Why TikTok's Security Risks Keep Raising Fears

The TikTok app logo is seen in this illustration taken, August 22, 2022. (Reuters)
The TikTok app logo is seen in this illustration taken, August 22, 2022. (Reuters)
TT

Why TikTok's Security Risks Keep Raising Fears

The TikTok app logo is seen in this illustration taken, August 22, 2022. (Reuters)
The TikTok app logo is seen in this illustration taken, August 22, 2022. (Reuters)

TikTok is once again fending off claims that its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, would share user data from its popular video-sharing app with the Chinese government, or push propaganda and misinformation on its behalf.

China’s Foreign Ministry on Wednesday accused the United States itself of spreading disinformation about TikTok's potential security risks following a report in the Wall Street Journal that the Committee on Foreign Investment in the US — part of the Treasury Department — was threatening a US ban on the app unless its Chinese owners divest their stake, The Associated Press said.

So are the data security risks real? And should users be worried that the TikTok app will be wiped off their phones?

Here’s what to know:

WHAT ARE THE CONCERNS ABOUT TIKTOK?

Both the FBI and the Federal Communications Commission have warned that ByteDance could share TikTok user data — such as browsing history, location and biometric identifiers — with China’s authoritarian government.

A law implemented by China in 2017 requires companies to give the government any personal data relevant to the country’s national security. There’s no evidence that TikTok has turned over such data, but fears abound due to the vast amount of user data it, like other social media companies, collects.

Concerns around TikTok were heightened in December when ByteDance said it fired four employees who accessed data on two journalists from Buzzfeed News and The Financial Times while attempting to track down the source of a leaked report about the company.

HOW IS THE US RESPONDING?

White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby declined to comment when asked Thursday to address the Chinese foreign ministry's comments about TikTok, citing the review being conducted by the Committee on Foreign Investment.

Kirby also could not confirm that the administration sent TikTok a letter warning that the US government may ban the application if its Chinese owners don’t sell its stake but added, “we have legitimate national security concerns with respect to data integrity that we need to observe.”

In 2020, then-President Donald Trump and his administration sought to force ByteDance to sell off its US assets and ban TikTok from app stores. Courts blocked the effort, and President Joe Biden rescinded Trump’s orders but ordered an in-depth study of the issue. A planned sale of TikTok’s US assets was also shelved as the Biden administration negotiated a deal with TikTok that would address some of the national security concerns.

In Congress, US Sens. Richard Blumenthal and Jerry Moran, a Democrat and a Republican, wrote a letter in February to Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen urging the Committee on Foreign Investment panel, which she chairs, to “swiftly conclude its investigation and impose strict structural restrictions” between TikTok's American operations and ByteDance, including potentially separating the companies.

At the same time, lawmakers have introduced measures that would expand the Biden administration's authority to enact a national ban on TikTok. The White House has already backed a Senate proposal that has bipartisan support.

HOW HAS TIKTOK ALREADY BEEN RESTRICTED?

On Thursday, British authorities said they are banning TikTok on government-issued phones on security grounds, following similar moves by the European Union’s executive branch, which temporarily banned TikTok from employee phones. Denmark and Canada have also announced efforts to block it on government-issued phones.

Last month, the White House said it would give US federal agencies 30 days to delete TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices. Congress, the US armed forces and more than half of US states had already banned the app.

WHAT DOES TIKTOK SAY?

TikTok spokesperson Maureen Shanahan said the company was already answering security concerns through “transparent, US-based protection of US user data and systems, with robust third-party monitoring, vetting, and verification.”

In June, TikTok said it would route all data from US users to servers controlled by Oracle, the Silicon Valley company it chose as its US tech partner in 2020 in an effort to avoid a nationwide ban. But it is storing backups of the data in its own servers in the US and Singapore. The company said it expects to delete US user data from its own servers, but it has not provided a timeline as to when that would occur.

TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew is set to testify next week before the House Energy and Commerce Committee about the company’s privacy and data-security practices, as well as its relationship with the Chinese government.

Meanwhile, TikTok’s parent company ByteDance has been trying to position itself as more of an international company -- and less of a Chinese company that was founded in Beijing in 2012 by its current chief executive Liang Rubo and others.

Theo Bertram, TikTok’s vice president of policy in Europe, said in a Tweet Thursday that ByteDance “is not a Chinese company.” Bertram said its ownership consists of 60% by global investors, 20% employees and 20% founders. Its leaders are based in cities like Singapore, New York, Beijing and other metropolitan areas.

