China, India Call for Negotiated Way Out of Ukraine War

16 September 2022, Uzbekistan, Samarkand: Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) shakes hands with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during their meeting on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit. (Kremlin/dpa)
16 September 2022, Uzbekistan, Samarkand: Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) shakes hands with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during their meeting on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit. (Kremlin/dpa)
TT

China, India Call for Negotiated Way Out of Ukraine War

16 September 2022, Uzbekistan, Samarkand: Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) shakes hands with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during their meeting on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit. (Kremlin/dpa)
16 September 2022, Uzbekistan, Samarkand: Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) shakes hands with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during their meeting on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit. (Kremlin/dpa)

China and India on Saturday called at the United Nations for a negotiated end to the Ukraine war, stopping short of robust support for traditional ally Russia.

After a week of pressure at the United Nations General Assembly, Russia's foreign minister took the General Assembly rostrum to deliver a fiery rebuke to Western nations for what he termed a "grotesque" campaign against Russians.

But no major nation has rallied behind Russia, including China, which just days before the February invasion of Ukraine had vowed an "unbreakable" bond with President Vladimir Putin, AFP said.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi called on both Russia and Ukraine to "keep the crisis from spilling over" and from affecting developing countries.

"China supports all efforts conducive to the peaceful resolution of the Ukraine crisis. The pressing priority is to facilitate talks for peace," Wang said.

"The fundamental solution is to address the legitimate security concerns of all parties and build a balanced, effective and sustainable security architecture."

During his visit to the United Nations, Wang met with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, in their first talks since the war began.

Earlier this month Putin acknowledged Chinese "concerns" about Ukraine during a meeting with his counterpart Xi Jinping.

- Limiting material support -
US officials have been heartened by what they see as China's lack of concrete backing for the war and say that Beijing has declined requests to send military equipment, forcing Russia to rely on North Korea and Iran as its own supplies dwindle.

China's reaction to Russia is being closely watched for clues on its approach to Taiwan, a self-governing democracy that Beijing claims as its territory.

Wang held firm that China would take "forceful steps" against any interference, insisting that efforts to prevent "reunification" with Taiwan would be "crushed by the wheels of history."

India, unlike China, has a warm relationship with the United States but it has historic ties with Russia, its traditional defense supplier.

"As the Ukraine conflict continues to rage, we are often asked whose side we are on," said India's foreign minister, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar.

"Our answer, each time, is straight and honest -- India is on the side of peace and will remain firmly there," he said.

"We are on the side that calls for dialogue and diplomacy as the only way out."

- Russia on offensive -
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov at a news conference declined to answer whether there has been any pressure from China. In his speech, he sought to cast blame squarely on the West.

"The official Russophobia in the West is unprecedented. Now the scope is grotesque," Lavrov told the General Assembly.

"They are not shying away from declaring the intent to inflict not only military defeat on our country but also to destroy and fracture Russia."

The United States, he said, since the end of the Cold War has acted as if it is "an envoy of God on Earth, with the sacred right to act with impunity wherever and whenever they want," Lavrov said.

He also blasted the European Union as an "authoritarian, harsh, dictatorial entity" and said the bloc's leadership forced one member state's leader -- Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades -- to cancel a planned meeting with him.

Lavrov criticized the West for not engaging with Russia, saying, "we have never stepped away from maintaining contact."

Western powers are looking at further sanctions after Putin called up reservists and made a veiled threat to use nuclear weapons, and have vowed not to recognize results of referendums on Russian annexation being held in occupied territories.

They have welcomed Lavrov's isolation, noting how he only showed up at a Security Council session on Thursday to deliver remarks and not to listen to others.

Russia enjoyed one rare voice of support Saturday at the General Assembly. Mali's interim Prime Minister Colonel Abdoulaye Maiga, appointed by coup leaders, hailed the "exemplary and fruitful cooperation" with Moscow.

The junta has welcomed Russia's Wagner Group security firm, despite Western allegations of rights abuses, as France pulled out troops who had been struggling to contain a jihadist insurgency.



Pakistan Seeks Breakthrough in US-Iran Peace Talks

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
TT

Pakistan Seeks Breakthrough in US-Iran Peace Talks

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

Iran's foreign minister met his Pakistani counterpart on Friday to discuss proposals to end the US-Israeli war, Iranian media reported, with Tehran and Washington still at odds over Tehran's uranium stockpile and controls on the Strait of Hormuz.

