Lucas Moura: ‘I Saw a Guy Arrive and Put a Gun to the Driver’s Head’

Lucas Moura celebrates his decisive third goal against Ajax. ‘The best feeling of my football life,’ he says. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Action Images via Reuters
Lucas Moura celebrates his decisive third goal against Ajax. ‘The best feeling of my football life,’ he says. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Action Images via Reuters
TT

Lucas Moura: ‘I Saw a Guy Arrive and Put a Gun to the Driver’s Head’

Lucas Moura celebrates his decisive third goal against Ajax. ‘The best feeling of my football life,’ he says. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Action Images via Reuters
Lucas Moura celebrates his decisive third goal against Ajax. ‘The best feeling of my football life,’ he says. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Action Images via Reuters

Tottenham's Champions League hero on growing up in Brazil, the worst night of his career and turning down Manchester United

Lucas Moura was eight years old or maybe he was nine – he cannot remember exactly. But every other detail remains seared on to his consciousness. This is the kind of story that stays with its witnesses.

The Tottenham winger was out on the streets of Jardim Miriam – the unforgiving São Paulo neighborhood in which he grew up – and he was enjoying a kick-around with his friends, as he would always do. But then a van pulled up and, rather abruptly, Lucas could feel only the hammer of his heart and the urge to be very far away.

“I saw a guy arrive and put a gun to the driver’s head,” Lucas says. “Thank God he didn’t shoot. He only stole from him. The driver was delivering something – food, I think – and the guy stole everything. When I saw this, I ran.”

Lucas sighs when he reflects on how Jardim Miriam was blighted by gangs, guns, and drugs. He had friends who would choose the criminal life and some are in prison. Others are dead. “It’s the reality in Brazil,” the 26-year-old says. “If you ask almost every Brazilian player, they have some sad history to say. The area that I grew up in was really dangerous and I saw a lot of bad things.”

Yet the horrors, particularly the armed robbery, hardened Lucas’s conviction about his chosen path. Becoming a professional footballer would offer a better life. “I said to myself that day, I don’t want to be like this in my life, I don’t want to give this future to my family. I want to be a good example for my family, for my friends and for my area. I want my family and my friends to be proud of me.”

Lucas’s journey to the Champions League final with Liverpool on Saturday has featured its setbacks but it has been undercut by a ferocious determination that can seem at odds with his polite and ego‑free personality.

At junior school, he was the smallest and skinniest, the last to be picked, but he did not care. He believed in his qualities and they resulted in him being taken into the São Paulo youth setup at 13 – a move that necessitated leaving home.

Lucas left Brazil altogether at 20, bound for Paris Saint-Germain, a wonderkid with a £40m price‑tag and, initially, it was tough, as homesickness gripped. He got through it. And when he endured a terrible season last time out, having been bombed by Unai Emery at PSG and then struggled after his £25m January switch to Spurs, he kept the faith.

Lucas can tell a few tales of Champions League heartbreak. He was a part of the PSG team that fell to late goals in the quarter-finals of 2013 and 2014 against Barcelona and Chelsea respectively but they were nothing compared with the last-16 disaster of 2017, when they conceded three times after the 88th minute in Barcelona to lose 6-1 on the night and 6-5 on aggregate. Lucas had been substituted in the 55th minute. Helpless onlooker did not begin to cover it.

The lows have gilded this season’s highs, one being the late equalizer Lucas scored in Barcelona to edge Spurs into the last 16. That was cathartic. He also played in the memorable quarter-final victory over Manchester City. Yet everything pales when set alongside what happened at Ajax in the second leg of the semi-final.

Every Spurs fan can see Lucas’s 96th-minute hat-trick goal in their mind’s eye. The high ball forward from Moussa Sissoko; the flick from Fernando Llorente; the slip by Lisandro Magallán and the weighted pass into space by Dele Alli. Lucas is on the move, then he is sprinting and, as his stars align, he is whipping that low left-foot shot into the far corner.

Only four other players have scored Champions League semi-final hat-tricks – Alessandro Del Piero, Ivica Olic, Robert Lewandowski and Cristiano Ronaldo (twice) – and none of their efforts were embossed by such late drama. Spurs looked dead and buried at 3-0 down on aggregate at half-time in Amsterdam only for Lucas to summon a 3-3 finish and an away-goals triumph. He would break down in tears when shown a replay of the Brazilian TV coverage of his third goal.

“When I saw the video and heard the commentator, it was impossible to keep my emotions in,” Lucas says. “I remembered the 6-1 Barcelona game and the struggles I have had in my life. It has been my dream to play in the Champions League final and to win one and now I have the opportunity. The dream is real – that’s why I became emotional.

“I can now say I know the two sides. The Barcelona game was the worst feeling of my football life. When I got home, I cried all night. I said that I never wanted to feel like that again and so I worked harder to have another feeling and against City and then Ajax it came. The Ajax game was the best feeling of my football life. Moments like Barcelona must motivate you.

“It is impossible to describe the feeling when my hat-trick goal went in but I believed until the last seconds that we could do something. The coach always says we have to be mentally strong and fight to the end.”

Lucas draws his strength from a higher power and he has come to be defined by his Christianity. He did not embrace the Bible in Brazil but everything changed when he moved to Paris.

“I had difficult moments, I was injured and I missed my family and my country a lot,” Lucas says. “I started to be interested to know God better, I started to read the Bible and I quickly changed my mind about this. It gave structure to my life in Paris. My life with God today is my purity, my guide, because when you are sure God is with you – even in the bad moments, with bad things and bad people – it gives you focus. If I am strong today, if I believe in football, in victory, in every championship, it’s because I believe in God.”

The end of Lucas’s time at PSG was signaled, ironically, by the arrival of his close friend Neymar – together with that of Kylian Mbappé – in 2017. “What I most admire about Neymar is his personality,” Lucas says. “Even if everyone is saying bad things about him, he doesn’t care. He has so much personality to play, to do his skills. That’s why he’s Neymar, that’s why he’s a great player, because even in the bad moments, he does things that a lot of players cannot do.”

Emery could no longer accommodate Lucas – he used him for just 80 minutes in the first half of last season – and a transfer became inevitable. Manchester United, who had been close to getting him when he left São Paulo, made an offer to take him on loan but Lucas wanted greater certainty. He felt that Mauricio Pochettino and Spurs would provide it.

“There was a conversation with United but it was for a loan and I didn’t want a loan,” Lucas says. “I thought that if I left PSG, I didn’t want to go back. When I came to Tottenham, and I saw the training ground and met the coach, I said that I wanted to come here.”

Lucas started only two Premier League games last season and his one goal came at Rochdale in the FA Cup. “It was so cold that day,” Lucas says, with a smile. “In France, it’s cold but here it’s colder, for sure. For a Brazilian guy, it’s even more difficult.”

Lucas has found it easier this season. One measure of his adaptation is his excellent English and another is the 15 goals he has scored. After the hat-trick against Ajax, he put on 400,000 Instagram followers in two or three days – “Crazy,” he says – although the performance of his career has pressed him into a jam, of sorts.

“I need 40 tickets for the final as I want to bring all my family, friends and the people who have been important to my career and I have only 24,” Lucas says. “I’ve texted Alisson and Fabinho at Liverpool to ask for tickets because they have the same allocations as us but they couldn’t help. Can you help me?”

Errr. There is one. But it’s kind of taken. Lucas has long made it his business to help himself.

(The Guardian)



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.