Girona Can Dream of Spanish League Title 

General manager of Girona FC Ignasi Mas-Bagà poses for a photo at the Girona's sport complex in Barcelona, Spain, Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023. (AP)
General manager of Girona FC Ignasi Mas-Bagà poses for a photo at the Girona's sport complex in Barcelona, Spain, Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023. (AP)
TT

Girona Can Dream of Spanish League Title 

General manager of Girona FC Ignasi Mas-Bagà poses for a photo at the Girona's sport complex in Barcelona, Spain, Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023. (AP)
General manager of Girona FC Ignasi Mas-Bagà poses for a photo at the Girona's sport complex in Barcelona, Spain, Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023. (AP)

Girona’s chief executive isn't hiding his surprise.

At the start of the league season in August, Ignasi Mas-Bagà was hoping his team could avoid a costly relegation from Spanish soccer's top tier that would badly damage the club’s growth plans for years.

Few people are more pleased — and genuinely shocked— than Mas-Bagà to see the team from the northeast corner of Spain leading the standings ahead of powerhouses Real Madrid and Barcelona one-third of the way through the season. Girona entered the latest round as the outright leader before Madrid provisionally moved top Sunday. Girona can recover first place when it plays Athletic Bilbao on Monday.

First or second place, it's still a dream for Girona.

“The goal was non-relegation. That has been the target since we arrived,” Mas-Bagà told The Associated Press at Girona’s training ground with the snow-capped Pyrenees in the distance.

“Leading the table is like a dream for us. But it’s not an obsession. The focus is long-term stability.”

Two years after Mas-Bagà became its CEO after the club had gone through bankruptcy, Girona hit the jackpot not once but twice in the summer of 2017.

Just weeks after it was promoted to Spain’s top flight for the first time in 87 years, the modest club was acquired jointly by Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi ownership and by Pere Guardiola, the brother of City coach Pep Guardiola. In 2020 American-Bolivian businessman Marcelo Claure bought out a part of Pere Guardiola’s share. Now City Football Group holds 47% of the club, Claure 35% and Pere Guardiola 16%.

Even though Girona benefits from being one of 13 clubs invested in by the City Football Group, its team has no big stars and even soccer fans in Spain are just now getting to know many of its players. Much of the credit for its stunning season so far, Mas-Bagà said, goes to coach Míchel Sánchez and sports director Quique Cárcel. They have turned Girona into the sensation of European soccer after 11 wins in 13 rounds.

Girona, like every Spanish league team, has a strict spending cap on salaries based on the revenues generated and debts held by the club itself, not on the assets held by its owners. This season Girona has a spending cap for salaries of around 50 million euros ($55 million), which is only the 13th biggest in the 20-team league with the list topped by Madrid at 727 million euros ($795 million).

But Girona can benefit from being part of the City Football Group network, which besides last year's Champions League winners also includes Italian club Palermo, MLS club New York City FC, and clubs from around the world, including Brazil, Uruguay, Japan, China and Australia.

Girona has two players on its squad who belong to other City Football Group clubs: right back Yan Couto (on loan from Man City) and winger Sávio (on loan from French club Troyes). Both are excelling.

The advantages of the group extend to tapping into its extensive database of scouting reports on players, but also the sharing of marketing strategies and industry knowledge.

And most importantly for Mas-Bagà is the financial backing to let Girona embark on major investments for its future like the training center it is planning to build and the remodeling of its 14,600-seat Montilivi Stadium.

“Being part of City Football Group gives us an opportunity in terms of know-how exchange and also opportunities to look for potential players that can come here on loan,” Mas-Bagà said. “It allows us to have a more global vision, but always keeping in mind that we run the club locally from Girona.”

SECOND CHANCES

Girona has become a home for players making the most of second opportunities.

Take Aleix García, who joined Man City as a teenager, only to soon be loaned out to Girona. Now permanently at the club, García became the first Girona player to debut for Spain’s national team this month.

Barcelona players Éric García and Pablo Torre came on loan this summer — with Girona not seen as a title rival — when former Manchester United and Ajax defender Daley Blind signed for the club. Espanyol veterans David López and Cristhian Stuani have extended their careers here.

Striker Artem Dovbyk and forward Viktor Tsygankov have both arrived over the past year after leaving clubs in Ukraine following the invasion by Russia. With his seven goals, Dovbyk spearheads an attack that has two gears. It can either attack with the speed of Sávio, Tsygankov and Iván Martín, or through long passing buildups featuring García.

One rule for coach Míchel is avoiding what he calls “silly passes,” those short back-and-forth exchanges in midfield that appear to be just for the sake of passing.

NOT WORRIED

Mas-Bagà said that he is not concerned about the possible reprimand Man City is facing for allegedly having violated financial regulations in England.

Nor he is troubled about the UEFA rule that says two teams of the same owner can’t play in the same competition. As of now, Girona and City would qualify for next season’s Champions League, creating a possible conflict that few realistically could have predicted.

Mas-Bagà cited the precedents of two clubs of the same ownership playing in UEFA competitions. In June 2017, after an investigation into Red Bull’s ownership of Leipzig and Salzburg, UEFA let both clubs enter the next Champions League. Other similar cases have followed.

NEW JERSEYS

Girona has a big game on Dec. 10 when it heads two hours south to face another Catalan club, Barcelona, the team that has fans all over the world. The streets of Girona, a well-off city of 100,000, are slowly seeing more of its club's red-and-white jerseys where once there were mostly Barcelona's famous burgundy-and-blue.

While Míchel and the players are dedicated to keeping their winning streak going over the coming weeks, Mas-Bagà's job is to convert what he called this “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity for his club into a factor for future growth. So far, he said, things are looking good. From selling just 800 jerseys for a total of 40,000 euros in 2015, Girona expects to sell 1 million euros worth of shirts this season.

And that is not just in Spain.

“We are selling overseas, Japan, South America, in the States, all over the world. When we arrived, we couldn’t imagine people in Japan waiting over shirts. But that’s happening now,” Mas-Bagà said. “And brands are knocking our doors, but we are also knocking on a lot of doors, because the opportunity is now.”



Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.


Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.