Messi Scores Sensational Game-winning Goal on Free Kick in Inter Miami Debut

Jul 21, 2023; Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA; Inter Miami CF forward Lionel Messi (10) moves the ball against Cruz Azul during the second half at DRV PNK Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-USA TODAY Sports
Jul 21, 2023; Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA; Inter Miami CF forward Lionel Messi (10) moves the ball against Cruz Azul during the second half at DRV PNK Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-USA TODAY Sports
TT

Messi Scores Sensational Game-winning Goal on Free Kick in Inter Miami Debut

Jul 21, 2023; Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA; Inter Miami CF forward Lionel Messi (10) moves the ball against Cruz Azul during the second half at DRV PNK Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-USA TODAY Sports
Jul 21, 2023; Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA; Inter Miami CF forward Lionel Messi (10) moves the ball against Cruz Azul during the second half at DRV PNK Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-USA TODAY Sports

Some people paid hundreds of dollars to be able to say they were in the stadium for Lionel Messi’s debut for Inter Miami. Some paid thousands for their seats. The team’s owners committed well over $100 million just to have a chance at moments like this.
So far, it looks like money well spent.
From the you-can’t-make-this-up department, Messi capped the opening night with his new club by delivering the unforgettable. His magical left foot sent a free kick into the upper left corner of the net in the 94th minute Friday night, giving Inter Miami a 2-1 win over Mexican club Cruz Azul in a Legends Cup match.
“What I saw was the goal,” Messi said in an on-field interview amid the postgame celebration. “I saw the goal. I knew that I had to score.”
He makes it sound so easy. Made it look so easy, too.
The game's greatest active player — a seven-time Ballon d'Or winner and a World Cup champion — sent the ball over a wall of four Cruz Azul defenders for the winning goal, unquestionably the greatest moment in Inter Miami's brief history. Fireworks shot into the night sky, and play resumed for roughly a minute before the referee's whistle blew.
“It's a movie that we have seen before,” Inter Miami coach Tata Martino said.
Messi was a showman throughout his debut for his Major League Soccer club. He waved at fans while he was seated on the bench. Waved at them while he was warming up. Waved at them while he was actually in the game.
And if that wasn't enough, he saved his best moment for the end. He watched the ball sail into the net, something he's done about 800 times before for club and country, then sprinted to the right corner of the field and leaped into the arms of teammates.
The team's owners — David Beckham, Jorge Mas and Jose Mas — were waiting as he left the pitch; Jorge Mas planted a kiss onto the superstar's sweat-coated cheek, The Associated Press reported. Some Cruz Azul players stood in silence and just watched; they'll have a story to tell, too, about how it took an incredible Messi moment to defeat them.
It took Inter Miami four years of planning and two years of actual pursuing to bring Messi to the club.
“Worth it,” Beckham said earlier in the week.
How right he was.
“It's such a moment for this country,” Beckham said. “It's such a moment for the league. And it's a very proud moment for us.”



Saudi Arabia Named First-Ever Recipient of Formula E’s New ‘Best Host Country’ Award

The award was presented for the first time in the championship’s history at the 2025/26 Formula E End of Season Awards ceremony. (SPA)
The award was presented for the first time in the championship’s history at the 2025/26 Formula E End of Season Awards ceremony. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Named First-Ever Recipient of Formula E’s New ‘Best Host Country’ Award

The award was presented for the first time in the championship’s history at the 2025/26 Formula E End of Season Awards ceremony. (SPA)
The award was presented for the first time in the championship’s history at the 2025/26 Formula E End of Season Awards ceremony. (SPA)

Formula E has awarded Saudi Arabia its newly introduced “Best Host Country” award in recognition of the Kingdom’s outstanding organization of one of the world’s leading electric car racing championships.

The award was presented for the first time in the championship’s history at the 2025/26 Formula E End of Season Awards ceremony, held in London on Sunday. It recognizes the destination that sets a global benchmark in event organization, infrastructure development, and partnership building.

Saudi Arabia’s receipt of the award reflects its excellence in hosting the FIA-sanctioned ABB Formula E World Championship races. (SPA)

Saudi Arabia’s receipt of the award reflects its excellence in hosting the FIA-sanctioned ABB Formula E World Championship races and the high standards it has established since first hosting the championship in 2018.

The achievement reflects the unwavering support for the sports sector from the Saudi leadership, led by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister.

It also highlights the support of Minister of Sport and President of the Saudi Olympic and Paralympic Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki bin Faisal. The sustained efforts of the Ministry of Sport, the Saudi Automobile and Motorcycle Federation, Saudi Motorsport Company, and Sela also contributed to this success.


‘This Is Probably My Last Year in Football,’ Says Cristiano Ronaldo

Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)
Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)
TT

‘This Is Probably My Last Year in Football,’ Says Cristiano Ronaldo

Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)
Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)

Cristiano Ronaldo says this Saudi Pro League season is likely to be the last of his professional career.

The 41-year-old superstar’s contract with Riyadh club Al-Nassr, signed in December 2022, expires next June, and he has told Vogue magazine that another is unlikely.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

The Portugal forward, who has scored 976 career goals, married long-time partner, Georgina Rodriguez, earlier this month.

“I have my future all mapped out,” he said. “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.

“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”

The 2026-27 SPL season is Ronaldo’s 25th as a professional. During his career, he has won five Ballon d’Or awards and five UEFA Champions League titles.

Ronaldo’s 28 league goals last season helped Al-Nassr become champion of Saudi Arabia in May to secure his first trophy since arriving in Riyadh, and a first league title for the club since 2019.

After returning from his wedding, he missed Al-Nassr’s first game of its title defense on Saturday, watching from the sidelines as it opened with a 3-0 win over Al-Fateh.

“Cristiano is here today, and he is always present with us,” Al-Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou said after the game.

Ronaldo could play against Al-Diriyah in the King’s Cup on Tuesday.

“The most important thing now is recovery, especially as we have only two days after this match,” former Tottenham Hotspur and Nottingham Forest coach Postecoglou said.

Ronaldo’s comments came days after long-time rival Lionel Messi revealed that, following his father’s death, he may soon retire.

“I don’t know how to carry on,” Messi, 39, said. “I used to just play football, and now I’m really not sure if I’ll carry on doing it for much longer.”


Colombia Defender Jhon Lucumí Moves to Juventus After Impressing at World Cup

Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)
Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)
TT

Colombia Defender Jhon Lucumí Moves to Juventus After Impressing at World Cup

Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)
Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)

Colombia defender Jhon Lucumí signed for Juventus on Monday for 19.5 million euros ($22.6 million) after impressing at the World Cup.

Juventus said the 28-year-old center-back had signed a four-year contract and the fee paid to Serie A rival Bologna could rise above 22 million euros ($25.5 million) with performance bonuses.

Lucumí played almost every minute of Colombia’s five games at the World Cup, where the team conceded just one goal, in an opening 3-1 win over Uzbekistan.

Colombia lost in the round of 16 to Switzerland in a penalty shootout, after a 0-0 draw where Lucumí’s header struck the bar in extra time. He was substituted ahead of the shootout.

Lucumí played four years at Bologna, including in the Champions League two seasons ago, having first arrived in Europe to join Genk in Belgium.

Juventus plays in the Europa League this season after a sixth-place finish in Serie A.