Russia Says West Helping Ukraine Prepare Fake Allegations of War Crimes

People hold placards with slogans against a massacre in Bucha during a pro-Ukrainian demonstration, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, outside Downing Street, in London, Britain, April 9, 2022. (Reuters)
People hold placards with slogans against a massacre in Bucha during a pro-Ukrainian demonstration, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, outside Downing Street, in London, Britain, April 9, 2022. (Reuters)
TT

Russia Says West Helping Ukraine Prepare Fake Allegations of War Crimes

People hold placards with slogans against a massacre in Bucha during a pro-Ukrainian demonstration, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, outside Downing Street, in London, Britain, April 9, 2022. (Reuters)
People hold placards with slogans against a massacre in Bucha during a pro-Ukrainian demonstration, amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine, outside Downing Street, in London, Britain, April 9, 2022. (Reuters)

Moscow said on Monday that the United States and Britain were helping Ukraine prepare fake claims about the alleged persecution of civilians in Ukraine to feed to international media in an attempt to smear Russia.

Since Russian troops withdrew from towns and villages around the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, Ukrainian troops have been showing journalists corpses of what they say are civilians killed by Russian forces, destroyed houses and burnt-out cars.

The West says the dead civilians are evidence of war crimes. Reuters reporters saw dead bodies in the town of Bucha but could not independently verify who was responsible for the killings.

Russia's defense ministry said Ukraine's government was being directed by the United States to sow false evidence of Russian violence against civilians despite what it cast as Moscow's "unprecedented measures to save civilians."

"The United States, which has many years of experience in organizing provocations with human victims, continues its campaign to create and promote false 'evidence'," the ministry said.

Ukraine says Russia is guilty of genocide and has called on the West and the NATO military alliance to give it more support.

Russia said British intelligence was helping Ukraine to prepare new fake claims about alleged abuses in northeastern Ukraine. The defense ministry did not provide evidence for its claims of British and US involvement.

"New false staged provocations accusing the armed forces of the Russian Federation of allegedly cruel treatment of the population of Ukraine are being prepared by the Kiev regime under the leadership of British special services on the territory of the Sumy region," the ministry said.

Russia said Western journalists had been invited to the Sumy region in northeastern Ukraine to "conduct the filming of staged plots". The ministry said Western media would publish such fake news shortly. It did not say which media.

It said that Russian troops had left the alleged scene of some of the abuses, the Ukrainian village of Nyzhnya Syrovatka, on March 20.

"The goal is to further stoke Russophobia against the backdrop of the rapidly developing economic crisis in Europe," the ministry said.

Russia's Feb. 24 invasion of Ukraine has killed thousands of people, displaced millions and raised fears of a wider confrontation between Russia and the United States.

Putin says the "special military operation" in Ukraine is necessary because the United States was using Ukraine to threaten Russia and Moscow had to act to defend Russian-speaking people in Ukraine against persecution.

Ukraine says it is fighting against an imperial-style land grab and dismisses Putin's claims of genocide as nonsense.



Thousands in Indonesia Await Aid After Quake Kills 54, Overshadowing Independence Day

 Soldiers work to move medical supplies out of a damaged hospital in the aftermath of an earthquake in Nagekeo, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Soldiers work to move medical supplies out of a damaged hospital in the aftermath of an earthquake in Nagekeo, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Thousands in Indonesia Await Aid After Quake Kills 54, Overshadowing Independence Day

 Soldiers work to move medical supplies out of a damaged hospital in the aftermath of an earthquake in Nagekeo, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Soldiers work to move medical supplies out of a damaged hospital in the aftermath of an earthquake in Nagekeo, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

Thousands of people were still waiting for aid on the Indonesian island of Flores as the country celebrated its 81st Independence Day on Monday, days after a powerful earthquake killed at least 54 people, injured dozens and damaged hundreds of homes and other buildings.

Many residents spent the day mourning victims, searching for loved ones and waiting for aid to arrive to communities still cut off by the deadly quake.

More than 1,300 homes were damaged when the quake struck East Nusa Tenggara province on Saturday, with nearly 250 were destroyed on Flores alone. Some 5,000 people were forced into temporary shelters and 135 people were injured, according to the National Disaster Management Agency.

The province's governor declared a 14-day state of emergency on Sunday.

The quake occurred at a depth of 10 kilometers (6 miles) shortly before 6 a.m. Saturday, according to the US Geological Survey, and residents fled in panic as tsunami warnings were issued and later lifted. Authorities have since recorded at least 995 aftershocks, but only 46 were felt by residents.

Thousands of people on Flores camped outside collapsed homes under tarpaulin tents overnight into Monday, sleeping outside because of the danger of more aftershocks.

An Associated Press photojournalist saw widespread devastation across the island, with fallen trees blocking roads, giant boulders hurled downslope by landslides, and homes left shattered or heavily damaged. Parked cars were crushed when buildings collapsed during the quake.

