Cairo Hopes UAE Can Play ‘Effective’ Role in GERD Crisis

A view of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD). (Reuters)
A view of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD). (Reuters)
TT

Cairo Hopes UAE Can Play ‘Effective’ Role in GERD Crisis

A view of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD). (Reuters)
A view of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD). (Reuters)

The United Arab Emirates is seeking to play an “effective” role to advance negotiations on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).

It is also aiming to resolve the 11-year conflict by relying on its political rapprochement with parties to the case, namely Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan.

An informed source said the UAE has recently presented itself as an indirect mediator, hoping to achieve a breakthrough by resuming the frozen negotiations and signing an agreement that safeguards the three countries’ interests.

The Gulf country’s permanent mission to the UN underscored on Wednesday the African Union’s essential role, welcomed the commitment of the three countries to the AU-led negotiations, and encouraged them to continue negotiating in “good faith.”

Last week, Cairo turned to the Security Council once again to protest what it called “unilateral measures” taken by Addis Ababa, the last of which was its third filling of the dam reservoir without reaching an agreement with Cairo and Khartoum.

The UAE statement did not mention Addis Ababa’s latest action, which raised questions.

Former Egyptian Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation Nasr Eldin Allam said the statement put Cairo and Khartoum on one side and Addis Ababa on another.

“The statement claims that the three countries want to reach an agreement in this regard despite knowing that Ethiopia has been obstructing efforts to reach a deal that comes in line with the international law.”

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that Abu Dhabi is not required to side by Egypt and Sudan, instead, its neutral position may prompt Addis Ababa to accept its proposals for a solution as an unbiased mediator.

It cited the United States’ failed mediation under then-President Donald Trump, whom Ethiopia accused of being biased to Egypt.

Cairo and Khartoum have repeatedly called for reaching a legally binding agreement to fill and operate the dam without harming their water interests.

They fear the potential negative impact of GERD on the flow of their annual share of the Nile’s 55.5 billion cubic meters of water, in addition to other environmental and economic consequences.

The UAE’s indirect mediation is based on the Declaration of Principles Agreement, which was signed by the three parties to the conflict in Khartoum in 2015, and which the mission considers “a basic reference for negotiations.”

The UAE supports the objectives of the parties to agree and resolve their differences to maximize the benefits to them and their peoples, the statement read.

The source stressed that the UAE needs greater Arab support from countries that have regional influence, such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar, as well as international support, to succeed in this regard.

The last round of talks between the three countries in Kinshasa ended in early April 2021 with no progress made.

Dr. Mohamed Mahmoud Mahran, a specialist in public international law, told Asharq Al-Awsat that Egypt’s demands are legitimate and legal.

“It only wants to end Ethiopia’s intransigence and resolve the dispute by signing a binding legal agreement on dates to fill and operate the dam according to international law.”

Mahran stressed that Cairo knew that the dam had serious technical defects and cracks based on a report by the International Committee that was established in 2013, yet it agreed to advance the process under a legally binding agreement.

However, he stressed that Ethiopia has not yet provided safety studies, warning that the dam may collapse and cause a disaster for Egypt and Sudan.

Mahran stressed that the water security of Egypt and the region are indivisible.

He urged Abu Dhabi to pressure Addis Ababa to resume negotiations and take into consideration the interests of the two downstream countries.



42,000 Iraqi Pilgrims Arrive in Makkah

Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
TT

42,000 Iraqi Pilgrims Arrive in Makkah

Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa

Sami al-Masoudi, head of Iraq’s High Commission for Hajj and Umrah, said 42,000 Iraqi pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia, praising the Kingdom’s efforts to ensure pilgrims’ comfort through a wide range of services and facilities aimed at helping worshippers perform their rituals with ease.

Al-Masoudi told Asharq Al-Awsat that the arrival of Iraqi pilgrims came amid early and well-organized preparations following directives from Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, which called for readiness across all sectors, including accommodation, catering, services at the holy sites, and internal and external transportation, to guarantee pilgrims’ comfort and the smooth performance of rituals.

