Divided Cyprus Eyes Impact of Turkey's Man Winning Northern Vote

Newly-elected Turkish Cypriot president Ersin Tatar celebrates after winning to vote Sunday. (AFP)
Newly-elected Turkish Cypriot president Ersin Tatar celebrates after winning to vote Sunday. (AFP)
TT

Divided Cyprus Eyes Impact of Turkey's Man Winning Northern Vote

Newly-elected Turkish Cypriot president Ersin Tatar celebrates after winning to vote Sunday. (AFP)
Newly-elected Turkish Cypriot president Ersin Tatar celebrates after winning to vote Sunday. (AFP)

Breakaway northern Cyprus has elected the Ankara-backed right-wing nationalist Ersin Tatar as its leader in a surprise win at a time of heightened tensions in the eastern Mediterranean.

Tatar, 60, clinched victory late Sunday in a second round of the "presidential" election in the self-proclaimed Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).

The Cambridge-educated chartered accountant won 51.7 percent of the vote.

With Turkey an increasingly assertive regional actor, Tatar's win could help shift the balance of power in the region and impact reunification efforts for divided Cyprus.

Why did Tatar win?

Tatar won the first-round vote on October 11 with 32 percent, ahead of outgoing leader Mustafa Akinci who won 30 percent.

Akinci's relationship with Ankara had come under strain, especially after he described the prospect of the north's annexation by Turkey as "horrible" in February.

But while Akinci had secured the backing of Tufan Erhurman -- a fellow social democrat who came third in the first round -- that support was not enough.

Political scientist Mete Hatay, from the PRIO Cyprus Centre, said it was Turkish settlers and immigrants with TRNC citizenship --- making up nearly a third of voters -- that tipped the balance.

"Settlers' votes went to Ersin Tatar, especially in rural areas," Hatay said.

Support for Tatar from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was also key.

Days before the first round, Tatar had announced -- from Ankara, along with Erdogan -- the partial reopening of the fenced-off seaside ghost town of Varosha for the first time since Turkish forces invaded the north in 1974.

Turkey has also supplied northern Cyprus with a 100-bed hospital for coronavirus cases and fixed an undersea freshwater pipeline.

When Akinci admitted defeat, he referred to Turkish interventions in the election.

Last week, he claimed that pro-Turkish media were carrying out a "disinformation campaign" and that he had received threats urging him to withdraw.

What does it mean for Cyprus' future?

Cyprus has been divided since Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third in 1974 in reaction to a Greek-engineered coup aiming to annex the island.

The TRNC, now with a population of about 300,000, is recognized only by Turkey.

The Republic of Cyprus, which is in control of the mainly Greek-speaking south, has been a European Union member since 2004.

The two sides are separated by a UN-patrolled buffer zone.

The last attempt at UN-mediated negotiations collapsed in Switzerland in July 2017.

While Akinci had revived hopes for reunification by advocating the creation of a federal state, Tatar defends a two-state solution.

In his victory speech, Tatar said he would return to the negotiating table "when necessary", but said that Turkish Cypriots would "not compromise" on certain points essential to their "sovereignty".

"Our neighbors in the south and world community should respect our fight for freedom," Tatar said.

The UN is expected to convene a meeting between the two sides, Turkey, Greece -- the key ally of Greek Cypriots -- as well as former colonial ruler Britain.

On Monday, Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades called on Tatar to back the UN-led peace initiative, after Turkey's Erdogan had said earlier he would work with Tatar "to resolve the Cyprus issue".

A spokesman for Anastasiades' government later said that the Greek-Cypriot president and Tatar had agreed to meet in the UN buffer zone, at an undecided date.

The TRNC is already economically and politically dependent on Turkey -- not least because some 30,000 Turkish troops are on Cypriot soil.

Tatar's win is expected to deepen those ties further -- with some fearing the specter of annexation.

"Anything is possible nowadays in this crazy world," Hatay said, but added he did not see annexation imminently.

"They have to get Turkish Cypriots on board for that, and even those who support Tatar are not ready at this stage," he said.

What impact for the Eastern Med?

Northern Cyprus is a centerpiece of Turkey's strategy in the eastern Mediterranean, including a bitter dispute with Greece and Cyprus over oil and gas reserves.

The EU has deplored Turkey's drilling for hydrocarbons in disputed waters and warned Ankara against further "provocations".

In a call with Tatar after his victory, Erdogan said their cooperation would continue -- "starting with activities related to hydrocarbons".

But new leadership could also bring a chance of fresh talks. UN-led discussions on Cyprus will bring Greece and Turkey to the same table -- and that could help talks on wider issues, analysts say.

"This process will not only be about solving Cyprus problem," Hatay said. "It will also be about easing the tensions in the region."