For many residents, the disaster revived painful memories of a powerful earthquake and tsunami that struck Flores in 1992, killing about 2,500 people.

"My house is just rubble now,” said Rasyid Jafar, a clothing trader in the village of Reo, the hardest-hit area in Manggarai regency. “We need food, medicine and clean water urgently.”

More than 3,500 military and police personnel have been deployed across the disaster zone and 275 tons of aid have been to the area, though logistical challenges have slowed deliveries to some hard-hit communities.

While some relief has trickled in, survivors say they still need equipment to cook food.

“We have nothing left ... Why isn’t there a public kitchen?" said Mariana Tewu, another villager in Reo.

Indonesia, an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands, is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions because of its location on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” a horseshoe-shaped arc of seismic faults and volcanoes.

In 2018, a magnitude 7.5 earthquake triggered a tsunami on the island of Sulawesi that killed more than 4,400 people. In 2004, a magnitude 9.1 quake off Sumatra unleashed a tsunami that killed about 230,000 people in a dozen countries, nearly 170,000 in Aceh province alone.


Xi Leads Event Marking Late Leader Jiang Zemin’s 100th Birth Anniversary

Chinese President Xi Jinping attends a signing ceremony with Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa (not pictured) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 31, 2024. (Reuters)
Chinese President Xi Jinping attends a signing ceremony with Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa (not pictured) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 31, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Xi Leads Event Marking Late Leader Jiang Zemin’s 100th Birth Anniversary

Chinese President Xi Jinping attends a signing ceremony with Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa (not pictured) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 31, 2024. (Reuters)
Chinese President Xi Jinping attends a signing ceremony with Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa (not pictured) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 31, 2024. (Reuters)

Top Chinese officials led by President Xi Jinping gathered in the Great Hall of the People on Monday to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of late leader Jiang Zemin, who led China in a pivotal phase in its rise from a marginal economy to a global growth engine.

Jiang, who died in 2022 at the age of 96, confounded naysayers and led the country through a decade of rapid economic growth after the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown on pro-democracy protesters. His co-partner in governance, the no-nonsense former Premier Zhu Rongji, died last week, with the funeral scheduled on Tuesday.

The passing of the two leaders into China's history books marks a definitive end to the breakneck reforms that both represented during the 1990s and early 2000s, with an emphasis on private entrepreneurship and wealth creation. That stands in contrast to Xi, who has exerted greater central control and pressed a state-driven economic policy focused ‌on technological autonomy and ‌strategic industries.

In a 40-minute speech on Monday, Xi called on the Communist Party to ‌carry ⁠forward Jiang's legacy, ⁠presenting the current leadership as the continuation of his political and ideological project. That message was also carried in state media coverage in recent days.

Under Jiang and Zhu, China pushed through painful changes: shuttering chronically unprofitable state firms, dismantling the old housing system in favor of a commercial property market, weathering the Asian financial crisis of the late 1990s, and joining the World Trade Organization in 2001.

Xi now faces considerable challenges of his own as he seeks to weather trade frictions with the United States and Europe, tensions over Taiwan, slower economic growth and demographic decline.

"On the new journey ahead, we must heighten our sense of vigilance against potential dangers," Xi said during Monday's event.

"With ⁠an indomitable fighting spirit and superb skill in struggle," we must "proactively meet the major tests ‌posed by high winds and rushing waters, or even by raging storms," he added.

Events ‌involving President Xi like the one Monday are closely monitored by China watchers for clues to the political pecking order, and for indications of ‌the health and continued standing of the country's retired elite.

Former President Hu Jintao, Jiang's immediate successor, now 83, was not ‌immediately seen on state media footage of the event, which was attended by current and retired officials.

Hu's premier, Wen Jiabao, as well as former Vice President Wang Qishan, Xi's one-time anti-corruption chief, were seen at the event, suggesting that they remain in favor with the leadership. A number of officials once associated with Wang have come under corruption probes in recent years.

AN UNLIKELY FANDOM

Ahead of Monday's event, China's state broadcaster ‌aired a 12-part prime-time documentary series chronicling Jiang's life and achievements.

The program recounted how, in 1989, Jiang – who had himself been a student protester in the 1940s – forcibly shut down a ⁠reformist Shanghai newspaper after it ⁠called for greater freedom of speech and voiced support for the pro-democracy demonstrations that culminated in the bloody Tiananmen Square crackdown in Beijing.

Under his presidency, the internet arrived in China in the mid-1990s. Yet, a few years later, the so-called Great Firewall was erected to separate China’s internet from the rest of the world to prevent access to information and ideas deemed potentially destabilizing to Chinese society.

Still, some Chinese netizens remember Jiang fondly as a symbol of a more optimistic era when rapid economic growth translated into tangible improvements in everyday life.

On Chinese social media, where current and former leaders' names are routinely censored, Jiang has come to be known as "the Elder", spawning an internet subculture in apparent admiration of the Soviet-trained ex-automobile factory manager who was known for his love of singing and his propensity to recite Lincoln's Gettysburg Address from memory in English.

