Iraq’s PMF to Form Air Force Directorate

PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo
PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo
TT
20

Iraq’s PMF to Form Air Force Directorate

PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo
PMF members patrol an area in Tuz, southern Kirkuk city, Iraq, 17 October 2017. EPA file photo

Deputy chief of the Popular Mobilization Forces Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes announced Thursday the formation of the air force directorate, weeks after growing air strikes against PMF locations in Baghdad and other provinces that its officials have blamed on Israel.

An official letter said that Salah Mahdi Hantoush was appointed acting director of the air force directorate.

The order was signed by the PMF deputy chief and not by Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi or PMF chief and national security adviser Faleh Fayyad, a sign of growing inter-PMF disputes.

Last month, Mohandes held Israel responsible for the blasts on PMF camps and depots, threatening to respond to the attacks.

However, Fayyad respected the position of the Iraqi government, and said he would wait for the release of final results of investigations conducted by a fact-finding committee tasked with probing the explosions.

Iraqi security expert Hashem al-Hashemi said the formation of a new air force is an embarrassment for the Iraqi PM, mainly if the air defense system was bought without the approval of the Defense Ministry.

“Only Iranians will accept to sell weapons to the PMF without coordinating with the Defense Ministry,” the expert said.

Meanwhile, Iraqi Defense Minister Najah Al-Shammari referred on Thursday several officers and commanders to military courts on corruption charges.

In a brief statement, the Ministry said: “Defense Minister Najah Al-Shammari ordered the transfer of some high-ranking officers and commanders to the competent military courts on charges related to corruption.”



Netanyahu Says Israel Is Establishing a New Security Corridor across Gaza

An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Netanyahu Says Israel Is Establishing a New Security Corridor across Gaza

An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel is establishing a new security corridor across the Gaza Strip.

In a statement on Wednesday, he described it as the Morag corridor, using the name of a Jewish settlement that once stood between Rafah and Khan Younis, suggesting it would run between the two southern cities.

His comments came as Palestinian officials at hospitals inside Gaza said Israeli strikes overnight and into Wednesday had killed more than 40 people, nearly a dozen of them children.

The Israeli government has long maintained a buffer zone just inside Gaza along its security fence and has greatly expanded since the war against Hamas began in 2023. Israel says the buffer zone is needed for its security, while Palestinians view it as a land grab that further shrinks the narrow coastal territory, home to around 2 million people.