UN Says Turkish Cypriot Forces Assault Cyprus Peacekeepers

A Greek Cypriot protestor waves a banner, during a peace protest in divided capital Nicosia, Cyprus, Saturday, April 24, 2021. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)
A Greek Cypriot protestor waves a banner, during a peace protest in divided capital Nicosia, Cyprus, Saturday, April 24, 2021. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)
TT

UN Says Turkish Cypriot Forces Assault Cyprus Peacekeepers

A Greek Cypriot protestor waves a banner, during a peace protest in divided capital Nicosia, Cyprus, Saturday, April 24, 2021. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)
A Greek Cypriot protestor waves a banner, during a peace protest in divided capital Nicosia, Cyprus, Saturday, April 24, 2021. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)

Turkish Cypriot forces assaulted UN peacekeepers Friday as they attempted to block the construction of a controversial road in the buffer zone dividing Cyprus, the UN mission on the island said.

The incident occurred in Pyla, a village in the UN-patrolled Green Line that slices between the internationally recognized Republic of Cyprus and a breakaway Turkish Cypriot statelet in the north.

The United Nations mission had on Thursday warned the Turkish Cypriot authorities against "unauthorized construction activities inside the UN buffer zone".

But it said its peacekeepers had come under attack on Friday as they tried to block the construction of the road that encroaches on the buffer zone, AFP reported.

"The United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus condemns the assaults against UN peacekeepers and damage to UN vehicles by personnel from the Turkish Cypriot side this morning," UNFICYP said in a statement.

It said the incident occurred inside the buffer zone near Pyla, outside the southern coastal town of Larnaca.

"Threats to the safety of UN peacekeepers and damage to UN property are unacceptable and constitute a serious crime under international law which will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law," the UN mission said.

An official said Turkish Cypriot police and military in plain clothes had punched a peacekeeper and assaulted a dozen others by "pushing them back violently".

A tractor was used to drag a UN vehicle out of the way and major damage had been caused to three vehicles, said the source who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity.

In its statement, the UN mission urged the Turkish Cypriot side to "respect the mission's mandated authority inside the UN buffer zone, refrain from any actions that could escalate tensions further, and withdraw all personnel and machinery from the UN buffer zone immediately".

UNFICYP said it was determined to block any construction work and would remain in the area.

"The mission is monitoring the situation closely and remains committed to ensuring calm and stability are maintained in the area," it said.

Cyprus government spokesman Konstantinos Letymbiotis accused the Turkish side of trying to create new "faits accomplis" at Pyla by constructing a road connecting the "occupied village of Arsos with a forward illegal military outpost".

He said it was "an attempt at a very serious violation of the status quo".

European Union member Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkish forces occupied the island's northern third in response to a military coup sponsored by the junta then in power in Greece.

The statehood of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus that Turkish Cypriot leaders proclaimed in 1983 is recognized only by Türkiye.

Efforts to reunify the eastern Mediterranean island have been at a standstill since the last round of UN-backed talks collapsed in 2017.



WHO Says Ebola Risk High Regionally, Low Worldwide

A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

WHO Says Ebola Risk High Regionally, Low Worldwide

A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The World Health Organization on Wednesday said the risk of the Democratic Republic of Congo's deadly Ebola outbreak was currently high at the national and regional levels but low worldwide.

WHO experts said that while investigations into its origins were ongoing, given the scale of the situation in the eastern DRC, the outbreak probably began a couple of months ago.

But the UN health agency's emergency committee said it did not currently meet the pandemic emergency threshold.

"WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels, and low at the global level," said the organization's chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, in the eastern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, "although we know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger", he told a press conference at the WHO's headquarters in Geneva.

He said Uganda had also reported two confirmed cases in the capital Kampala, including one death, while a US national working in the DRC has been confirmed positive and transferred to Germany.

"There are several factors that warrant serious concern about the potential for further spread and further deaths," said Tedros.

"Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths.

"We expect those numbers to keep increasing, given the amount of time the virus was circulating before the outbreak was detected."

- Not a pandemic -

On Sunday, Tedros declared the situation to be a public health emergency of international concern -- the second-highest level of alarm under the legally binding International Health Regulations (IHR) -- triggering emergency responses in countries worldwide.