US Voices Hope on Iran Deal Progress Before Pakistan Army Chief Visit

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

US Voices Hope on Iran Deal Progress Before Pakistan Army Chief Visit

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio voiced hope on Thursday of progress on ending the war with Iran, with mediator Pakistan's army chief due to arrive in Iran for talks.

The expected visit by Field Marshal Asim Munir, a powerful figure with a growing role in Pakistan's foreign relations, comes a day after US President Donald Trump warned that negotiations to end the war were on the "borderline" between a deal and renewed strikes.

"I believe the Pakistanis will be travelling to Tehran today. So hopefully that'll advance this further," Rubio told reporters on Thursday, according to Reuters.

A ceasefire on April 8 halted the war launched weeks earlier by the US and Israel, but negotiation efforts have so far failed to yield a lasting peace agreement.

A war of words has taken the place of open conflict but the impasse continues to weigh on the world economy, leaving everyone from investors to farmers in a painful state of uncertainty.

On Thursday, Iran's ISNA news agency said Munir's visit was aimed at continuing "talks and consultations" with Iranian authorities, without providing details. Other Iranian media carried the same report.

Pakistan hosted in April the only direct negotiations between US and Iranian officials to take place since February 28, the day the war began.

Munir was at the center of the action during that round of talks, greeting both delegations on their arrival and displaying remarkable bonhomie with US Vice President JD Vance.

But the talks ultimately failed, with Iran accusing the US of making "excessive demands".

Since then, the two sides have exchanged multiple proposals, with the threat of renewed war looming all along.

"It's right on the borderline, believe me," Trump told reporters Wednesday. "If we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go."

He said a deal could come "very quickly" or "in a few days", but warned Tehran would have to provide "100 percent good answers".

Rubio also criticized NATO allies for their refusal to help Trump's war against Iran.

"He's not asking them to commit troops. He's not asking them to send their fighter jets in. But they refuse to do anything," he said.

"We were very upset about that."

Tehran's chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday accused Washington of seeking to restart the war, warning of a "forceful response" if Iran were to be attacked.

"The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war," Ghalibaf said.

Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Iran was examining points received from Washington, while repeating Tehran's demands for the release of its assets frozen abroad and an end to a US naval blockade.

Trump is under political pressure at home as energy costs rise.

The ceasefire halted the fighting but has not reopened the Strait of Hormuz, the vital waterway that normally carries about a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas.

The future of Hormuz remains a key sticking point in the negotiations, with fears growing that the global economy will feel more pain as pre-war oil stockpiles run down.

Iran imposed the blockade of Hormuz as part of its retaliation in the war, allowing only a trickle of vessels through in recent weeks while introducing a toll system.


Trump Postpones Signing Order on AI Oversight

US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
TT

Trump Postpones Signing Order on AI Oversight

US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK

US President Donald Trump on Thursday said he had postponed signing an executive order on AI because he "didn't like certain aspects of it."

Trump had planned to sign the order at a ceremony on Thursday afternoon attended by CEOs of AI companies.

The order would create a voluntary framework for AI developers to ⁠engage with the ⁠US government before the public release of covered models, two sources told Reuters on Wednesday.

The president also had planned to direct the US government to use the advanced models to improve the cybersecurity defenses of ⁠government systems, along with networks owned by sectors that are vital to the nation's economy, such as banks and hospitals, according to another source.

Concerns are growing across the US government and in the private sector about the cybersecurity risks posed by powerful new AI systems, including Anthropic’s Mythos.

Anthropic has warned that Mythos could supercharge complex cyberattacks, though cybersecurity experts ⁠told ⁠Reuters that fears of unfettered hacking are overstated.

The president's executive order, if implemented, could hurt the industry's profits if it slows the rollout of new models or prompts companies to change how they perform to address security concerns.

Trump, who spoke to reporters on Thursday in the Oval Office, did not say which parts of the order he didn't like.


Teen Among 3 Dead in Türkiye after Floods, Landslides Hit Southern Province

FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
TT

Teen Among 3 Dead in Türkiye after Floods, Landslides Hit Southern Province

FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)

Three people have died during flooding in southern Türkiye on Thursday, officials said, as the Interior Ministry issued weather warnings for 15 of the country's 81 provinces.

Heavy rainfall in Hatay, the province most affected by a devastating earthquake in 2023, caused the Asi river, also known as the Orontes, to break its banks, submerging fields and villages. Roads and bridges were also washed away, The Associated Press reported.

Among the victims was a 15-year-old boy who died in a house that collapsed during a landslide in Antakya, the provincial capital, Hatay Gov. Mustafa Masatli said.

A 66-year-old man died when his car rolled into a ditch in Defne, while and another man, aged 62, was swept away in floodwaters in the Samandag district.

Masatli said the flooding had caused significant damage to agriculture across 2,900 hectares (7,166 acres) as disaster teams continued to assess the impact. Firefighters rescued many people by boat as residents bailed out their homes and tried to hold the waters at bay with makeshift barriers.