One of the most notable features of this year’s Hajj season for Iraqi pilgrims is the adoption of sacrificial offerings services through the electronic platform after they became managed under the Saudi Project for Utilization of Hady and Adahi, a step al-Masoudi described as “qualitative.”

“It reflects the level of development and organization within the Hajj system,” he said.

“Today, all contracts, including sacrificial offerings, are completed electronically, which has helped simplify procedures, reduce bureaucracy and improve the level of services provided to pilgrims,” he added.

The Saudi Project for Utilization of Hady and Adahi is one of the initiatives of the Royal Commission for Makkah City and Holy Sites.

The project aims to facilitate the performance of Hady and expiation rituals for pilgrims and enable Muslims worldwide to carry out sacrifices, charity donations and aqiqah on their behalf, while distributing the meat to eligible beneficiaries inside and outside the Kingdom.

Al-Masoudi also highlighted the major transformation and development projects supported by artificial intelligence technologies that Saudi Arabia has deployed to serve pilgrims.

“Year after year, we witness continuous progress and major efforts by the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah and supporting agencies in the Kingdom, especially in automation and digital transformation, which directly improve pilgrims’ comfort and the quality of services provided to them,” he said.

Saudi Arabia has consistently worked to improve services for pilgrims arriving from around the world through projects that are upgraded and expanded annually, reflecting the leadership’s commitment to serving pilgrims and Umrah performers, enhancing service quality and enriching their religious experience in line with the goals of Saudi Vision 2030.

The first groups of Iraqi pilgrims began arriving in the Kingdom through the al-Haditha border crossing in al-Qurayyat and the Jadidat Arar crossing, where entry procedures were completed smoothly within minutes under an integrated service system designed to ease the burden of long-distance travel and provide a more comfortable and reassuring experience for pilgrims traveling by land to Makkah.

Expressions of gratitude were evident among Iraqi pilgrims, many of whom described the reception as “beyond expectations,” saying the welcome they received upon entering the Kingdom gave them a sense of comfort and reassurance even before reaching the holy sites.


Saudi Interior Minister Reviews Readiness of Hajj Security Forces for Hajj Season

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Interior Minister Reviews Readiness of Hajj Security Forces for Hajj Season

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces to implement approved field and organizational plans for the 1447 AH Hajj season during the annual ceremony held by participating Hajj security forces in Makkah, the Saudi Press Agency said.

Director of Public Security and Chairman of the Hajj Security Committee Mohammed Al-Bassami said in a speech delivered on the occasion that the Saudi leadership has mobilized all resources and capabilities to serve pilgrims, making the Kingdom a leading global model in crowd management and in achieving the highest levels of organization and smooth movement. These efforts enable pilgrims to perform rituals in safety and tranquility.

He explained that the Hajj Security Forces have commenced implementing this season’s duties through integrated security and preventive plans built on lessons learned from previous years and designed to anticipate various scenarios and contingencies.

The plans aim to ensure the safety and security of pilgrims in Makkah, the holy sites, Madinah, and along all routes used by pilgrims.

Al-Bassami also stressed that authorities will firmly confront any attempt to politicize Hajj, disrupt pilgrims’ security, or disturb the performance of rituals. He underscored the full readiness of Hajj Security Forces to carry out approved plans.

The ceremony included several security and field simulations demonstrating the readiness and operational capabilities of participating forces. It also featured displays of security vehicles, modern technologies used during Hajj, and support from Security Aviation and field support vehicles.

The ceremony was attended by members of the Supreme Hajj Committee, security and military commanders, and several senior officials.

 


Saudi Arabia Condemns Explosion near Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus

Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Explosion near Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus

Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Saudi Arabia condemned on Thursday the explosion that occurred near a building belonging to the Syrian Ministry of Defense in Damascus, which resulted in the death of a soldier and injuries to several civilians, the Saudi Press Agency said.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that Saudi Arabia reiterates its firm stance against all forms of violence and expresses its condolences and solidarity with Syria, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.