Two days after presenting the Iranians with the latest US message in the negotiations, Pakistani Interior Minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi held another round of talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi in Tehran, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Thursday there had been "some good signs" in the talks, but there could be no solution if Tehran enforced a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, which it effectively closed to most shipping after the war began on February 28.

"There's some good signs," Rubio said. "I don't want to be overly optimistic ... So, let's see what happens over the next few days."

A senior Iranian source told Reuters on Thursday that gaps had been narrowed, although uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz remained among the sticking points.

The war has wreaked havoc on ⁠the global economy, ⁠with the surge in oil prices stoking fears of rampant inflation. About a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas shipments travelled through the Strait of Hormuz before the war.

The US dollar was near its highest level in six weeks on Friday amid the uncertainty over the peace talks, while oil prices climbed as investors doubted the prospects of a breakthrough.

"We're coming to the end of week 12, we're six weeks in the ceasefire, and I'm just not really that convinced we're any closer to a resolution between the US and Iran," Tony Sycamore, a market analyst at IG, said of the Middle East war.

US ⁠President Donald Trump said the US would eventually recover Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium - which Washington believes is destined for a nuclear weapon though Tehran says it is intended purely for peaceful purposes.

"We will get it. We don't need it, we don't want it. We'll probably destroy it after we get it, but we're not going to let them have it," Trump told reporters at the White House on Thursday.

Two senior Iranian sources told Reuters before Trump's comments that Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei had issued a directive that the uranium should not be sent abroad.

The US president also railed against Tehran's intentions to charge fees on ships using the strait.

"We want it open, we want it free. We don't want tolls," Trump said. "It's an international waterway."

Trump faces domestic pressure ahead of November midterm elections, with Americans angry over the surge in fuel prices and his approval rating near its lowest level since he returned to the White House last year. Tehran submitted its latest offer to ⁠the US earlier this ⁠week.

Tehran's descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops.

Traffic through the strait has fallen to a trickle compared with 125 to 140 daily passages before the war. Iran has said it aims to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms that could potentially include fees.

"It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it's a threat to the world if they were trying to do that, and it's completely illegal," Rubio said.


NATO's Rutte Welcomes Trump Sending Troops to Poland

FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
TT

NATO's Rutte Welcomes Trump Sending Troops to Poland

FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa

NATO's chief Mark Rutte said on Friday he welcomed US President Donald Trump's announcement to send 5,000 troops to Poland, through ‌he added the ‌trend is ‌still ⁠towards a stronger ⁠Europe less reliant on the United States for its defense.

"Let's be clear: ⁠the trajectory we ‌are ‌on - which is ‌a stronger Europe and ‌a stronger NATO, making sure we will over time, step ‌by step, be less reliant ⁠on ⁠one ally only ... will continue", Rutte told reporters ahead of a NATO meeting in Sweden's Helsingborg.


US Navy Official Says Taiwan Arms Sales on 'Pause' over Iran War

Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard
Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard
TT

US Navy Official Says Taiwan Arms Sales on 'Pause' over Iran War

Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard
Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard

The acting US Navy secretary said Thursday that arms sales to Taiwan had been put on "pause" to ensure that the American military had sufficient munitions for its Iran operations.

Asked at a congressional hearing about the stalled $14 billion weapons purchase by Taiwan, acting secretary Hung Cao said that "right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury -- which we have plenty."

"But, we're just making sure we have everything, then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary."

The US State Department and the Pentagon did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Cao's remarks, said AFP.

Taiwan's Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo said Friday there was "no information indicating that the US intends to make any adjustments to this arms sale."

US President Donald Trump has not committed to following through with the sale, raising concerns over his commitment to support for Taiwan, which China claims as its own territory.

Ahead of his recent state visit to China, Trump said he would speak with Chinese President Xi Jinping about the arms sales, a departure from Washington's previous insistence that it will not consult Beijing on the matter.

Afterward, he said he had made no commitments to Xi about Taiwan and would be making a determination on the arms sales "over the next fairly short period of time."

The United States recognizes only Beijing, but under US law is required to provide weapons to the self-ruled democracy for its defense.

China has sworn to take the island and has not ruled out using force, ramping up military pressure in recent years.