The WHO emergency committee convened to assess the outbreak met on Tuesday.

"The current situation and criteria for a public health emergency of international concern have been met, and we agree that the current situation does not satisfy the criteria for a pandemic emergency," the committee's chair, Lucille Blumberg, told reporters from South Africa.

Anais Legand, WHO technical officer on viral hemorrhagic fevers, said investigations were under way to pinpoint how long Ebola has been spreading in the eastern DRC.

"Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago, but investigations are ongoing and our priority is really to cut the transmission chain by implementing contact tracing, isolating and caring for all suspect and confirmed cases," she said.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Tuesday said the WHO was "a little late" in identifying a deadly outbreak.

President Donald Trump, in one of his first acts on returning to office last year, set in motion a US withdrawal from the WHO, which he attacked bitterly over its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Asked about Rubio's criticism, Tedros said that "maybe what the secretary said... could be from lack of understanding of how IHR work, and the responsibilities of WHO and other entities", he said, explaining that the agency acted in support of countries rather than replacing them in outbreak responses.


Germany Arrests Married Couple on China Spying Charges

FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa
FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa
TT

Germany Arrests Married Couple on China Spying Charges

FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa
FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa

German police on Wednesday arrested a married couple on charges of spying for China, accusing them of seeking information on advanced technology with military uses.

The couple, German nationals partially named as Xuejun C. and Hua S., were arrested in the southern city of Munich, said the federal prosecution service, which alleged that the pair "work for a Chinese intelligence agency.”

Their homes and workplaces in Munich were being searched, AFP reported.

The couple are alleged to have "established contacts with numerous academics at German universities and research institutions, in particular with chairs in the fields of aerospace engineering, computer science and artificial intelligence.”

To make these contacts, the couple are believed to have "posed as interpreters or as employees of an automobile manufacturer.”

Some scientists were then "enticed to travel to China under the pretext of giving paid lectures to a civilian audience,” but actually ended up addressing employees of state-owned arms manufacturers, prosecutors said.

As well as the suspects' arrests, prosecutors said that "further measures" were being carried out "concerning a total of 10 people who are not suspected of any offence but are potential witnesses" in Berlin, Munich and several other locations across the country.


Israel Takes Step Toward Snap Election as Knesset Votes to Dissolve

Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)
Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Israel Takes Step Toward Snap Election as Knesset Votes to Dissolve

Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)
Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)

Israel moved closer on Wednesday to a snap election after lawmakers gave an initial nod to dissolve parliament, with opinion polls showing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would lose the first national vote since the 2023 Hamas attacks.

Lawmakers voted almost unanimously for an early ballot in a preliminary reading of a bill to disband the 120-seat Knesset.

If it receives final approval, a process ‌that could ‌take weeks, Israel could hold an election several ‌weeks ⁠ahead of an ⁠October 27 deadline.

Netanyahu's own coalition submitted the bill to dissolve parliament after an ultra-Orthodox faction traditionally close to the Israeli leader accused him of failing to deliver on a promise to pass a law exempting their community from mandatory military service.

NETANYAHU BEHIND IN POLLS

Some 110 members of parliament voted in favor of ⁠the bill to dissolve, with no opponents or abstentions. ‌It now heads to committee where ‌an election date is agreed, before going back to the Knesset ‌for final approval.

The vote comes at a pivotal time ‌for Netanyahu, Israel's longest-serving prime minister who leads the most right-wing government in his country's history. Israel has been at war with Hamas in Gaza, Hezbollah in Lebanon and Iran, fronts that remain volatile and could ‌have an impact on the election.

Netanyahu still faces a long-running corruption trial. Israel's President Isaac Herzog ⁠is mediating ⁠talks to broker a plea deal in the case, which could see the 76-year-old Netanyahu retiring from politics as part of the deal.

Netanyahu's health could also be an issue. He recently disclosed that he was successfully treated for prostate cancer and in 2023 he was fitted with a pacemaker.

Since the October 7, 2023 Hamas attacks on Israel, polls have consistently shown Netanyahu's governing coalition falling far short of a parliamentary majority.

However, there is also a chance that opposition parties will fail to form a coalition, leaving Netanyahu at the head of an interim government until the political stalemate is broken.