Sullivan in Saudi Arabia to Discuss Yemen, Iran

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan gives a statement about the situation in Afghanistan during a news briefing at the White House in Washington, US, August 23, 2021. (Reuters)
US national security adviser Jake Sullivan gives a statement about the situation in Afghanistan during a news briefing at the White House in Washington, US, August 23, 2021. (Reuters)
TT

Sullivan in Saudi Arabia to Discuss Yemen, Iran

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan gives a statement about the situation in Afghanistan during a news briefing at the White House in Washington, US, August 23, 2021. (Reuters)
US national security adviser Jake Sullivan gives a statement about the situation in Afghanistan during a news briefing at the White House in Washington, US, August 23, 2021. (Reuters)

US President Joe Biden’s national security adviser Jake Sullivan kicked off on Monday a tour of the Middle East, starting with Saudi Arabia where he is set to hold talks in Neom on Tuesday with senior officials.

Sullivan will be the highest-ranking Biden administration official to visit Saudi Arabia since the president assumed office in January.

His talks will cover the Iranian nuclear file and efforts to make the Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen accept peace initiatives and end the war.

National Security Council spokesperson Emily Horne said Sullivan was traveling to Riyadh on Monday and would also visit the United Arab Emirates.

He will be accompanied by Timothy Lenderking, the US envoy to Yemen, and National Security Council senior director for the Middle East Brett McGurk.

Former undersecretary at the Yemeni foreign ministry Mustafa al-Numan described Sullivan’s trip as the “most significant” in the course of the Yemen war.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he said the visit was a clear message that ending the conflict in Yemen was a priority to Biden as it is to Saudi Arabia.

The visit means that ending the war is a matter of US national security, he noted.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin planned to travel to Saudi Arabia earlier this month while he was in the region but postponed due to what the administration said were scheduling issues.

Sullivan had met in July with Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman in Washington.

A statement at the time said they discussed the longstanding partnership between the US and Saudi Arabia, as well as regional security and Washington’s commitment to helping the Kingdom defend its territories against attacks launched by groups that are allied with Iran.



Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad

Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad

Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s condemnation and denunciation of the cowardly terrorist attack on a military base in the Republic of Chad, which resulted in the deaths and injuries of several security personnel.

In a statement, the ministry reiterated the Kingdom’s firm rejection of terrorist and extremist acts that attempt to undermine the security and stability of Chad and its brotherly people.

The statement said: “The Kingdom affirms its solidarity with and support for the government and people of the Republic of Chad in the wake of this painful tragedy, extending its sincere condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims and to the government and people of Chad, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.


Saudi FM Discusses Regional Developments with Portuguese Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
TT

Saudi FM Discusses Regional Developments with Portuguese Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received a phone call from Portugal’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Paulo Rangel.

During the call, they discussed the latest developments in the region and efforts to maintain security and stability.


GCC Secretary-General Meets with UK Foreign Secretary in London

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi
TT

GCC Secretary-General Meets with UK Foreign Secretary in London

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi has met with UK’s Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs Yvette Cooper in London.

During Wednesday’s meeting, the two sides reviewed Gulf-British relations. They affirmed that the signing of the joint statement concluding the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations embodies a new, deeply rooted era for Gulf-British relations.

They also exchanged views on the latest regional developments, stressing the imporance of intensifying international and regional efforts to enhance security and stability.