Solskjær Returns Cheer to Manchester United but Tougher Tests Await

Paul Pogba celebrates making it 2-0 against Huddersfield Town and he then got a second. Photograph: Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images
Paul Pogba celebrates making it 2-0 against Huddersfield Town and he then got a second. Photograph: Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images
TT

Solskjær Returns Cheer to Manchester United but Tougher Tests Await

Paul Pogba celebrates making it 2-0 against Huddersfield Town and he then got a second. Photograph: Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images
Paul Pogba celebrates making it 2-0 against Huddersfield Town and he then got a second. Photograph: Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images

In Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s opening two matches the feel-good factor has been mainlined back into Manchester United.

Following the dark José Mourinho days this was a prime demand when appointed caretaker manager last week. The second was to win and do so in fine style: again, this has been achieved. Saturday’s 5-0 victory at Cardiff City was followed by Boxing Day’s 3-1 defeat of Huddersfield.

All of this has been done with the appearance of ease, despite some reticence being understandable from a man who was air-dropped in, 17 games into this listing United season, with the club 11 points from a Champions League berth. Solskjær might have assessed the near-wreckage left by Mourinho and wonder just how he, who took Cardiff down in May 2014, could turn the United tanker around.

Instead, he has two wins out of two, Paul Pogba reinstated and firing, and though United stuttered at times against Huddersfield, the football has been more fluid and high octane.

Against Huddersfield Solskjær was without the ill Anthony Martial, his top scorer, yet ended witnessing a two-goal Pogba masterclass that followed the Frenchman’s fine display in south Wales.

The afternoon began as a coming-home party for the new interim boss as Alan Keegan, the stadium announcer, said: “Will you please welcome back the legend: Ole Gunnar Solskjær.”

This drew cries of “Olé! Olé! Olé!” from a packed Old Trafford who hoped to witness further distance between United and Mourinho’s blighted 30-month tenure.

Solskjær’s return was a quasi old-boys reunion as Ryan Giggs applauded him from the posh seats and Wayne Rooney tweeted a picture of himself at Old Trafford, pre kick-off.

Solskjær admitted after a win that also featured a rare Nemanja Matic strike – from close range – that he has had limited time to tinker. It is his good fortune his early run of fixtures are particularly kind, as Bournemouth are next at United’s stadium – for Sunday’s late game – before a trip to Newcastle United on 2 January, and the visit of Reading in the FA Cup third round.

So, the next three matches are eminently as winnable as the opening two and can allow Solskjær to build a crucial component he neatly said post- Cardiff cannot just be taken from the “fridge” – confidence – before what appears to be their first stern test: the meeting with Tottenham at Wembley on 13 January.

By the half-hour mark in south Wales United were 2-0 up. Against David Wagner’s bottom-placed side the game was goalless approaching that time and a concerned Solskjær had been in the technical area giving Juan Mata instructions, before returning to his seat to see Matic’s opener.

This came from a corner and illustrated one big difference from Mourinho’s reign: United’s approach is more direct. Add to that, Solskjær’s XI are a crucial fraction faster and his players more ready to try some schoolyard stuff – as when Marcus Rashford nutmegged Mathias Jørgensen and fired in a cross that Diogo Dalot might have smacked home on the volley.

Also of note in the opening 180 minutes of Solskjær’s spell is how Mike Phelan, the No 2, is often left to do the touchline tactical detail when required. He hovered in and around the area for the start of the second half against Huddersfield and remained there for a prolonged period.

What he – and Solskjær – saw was United make a brief return to the disjointed stuff that doomed Mourinho before Pogba took command. More cheer for the pair – plus Michael Carrick, another member of the Solskjær brains trust – came in how Jesse Lingard was willing to race back and help his defence whenever Huddersfield threatened.

As Pogba was scoring his sixth and seventh goals of the season – one more than all of last season – out came renditions of: “Who put the ball in the Germans’ net? Ole Gunnar Solskjær; and “You are my Solskjær”.

Old Trafford had became bonhomie central. The Stretford End demanded and received a wave from Phelan and Carrick. Mata got a hearty Solskjær hug when coming off. The 18-year-old Angel Gomes was brought on for his second Premier League game, at 3-0: material evidence that Solskjær is keen to carry forward the United tradition of developing youth. And, there was even a run-out for Fred, the midfielder who came to embody Mourinho’s dysfunctional tenure. He was the £50m buy whose creativity could only be afforded if United were more defensive – for that was the Portuguese’s seriously off-message verdict on the sole major summer signing.

Solskjær, so far, has been as faultless in front of the media as his team has been on the field. There is an excitement and authority when speaking that stems from his bona fide hero status at United. The trick now is for him to reach May with the same billing. Do this and Solskjær may yet be a serious contender for the permanent role.

The Guardian



Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
TT

Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)

Swiss police are investigating an alleged robbery amid reports that four-time Formula 1 world champion Alain Prost was injured during a home invasion.