ARE THE SECURITY RISKS LEGITIMATE?

It depends on who you ask.

Some tech privacy advocates say while the potential abuse of privacy by the Chinese government is concerning, other tech companies have data-harvesting business practices that also exploit user information.

“If policy makers want to protect Americans from surveillance, they should advocate for a basic privacy law that bans all companies from collecting so much sensitive data about us in the first place, rather than engaging in what amounts to xenophobic showboating that does exactly nothing to protect anyone,” said Evan Greer, director of the nonprofit advocacy group Fight for the Future.

Karim Farhat, a researcher with the Internet Governance Project at Georgia Tech, said a TikTok sale would be “completely irrelevant to any of the alleged ‘national security’ threats” and go against “every free market principle and norm” of the state department’s internet freedom principles.

Others say there is legitimate reason for concern.

People who use TikTok might think they’re not doing anything that would be of interest to a foreign government, but that’s not always the case, said Anton Dahbura, executive director of the Johns Hopkins University Information Security Institute. Important information about the United States is not strictly limited to nuclear power plants or military facilities; it extends to other sectors, such as food processing, the finance industry and universities, Dahbura said.

IS THERE PRECEDENCE FOR BANNING TECH COMPANIES?

Last year, the US banned the sale of communications equipment made by Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, citing risks to national security. But banning the sale of items could be more easily done than banning an app, which is accessed through the web.

Such a move might also go to the courts on grounds that it might violate the First Amendment as some civil liberties groups have argued.



Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Retires as Microsoft Shakes Up Gaming Unit

During 12 years leading Xbox, Phil Spencer oversaw blockbuster studio buys and an evolution to video games being played just about anywhere players can get online. KEVORK DJANSEZIAN / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
During 12 years leading Xbox, Phil Spencer oversaw blockbuster studio buys and an evolution to video games being played just about anywhere players can get online. KEVORK DJANSEZIAN / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Retires as Microsoft Shakes Up Gaming Unit

During 12 years leading Xbox, Phil Spencer oversaw blockbuster studio buys and an evolution to video games being played just about anywhere players can get online. KEVORK DJANSEZIAN / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
During 12 years leading Xbox, Phil Spencer oversaw blockbuster studio buys and an evolution to video games being played just about anywhere players can get online. KEVORK DJANSEZIAN / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

Microsoft on Friday put out word that Xbox stalwart Phil Spencer is retiring, in a shakeup of leadership at the tech titan's video game unit.

Former Instacart chief operating officer Asha Sharma will take over as head of Microsoft Gaming, with Matt Booty becoming executive vice president and chief content officer, said AFP.

"As we celebrate Xbox's 25th year, the opportunity and innovation agenda in front of us is expansive," Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella said in a message to employees.

"I am long on gaming and its role at the center of our consumer ambition."

Changes to the gaming team include Sarah Bond leaving her job as Xbox president "to begin a new chapter" away from Microsoft, according to the company.

The shakeup comes as cloud computing and artificial intelligence have become priorities at Microsoft, driving revenue growth but also massive spending on infrastructure to power the technology.

"When I walked through Microsoft's doors as an intern in June of 1988, I could never have imagined the products I'd help build, the players and customers we'd serve or the extraordinary teams I'd be lucky enough to join," Spencer said in a message to colleagues.

"It's been an epic ride and truly the privilege of a lifetime."

Spencer headed the Xbox unit for 12 of his 38 years at Microsoft, nearly tripling the size of the business as video games evolved from packaged software for consoles to subscription services and digital downloads on an array of devices.

Spencer also guided the Xbox team through acquisitions of Activision Blizzard, ZeniMax, and Minecraft.

Xbox boasts more than 500 million monthly users and a vast stable of game studios, along with a subscription gaming service.

"We are witnessing the reinvention of play," Sharma said in a blog post announcing the leadership changes.

"To meet the moment, we will invent new business models and new ways to play by leaning into what we already have: iconic teams, characters and worlds that people love."


Indian PM, President of Saudi Arabia’s SDAIA Discuss AI Cooperation 

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) President Dr. Abdullah Al-Ghamdi meet on the sidelines of the India AI Impact Summit 2026. (SPA)
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) President Dr. Abdullah Al-Ghamdi meet on the sidelines of the India AI Impact Summit 2026. (SPA)
TT

Indian PM, President of Saudi Arabia’s SDAIA Discuss AI Cooperation 

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) President Dr. Abdullah Al-Ghamdi meet on the sidelines of the India AI Impact Summit 2026. (SPA)
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) President Dr. Abdullah Al-Ghamdi meet on the sidelines of the India AI Impact Summit 2026. (SPA)

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks with President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) President Dr. Abdullah Al-Ghamdi on the sidelines of the India AI Impact Summit 2026, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Friday.

