everyone. It is football. But we have enough quality. To attack the pressure, you have to find the valor inside of yourself, to understand the situation and force yourself to give your best."


Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)

Defending champion Lando ‌Norris said McLaren could take encouragement from qualifying third for the Canadian Grand Prix after finishing closer than expected to Mercedes, despite not fully exploiting their upgrade package.

George Russell claimed pole position ahead of teammate Kimi Antonelli, completing a Mercedes front-row lockout, while Norris secured third after a tight qualifying session in which he briefly appeared in contention following the first Q3 runs.

"I was pretty happy, actually," Norris said. "My lap, the 12.7, I was reasonably happy with. I thought there was a little bit more ‌in it, which ‌I tried to get out on my ‌second ⁠lap, but didn't ⁠really seem to be able to extract."

Norris said that being so close to Mercedes was positive, adding that they had not expected to beat them in Montreal because they had not yet maximized the potential of their upgrade package.

"The fact that we're not using some of our upgrades, I think we're very surprised to ⁠be this close," he said. "There are a lot ‌of positives... there are still good ‌things to come once we figure them out."

Team principal Andrea Stella ‌offered a similar but more cautious assessment, saying there were "encouraging ‌indications" that McLaren were learning more about their upgrades.

"Between the Sprint sessions and qualifying, we did some work to optimize the car from a set-up point of view and a tire exploitation point of view, ‌so this allowed us to make the car quicker," he said.

"In my view, you have to ⁠look at ⁠things more holistically, over a period of time and in different conditions," he added.

Rain is a possibility on Sunday, which could work against teams. However, Stella said that the conditions could potentially work in McLaren's favor.

"I do think that this is an advantage because there's uncertainty in relation to the behavior of the power unit," he said.

"In wet, it deviates even more from what you anticipate and from what you can simulate. So power units certainly remain an element of variability that is concerning, but if you have tested it you might know a little bit more. There is a little advantage then," he added.


Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)

Novak Djokovic will headline the opening day of Roland Garros on Sunday as the 24-time Grand Slam champion begins his latest tilt at history.

Lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires for a fourth time would send the 39-year-old clear as the player with the most major titles.

Djokovic's last Grand Slam title came at the US Open in 2023, and every subsequent major has been claimed by tennis' two new dominant forces -- Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz.

With double-defending champion Alcaraz missing through injury, Djokovic will enter his first-round match in the night session on Stade Philippe Chatrier against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard knowing this may well be his best chance of claiming a record-breaking 25th crown.

"It's been a lot of hours spent on the court and trying to perfect the game and the body and enable myself physically and game-wise to be ready for best of five (sets)," Djokovic told reporters Friday of his preparations as he returns from a shoulder issue.

"Let's see. I don't know whether that's going to be the case for the entire tournament, however long that tournament will be for me.

"But Grand Slams have been, and I have said this many times, always the priority list, particularly in the last couple of years... So I can't wait to get on a court and start competing."

The third-seeded Serb enters the tournament with little match practice on clay after only competing in the Italian Open, where he was eliminated in his opening match earlier this month.

Djokovic is a different beast when it comes to Grand Slams. Despite his reduced participation in ATP tournaments in recent years, he has nonetheless reached at least the semi-finals at each of the past five majors.

He has, however, been handed a tough draw in the French capital.

First on the menu is former world number 29 Mpetshi Perricard, who, in addition to having one of the biggest serves on the tour, will also enjoy raucous home backing on Roland Garros' center court.

Second seed Alexander Zverev will also be in action on the opening day as the German faces home hope Benjamin Bonzi.

Rising stars Joao Fonseca of Brazil and Czech Jakub Mensik will both open their bids on Court Simonne Mathieu.

- 'Never tricky' -

Russia's Mirra Andreeva will be the highest-ranked woman playing on Sunday. The eighth seed meets French wildcard Fiona Ferro on Philippe Chatrier.

"Of course it's never tricky to play a French player, especially in Paris," Andreeva joked.

"Because obviously the crowd is gonna support her as much as they can, and that's totally okay. I mean, I have some experience even from last year when I played quarters, so I pretty much know what to expect."

Last year, the 19-year-old stormed through to the last eight before falling to French sensation Lois Boisson in a match in which Andreeva received a warning from the umpire for blasting the ball into the crowd.

Swiss 11th seed Belinda Bencic will open play for the tournament on Philippe Chatrier against Austrian qualifier Sinja Kraus.

Former Grand Slam champions Sofia Kenin, Barbora Krejcikova and Emma Raducanu all start their French Open campaigns too.

Lilli Tagger of Austria, the 2025 junior champion who has drawn comparisons to four-time Roland Garros winner Justine Henin for her elegant single-handed backhand, will make her bow in the senior draw on court nine against Chinese 32nd seed Wang Xinyu.