Ankara Vows Retaliation against Syrian Regime Attacks on Turkish Observation Posts

Fighters of National Army, backed by Turkey, stand at a back of a truck in the city of al-Bab, Syria August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Fighters of National Army, backed by Turkey, stand at a back of a truck in the city of al-Bab, Syria August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
TT
20

Ankara Vows Retaliation against Syrian Regime Attacks on Turkish Observation Posts

Fighters of National Army, backed by Turkey, stand at a back of a truck in the city of al-Bab, Syria August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Fighters of National Army, backed by Turkey, stand at a back of a truck in the city of al-Bab, Syria August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi

Ankara warned neighboring Damascus that regime forces assaulting any Turkish observation posts set up in Syria’s northern Idlib province would be unacceptable.

Moscow and Tehran, both regime backers, were also asked to reign in Syrian army forces attacking Turkish assets in the war-torn Middle Eastern country.

According to the Defense Ministry, Turkey's 10th observation post was "deliberately" targeted in a recent mortar attack in which three soldiers were wounded.

Foreign Minister Mevlüt Cavusoglu confirmed that “Turkey won’t tolerate Syrian regime harassment of its soldiers,” just hours after an attack occurred. He stressed that Ankara “will teach them their place,” but that essentially it is the responsibility of Russia and Iran to halt the attacks.

Speaking during his visit to the southern Turkish province of Hatay, which is near borders with Syria, Cavusoglu held Russia and Iran responsible for regime actions based on arrangements achieved at the trilateral Syria peace talks held in the Kazakh capital, Astana.

Contrary to Russia and Iran, who act as backers of the Syrian regime, Turkey presents itself as a guarantor for opposition armed factions at the Astana sessions.

“At that point, stopping the regime is the responsibility of Russia and Iran, which we have been working with closely in Syria, so far. They are both guarantors of the regime in the political process and according to commitments on the ground,” Cavusoglu said.

Earlier Sunday, Syrian regime forces attacked a Turkish observation post in Idlib with no casualties; Turkey retaliated with heavy weapons, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

Regime forces have repeatedly targeted Turkish observation posts in de-escalation zones in Idlib and Hama provinces in north and central Syria.

Ankara, therefore, considered the recent attack a breach of the Sochi agreement with Russia, which established a buffer zone to protect Idlib’s armed opposition factions from regime offensives—it was reached last September between Ankara and Moscow.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, for his part, vowed Turkey would retaliate against Syrian regime attacks against its assets in Syria.



Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Kurdish Fighters Leave Northern City in Syria as Part of Deal with Central Government

A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)
A first contingent of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters leave Aleppo, headed for SDF-controlled northeastern Syria, in Aleppo, Syria, 04 April 2025. (EPA)

Scores of US-backed Kurdish fighters left two neighborhoods in Syria’s northern city of Aleppo Friday as part of a deal with the central government in Damascus, which is expanding its authority in the country.

The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh, which had been under the control of Kurdish fighters in Aleppo over the past decade.

The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month between Syria’s interim government and the Kurdish-led authority that controls the country’s northeast. The deal could eventually lead to the merger of the main US-backed force in Syria into the Syrian army.

The withdrawal of fighters from the US-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) came a day after dozens of prisoners from both sides were freed in Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.

Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that government forces were deployed along the road that SDF fighters will use to move between Aleppo and areas east of the Euphrates River, where the Kurdish-led force controls nearly a quarter of Syria.

Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh had been under SDF control since 2015 and remained so even when forces of ousted President Bashar al-Assad captured Aleppo in late 2016. The two neighborhoods remained under SDF control when forces loyal to current interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa captured the city in November, and days later captured the capital, Damascus, removing Assad from power.

After being marginalized for decades under the rule of the Assad family rule, the deal signed last month promises Syria’s Kurds “constitutional rights,” including using and teaching their language, which were banned for decades.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurds, who were displaced during Syria’s nearly 14-year civil war, will return to their homes. Thousands of Kurds living in Syria who have been deprived of nationality for decades under Assad will be given the right of citizenship, according to the agreement.

Kurds made up 10% of the country’s prewar population of 23 million. Kurdish leaders say they don’t want full autonomy with their own government and parliament. They want decentralization and room to run their day-to day-affairs.