Swiss tabloid Blick reported late Friday that the 71-year-old Prost sustained a head injury from intruders who forced his son to open a safe during the incident Tuesday morning.

“The perpetrators entered the residence while the occupants were present, threatened them, and forced one family member to open a safe before fleeing with the stolen goods,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement. “Despite the extensive search operation launched, the perpetrators have not yet been apprehended at this stage,” The AP news reported.

The police, who did not name the victim, said “several” balaclava-wearing intruders “broke into the house. Once inside, they threatened the occupants and inflicted minor head injuries upon one family member, under circumstances that remain to be established. The perpetrators then forced another family member to open a safe before making their escape with stolen items, a precise inventory of which is currently being compiled.”

Blick reported that Prost, who won four world championships between 1985-1993, was “visibly shaken by this brutal intrusion” and that he's left the home in Nyon beside Lake Geneva in the Swiss canton of Vaud.


Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Tottenham must avoid defeat against Everton on Sunday to guarantee their place in the Premier League next season as Pep Guardiola and Mohamed Salah prepare for emotional farewells.

Liverpool and Bournemouth could both secure places in the Champions League, while European football is also on the line for Brighton, Brentford, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Spurs 'dignity' at stake

According to AFP, this time last year Tottenham fans were basking in the glow of a first trophy for 17 years after beating Manchester United to lift the Europa League.

Head coach Roberto De Zerbi believes the visit of Everton dwarfs the importance of that victory, with Premier League survival at stake.

"There is something more important than the trophy and the bonus," he said. "There is the future of the club, there is the history of the club, there is the pride of the players, there is the pride of the families of the players.

"There is the dignity of every one of us."

A point will be enough to secure survival and relegate West Ham due to Tottenham's vastly superior goal difference.

But Spurs have already lost 10 of their 18 home league games this season and another defeat would open the door to Nuno Espirito Santo's Hammers, if they can beat Leeds.

Battle for Europe

Liverpool should ensure a terrible season does not end on a fresh low note by securing a top-five finish in Mohamed Salah's farewell to Anfield.

Finishing in the top five would ensure Champions League football next season -- a consolation prize after a shocking title defence.

Egypt international Salah criticised Liverpool's performances under Arne Slot this season after last week's 4-2 defeat at Aston Villa.

"I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies," he said in a social media post, pointedly referring to the football played under Slot's predecessor Jurgen Klopp.

"Qualifying to next season's Champions League is the bare minimum and I will do everything I can to make that happen," he added.

Liverpool, who host Brentford, have a three-point lead and a six-goal cushion on goal difference over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

Sixth could be enough to qualify for the Champions League if Liverpool win and leapfrog Aston Villa, who travel to Manchester City, into fifth spot.

As it stands, the sixth and seventh-placed teams would go into the Europa League and the eighth would qualify for the Conference League, AFP reported.

Brighton would be guaranteed at least Europa League football with victory over Manchester United.

Sunderland host Chelsea with a chance of qualifying for continental competition for the first time in more than half a century.

Premier League greats depart

Mohamed Salah's outburst gives Arne Slot a tough decision to make on whether to start the 33-year-old, who has only recently returned from a hamstring injury.

The already unpopular coach risks infuriating the Liverpool fans even further if he does not give the man they christened "The Egyptian King" one last run out in front of the Kop.

With increasing speculation over his future, Slot can ill afford to let any personal issues with Salah get in the way of finishing the season on a high.

Liverpool have failed to win any of the nine league games that Salah has not started in 2026.

At the Etihad, Guardiola is set for a rousing send-off after amassing 20 trophies in his decade in charge, including six Premier League titles and City's only Champions League.

"It's been the experience of my life," said the Catalan after announcing his departure on Friday.


Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
TT

Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS

Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes was named the Premier League player of the season on Saturday after guiding his club to third place in the standings while equaling the league's assists record with a game to spare. Fernandes tied the league record of 20 assists jointly held by former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and ex-Manchester City playmaker Kevin De ⁠Bruyne.

The Portugal international ⁠also scored eight goals as United secured a third-place finish to qualify for the Champions League.

The 31-year-old was nominated alongside Arsenal's title-winning trio of Gabriel, David Raya and Declan Rice, ⁠Manchester City duo Erling Haaland and Antoine Semenyo, Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White and Brentford striker Igor Thiago.

Fernandes emerged as the Premier League's best playmaker this season when he created a league-high 132 chances. The next best player was Liverpool's Dominik Szoboszlai, who created 89 chances, Reuters reported.

Fernandes was named the Football Writers' Association ⁠men's ⁠player of the year earlier this month while he also picked up the club's Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year honor for the fifth time.

He has the opportunity to make the Premier League assists record his own on Sunday when United travel to Brighton & Hove Albion for the final game of the season.