"There are only two kinds of people in the world," said one comment on Xiaohongshu, or RedNote, about the documentary on Saturday: "those who don't understand him and those who admire him."

Last week, China's central bank announced plans to issue a set of commemorative coins bearing Jiang's image later this month to mark the centenary, delighting the late leader's youthful online fan base.

"The commemorative coins are going to be really hard to get," one said on Weibo, China’s version of X.


Report: Nechirvan Barzani Secretly Mediated Between Washington and Iran’s Revolutionary Guards

Iraqi Kurdish leader Nechirvan Barzani and Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf at the funeral of former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in Tehran on July 3. (Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Iraqi Kurdish leader Nechirvan Barzani and Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf at the funeral of former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in Tehran on July 3. (Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
TT

Report: Nechirvan Barzani Secretly Mediated Between Washington and Iran’s Revolutionary Guards

Iraqi Kurdish leader Nechirvan Barzani and Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf at the funeral of former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in Tehran on July 3. (Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Iraqi Kurdish leader Nechirvan Barzani and Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf at the funeral of former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in Tehran on July 3. (Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

The administration of US President Donald Trump tapped Iraqi Kurdish leader Nechirvan Barzani as a secret backchannel to get in direct touch with Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) commanders after Washington doubted Iranian negotiators were empowered to reach a deal to end the war, Axios reported on Sunday.

Citing three sources with direct knowledge of the contacts, Axios said that in May, White House negotiators started to think that Iranian negotiators — Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi — were not empowered to cut a deal and were being overruled by the IRGC.

The doubts emerged when the White House felt it was closing in on a deal, but Iran delayed its response for more than 10 days.

The White House realized it needed a backchannel to IRGC leadership. Around May 10, then-Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard called Barzani.

According to two sources with direct knowledge of the call, Gabbard told Barzani that the administration thought he could help get in touch with the commander of the IRGC, General Ahmad Vahidi.

One of the sources said Gabbard made clear to Barzani that she was making the call with the approval of Trump and Vice President JD Vance.

Gabbard also told Barzani the White House wanted to know if Vahidi and the IRGC leadership were on board with what Ghalibaf and Araghchi had been negotiating or whether they had other ideas or demands, the source told Axios.

Washington contacted Barzani because during the Iran-Iraq, he lived in Iran and studied at the University of Tehran. He is fluent in Farsi and has personal relationships with many senior members of the Iranian regime, including top members of the IRGC, according to one of the sources.

“Nechirvan Barzani is a pragmatic problem solver. He's respected across the region. He knows nearly everyone in Tehran, as well as Washington. That's who you call in a pinch,” Brett McGurk, who has served as a Middle East adviser to four presidents, said in an interview.

Talks with Vahidi

Barzani agreed to Gabbard's request, Axios wrote. He reached out to his contacts at the IRGC and said he had a message from the Trump administration.

“But I want to talk directly to General Vahidi,” Barzani stressed, according to one of the sources.

The Iranians agreed. On May 14, an IRGC official arrived in Barzani's office in Erbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan, carrying an encrypted phone to conduct a secure call.

Barzani asked Vahidi if he was aligned with the Iranian negotiators. The Iranian general said he was. “I fully support them and this is also the position of the IRGC. We prefer to solve this crisis through negotiations,” Vahidi said, according to a source with direct knowledge.

Three sources, including a White House official, told Axios that Barzani called Gabbard right after his conversation with Vahidi and briefed her on the Iranian response. Gabbard then briefed the White House.

After receiving the Iranian response, the Trump administration came back with another proposal, according to one of the sources with knowledge of the backchannel talks. The US wanted Barzani to host secret talks between senior US and Iranian negotiators in Erbil.

Barzani spoke to the Iranians again and passed on the message. The Iranians didn't rule it out, but were concerned about their security, the source said.

They believed Israeli intelligence had many assets in Iraqi Kurdistan and were concerned the Israelis would try to assassinate them in Erbil or while they traveled there and back. The Erbil meeting never materialized.

The episode shows how tricky it's been for the US to negotiate with a country where Washington isn't sure who exactly is in charge. The US and Iran did reach a memorandum of understanding, but it quickly collapsed.

The Trump administration's key problem today and in any future negotiation will be to make sure it is talking to the people who are actually calling the shots. That also means finding mediators who are trusted by both the White House and the Iranian regime, said Axios.

It added that the Pakistani and Qatari mediators continue to exchange messages between the US and Iran but without any significant progress, regional sources with knowledge of the matter said.

Some of those sources believe the Pakistanis are giving more optimistic readouts than the talks justify in an effort to create a sense of momentum that could break the stalemate.

Barzani has recently sent messages to the White House offering to help restart US-Iran negotiations, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.

McGurk said the issue is not the mediator. “It's Iran's policy on the Hormuz Strait,” he said, “and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.”