Quds Force Commander Holds onto Retaliation Against US over Soleimani Assassination

Commander of the Quds Force Esmail Qaani, with Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Chief Commander Hossein Salami (file photo: AFP)
Commander of the Quds Force Esmail Qaani, with Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Chief Commander Hossein Salami (file photo: AFP)
TT

Quds Force Commander Holds onto Retaliation Against US over Soleimani Assassination

Commander of the Quds Force Esmail Qaani, with Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Chief Commander Hossein Salami (file photo: AFP)
Commander of the Quds Force Esmail Qaani, with Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Chief Commander Hossein Salami (file photo: AFP)

The commander of the Quds Force, Esmail Qaani, has renewed threats of retaliation against Washington over the assassination of his predecessor, Qassem Soleimani, asserting that it will be done on US soil.

Qaani said that his troops had already initiated their operations to avenge Soleimani’s death, adding that they will soon reach “endpoint.”

Speaking during a ceremony in Soleimani’s hometown, Kerman, Qaani advised US officials to stay indoors, warning that the revenge has begun, according to local media.

He also vowed to launch cyber-attacks against the US.

Hours before Qaani’s comments, the FBI launched a special investigation into the violation of the air traffic control system in New York, after a threat was made this week to fly planes into the US Capitol.

The anonymous threat claimed the attack would be a vengeance for the US killing of Soleimani and will be executed on the same day Congress was set to count the Electoral College results.

The FBI said it takes “all threats of violence to public safety seriously.”

The Federal Aviation Administration said it is in contact with law enforcement to ensure the safety of civil aviation.

Multiple sources indicated that the threat does not seem credible, and it is not clear who sent it.

CBS News, which was the first to report the news, revealed an audio clip sent Monday evening to a number of air traffic control towers in New York, threatening to strike the Capitol building.

“We are flying a plane into the Capitol on Wednesday. Soleimani will be avenged,” said the recording.

The government does not believe the warning of an attack is credible and it is being investigated as a breach of aviation frequencies, according to state sources.

CBS reported a meeting between the Pentagon and other agencies to discuss the digitized voice recording.

Officials are concerned over aviation safety and air navigation because the penetration of the control towers and the frequencies used to guide pilots may present a threat in the future.

Air traffic controllers were asked to report immediately any threat or a plane deviating from its flight path.

Earlier, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Bloomberg that the US is ready to deal with any Iranian aggression.

Pompeo revealed Iranian officials’ daily talk about an attack on the US, threatening the President, himself, and other senior leaders of the US government.

“They threaten Israel nearly daily. Yes, we’re on guard. We’re always ready.”

Meanwhile, Iran’s Defense Minister Amir Hatami said that Iran has strong evidence of Israel’s involvement in the assassination of top Iranian scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.

Hatami sent a letter to 60 defense ministers worldwide requesting they condemn "the Zionist regime" for the “inhumane, illegitimate and criminal move.”

He warned that the lack of response from the international community could lead to an Iranian response to the assassination, which might undermine the regional and world stability.

Fakhrizadeh, long suspected by the West of masterminding Iran's nuclear program, was killed in an ambush near Tehran last year.



Russia Downs 180 Drones in Moscow Region Overnight

Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
TT

Russia Downs 180 Drones in Moscow Region Overnight

Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)

Russia downed 180 drones in the Moscow region overnight, the capital's mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, said on the Telegram messaging app early on Tuesday, in one of the biggest Ukrainian air ‌attacks on ‌the Russian capital.

Drones ‌hit ⁠a warehouse of ⁠Russian e-commerce company Wildberries and other facilities near Moscow, regional governor Andrei Vorobyov said separately, adding that at least three ⁠people, including a 10-year-old ‌girl, were ‌injured in the region, reported Reuters.

Wildberries, a ‌frequent target of ‌Kyiv's attacks following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, said in a statement that the ‌warehouse experienced minor damage after drone debris hit ⁠one ⁠of its walls.

Overall, 620 drones were heading for the region surrounding the Russian capital between Monday evening and 5 a.m. (0200 GMT), according to Sobyanin, and Moscow was temporarily restricting flights at its airports.


UKMTO: Vessel Struck by Unknown Projectile in Strait of Hormuz, Crew Casualty Reported

Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
TT

UKMTO: Vessel Struck by Unknown Projectile in Strait of Hormuz, Crew Casualty Reported

Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) received a report on Tuesday that a vessel was struck ‌by an ‌unknown projectile ‌while ⁠transiting outbound in the ⁠Strait of Hormuz, causing engine room damage and a crew casualty, with the ⁠remaining crew being ‌assisted ‌by the Omani Coast ‌Guard, Reuters said.

