From Chaos to Contenders: How Fulham Have Bounced Back

Aleksandar Mitrovic (left) has scored 23 goals in 24 appearances for club and country since August. Photograph: Holly Allison/TPI/Shutterstock
Aleksandar Mitrovic (left) has scored 23 goals in 24 appearances for club and country since August. Photograph: Holly Allison/TPI/Shutterstock
TT

From Chaos to Contenders: How Fulham Have Bounced Back

Aleksandar Mitrovic (left) has scored 23 goals in 24 appearances for club and country since August. Photograph: Holly Allison/TPI/Shutterstock
Aleksandar Mitrovic (left) has scored 23 goals in 24 appearances for club and country since August. Photograph: Holly Allison/TPI/Shutterstock

Twelve months is a long time in football. This time last season Fulham were sinking without trace, bottom of the Premier League after a run of eight defeats in nine matches and on their second manager of the season. A year on, and after a long look in the mirror, the team are almost unrecognizable – only four players started Friday’s win over Swansea and the final day of last season at Craven Cottage. But some things never change: Aleksandar Mitrovic is still scoring goals, and lots of them. Since August the Serbia striker has scored 23 times in 24 appearances for club and country.

For Aboubakar Kamara, the turnaround has been even more remarkable. Banned indefinitely from the club’s Motspur Park training base and sent on loan to the Turkish club Yeni Malatyaspor after an altercation with a member of security staff in January, Kamara was reintegrated into the first-team squad in the summer and has seemingly put a turbulent start to the year behind him.

Those at Fulham feel the forward has matured since that incident and he has been influential this season, notably scoring twice against Queens Park Rangers last month in the absence of Mitrovic, with whom he clashed with during a yoga session last season. “You’ve got to manage Abou differently – it’s not the same as how you manage some of the others,” said the Fulham head coach, Scott Parker. “Abou’s not been a problem since I stepped into this role. Maybe the perception on the outside is very different to the reality and the reality is he’s a well-respected, appreciated member of this squad.”

There are few remnants of the supermarket sweep of two summers ago, with Fabri, Jean Michaël Seri and André-Frank Zambo Anguissa sent on loan and Ryan Babel’s red hair and Lazar Markovic’s long locks a distant memory. Those four survivors from that 4-0 defeat by Newcastle United in May – Mitrovic, Alfie Mawson, Joe Bryan and the captain Tom Cairney – are key pillars of Parker’s side. Mawson, who spent most of last season injured, has been ever-present this season, while Bryan, who excelled in the second tier with Bristol City, visitors to Fulham on Saturday, has proved a consistent performer.

Tying Cairney and, more pertinently, Mitrovic to long-term contracts in the summer has proved a masterstroke. “He is motivated by goals,” Parker said of the Serb. “His general all-round play is first class. We can mix our game up, go up to him and he can give us a platform because of his physical presence; we can also play it into his feet and build around him. I think he enjoys being at this club – it’s a place where he is comfortable. We are delighted we have him on our books and he is scoring the goals for us.”

Only the league leaders, West Bromwich Albion, have more goals than Fulham’s 31 goals this season, a haul matched by Bristol City and Preston. Keeping the ball out of their net was Fulham’s undoing last season – they conceded 81 times, the worst by any club in the Premier League since the club’s relegation in 2015. However Parker has soothed their defensive frailties, with Mawson’s return to fitness and form a key factor.

In January Michael Hector, outstanding on loan at Sheffield Wednesday last season, will sign from Chelsea to bolster their defensive options. Fulham, who are on a four-match winning streak, are third and well-placed to compete for the automatic promotion places, where the vice-chairman, Tony Khan, has said he wants them to be. Parker acknowledged Fulham had established a healthy platform to build on but December will provide the best barometer of their progress, with matches against four teams of the division’s top seven before Christmas: Bristol City, Preston, Brentford, and Leeds.

It is not only Mitrovic who is scoring, with the Under-21s striker Timmy Abraham, younger brother of the Chelsea striker Tammy, scoring in both his EFL Trophy appearances, while the England youth international Jay Stansfield is the leading scorer in the Under-18 Premier League. Stansfield is the son of the former Exeter City forward Adam, who died following cancer treatment aged 31 in 2010, and there was a hope he would go on to wear the No 9 shirt retired following his father’s death. “Jay always played up a year,” said Julian Tagg, the Exeter chairman. “He always gave the proverbial 110%. He is exactly the same as his father – he wants to win and is a very good goalscorer.”

Exeter are proud of Stansfield’s development but his departure in the summer was also galling given they received only £150,000 in compensation. For Exeter, who got an initial £850,000 from Chelsea for a 16-year-old Ethan Ampadu two years ago, it represented another sucker punch after RB Leipzig paid £500,000 to sign the Wales international on a season’s loan in July. There is an air of resignation that Ben Chrisene, who made his senior debut aged 15 in August, will be next, with Liverpool, Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Leipzig among those tracking the midfielder. Fulham, too, sold teenage talents in the summer, with Ryan Sessegnon and Harvey Elliott joining Tottenham and Liverpool respectively, but after a traumatic return to the top flight, the future again looks bright by the Thames.

(The Guardian)



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.