Discussions focused on knowledge transfer and the exchange of expertise to accelerate digital development in both nations. They also tackled expanding bilateral cooperation in data and AI.

Al-Ghamdi commended India’s leadership in hosting the summit, noting that such international partnerships are essential for harnessing advanced technology to benefit humanity and achieve shared strategic goals.


India Chases 'DeepSeek Moment' with Homegrown AI

A handout photo made available by the Press Information Bureau (PIB) of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaking with global leaders at the AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, India, 19 February 2026.EPA/PRESS INFORMATION BUREAU HANDOUT HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by the Press Information Bureau (PIB) of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaking with global leaders at the AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, India, 19 February 2026.EPA/PRESS INFORMATION BUREAU HANDOUT HANDOUT
TT

India Chases 'DeepSeek Moment' with Homegrown AI

A handout photo made available by the Press Information Bureau (PIB) of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaking with global leaders at the AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, India, 19 February 2026.EPA/PRESS INFORMATION BUREAU HANDOUT HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by the Press Information Bureau (PIB) of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaking with global leaders at the AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, India, 19 February 2026.EPA/PRESS INFORMATION BUREAU HANDOUT HANDOUT

Fledgling Indian artificial intelligence companies showcased homegrown technologies this week at a major summit in New Delhi, underpinning big dreams of becoming a global AI power.

But analysts said the country was unlikely to have a "DeepSeek moment" -- the sort of boom China had last year with a high-performance, low-cost chatbot -- any time soon, AFP reported.

Still, building custom AI tools could bring benefits to the world's most populous nation.
At the AI Impact Summit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi lauded new Indian AI models, along with other examples of the country's rising profile in the field.

"All the solutions that have been presented here demonstrate the power of 'Made in India' and India's innovative qualities," Modi said Thursday.

One of the startups making a buzz at the five-day summit was Sarvam AI, which this week released two large language models it says were trained from scratch in India.

Its models are optimized to work across 22 Indian languages, says the company, which received government-subsidized access to advanced computer processors.

The five-day summit, which wraps up Friday, is the fourth annual international meeting to discuss the risks and rewards of the fast-growing AI sector.

It is the largest yet and the first in a developing country, with Indian businesses striking deals with US tech giants to build large-scale data center infrastructure to help train and run AI systems.

On Friday, Abu Dhabi-based tech group G42 said the United Arab Emirates would deploy an AI supercomputer system in India, in a project "designed to lower barriers to AI innovation".

So-called sovereign AI has become a priority for many countries hoping to reduce dependence on US and Chinese platforms while ensuring that systems respect local regulations, including on data privacy.

AI models that succeed in India "can be deployed all over the world", Modi said on Thursday.

But experts said the sheer computational might of the United States would be hard to match.

"Despite the headline pledges, we don't expect India to emerge as a frontier AI innovation hub in the near term," said Reema Bhattacharya, head of Asia research at risk intelligence company Verisk Maplecroft.

"Its more realistic trajectory is to become the world's largest AI adoption market, embedding AI at scale through digital public infrastructure and cost-efficient applications," she said.

Another Indian company that drew attention with product debuts this week was the Bengaluru-based Gnani.ai, which introduced its Vachana speech models at the summit.

Trained on more than a million hours of audio, Vachana models generate natural-sounding voices in Indian languages that can process customer interactions and allow people to interact with digital services out loud.

Job disruption and redundancies, including in India's huge call center industry, have been one key focus of discussions at the Delhi summit.

Prihesh Ratnayake, head of AI initiatives at think-tank Factum, told AFP that the new Indian AI models were "not really meant to be global".

"They're India-specific models, and hopefully we'll see their impact over the coming year," he said.

"Why does India need to build for the global scale? India itself is the biggest market."
And Nanubala Gnana Sai at the Cambridge AI Safety Hub said that homegrown models could bring other benefits.

Existing models, even those developed in China, "have intrinsic bias towards Western values, culture and ethos -- as a product of being trained heavily on that consensus", Sai told AFP.

India already has some major strengths, including "technology diffusion, eager talent pool and cheap labor", and dedicated efforts can help startups pivot to artificial intelligence, he said.

"The end-product may not 'rival' ChatGPT or DeepSeek on benchmarks, but will provide leverage for the Global South to have its own stand in an increasingly polarized world."