No environmental impact ‌has been reported and authorities are investigating, UKMTO said.

The incident ‌comes as shipping through the Strait of ⁠Hormuz remains ⁠severely disrupted, with vessel crossings still in the single digits, down from more than 130 a day before the war.


Trump Hints at Kim Contacts after Scaling Back Seoul Drills

(FILES) North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump cross south of the Military Demarcation Line that divides North and South Korea, after Trump briefly stepped over to the northern side, in the Joint Security Area (JSA) of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized zone (DMZ) on June 30, 2019. (Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP)
(FILES) North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump cross south of the Military Demarcation Line that divides North and South Korea, after Trump briefly stepped over to the northern side, in the Joint Security Area (JSA) of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized zone (DMZ) on June 30, 2019. (Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP)
TT

Trump Hints at Kim Contacts after Scaling Back Seoul Drills

(FILES) North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump cross south of the Military Demarcation Line that divides North and South Korea, after Trump briefly stepped over to the northern side, in the Joint Security Area (JSA) of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized zone (DMZ) on June 30, 2019. (Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP)
(FILES) North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump cross south of the Military Demarcation Line that divides North and South Korea, after Trump briefly stepped over to the northern side, in the Joint Security Area (JSA) of Panmunjom in the Demilitarized zone (DMZ) on June 30, 2019. (Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP)

US President Donald Trump said Monday that Kim Jong Un had responded to his recent overtures, a day after he scaled back military drills with South Korea and praised his relationship with the North Korean leader.

Trump said he was making the situation "much safer" through his ties to Kim, whom he met three times in his first spell in the White House but has yet to encounter during his second term, reported AFP.

While praising the leader of nuclear-armed North Korea, he rebuked key ally Seoul for failing to help Washington fight Iran -- a war Trump says is aimed at stopping Tehran from getting an atomic bomb.

Asked why Kim had not replied to his requests for a conversation since returning to office last year, Trump told reporters in the Oval Office: "How do you know he hasn't responded?"

When pressed about whether Kim had actually responded, Trump said: "Yeah, he has."

Asked what stage the conversations with Kim were at, Trump said "it's very positive," but provided no further detail.

Trump then doubled down on his praise for Kim, saying their ties reduced tensions.

"You see, I'm actually making it much safer. Kim Jong Un has always treated me with great respect," Trump said. "I understand him. He understands me."

- 'Strange' -

Trump initially took aim at South Korea on his Truth Social network on Sunday night, abruptly announcing that he had ordered the Pentagon to scale back "inappropriate and hostile" military drills with Seoul.

He also linked the decision to South Korea's refusal to help with the US-Israeli war with Iran.

"Wait a minute. We have 39,000 soldiers over there, guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next-door neighbor, and you're not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran. That's strange," Trump said in the Oval Office.

Trump once again called into question US support for both South Korea and NATO allies that have refused to contribute to the Iran war.

"We can't go around and protect all of these countries, especially when they're not there to help us," he said.

South Korean officials said the exercises had begun as planned and that they hoped the personal chemistry between Trump and Kim would bring them back to talks.

On Tuesday, Seoul's presidential office said the drills did not reflect "any intention to attack North Korea or escalate tensions on the Korean peninsula."

President Lee Jae Myung reiterated that their fundamental purpose is "not to treat a specific entity as an adversary, but to safeguard the safe and peaceful daily lives of the people," his office added.

North Korea has not responded publicly, although it has previously voiced anger at the regular joint maneuvers that take place in the South.

The top US Senate Democrat on military affairs slammed Trump's order to downsize the drills, and said China and Russia were "watching how easily this president abandons America's allies."

"This is another inane, haphazard decision by President Trump and his chaotic administration," Senate Armed Services Committee ranking member Jack Reed said.

- Asian anxiety -

The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are designed to prepare for a possible war with North Korea.

Colonel Ryan Donald, spokesman for the US and South Korean Combined Forces Command, has said they will simulate combat against North Korean troops hardened by their deployment on Russia's side in its invasion of Ukraine.

Seoul's presidential office told AFP it remained in "close coordination" with Washington over the exercises.

Pyongyang decries the drills as dress rehearsals for an invasion.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country's defenses, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.

But Trump's repeated criticism of time-honored alliances has cast doubt on US commitments to security in East Asia.

The announcement of the scaled-down drills came as the only US aircraft carrier operating in the Pacific region, the USS George Washington, is being redeployed to the Middle East to relieve the long-deployed USS Lincoln, which has been the focus of concerns over mental health and supply issues.