UN Peacekeeping Chief Welcomes Strong Support for its Far-flung Operations despite `Headwinds'

Polish peacekeepers stand together during Reuters' visit at Camp Shamrock where Irish and Polish peacekeepers of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) are stationed near Maroun al-Ras village close to the Lebanese-Israeli border, in southern Lebanon November 29, 2023. REUTERS/Aziz Taher
Polish peacekeepers stand together during Reuters' visit at Camp Shamrock where Irish and Polish peacekeepers of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) are stationed near Maroun al-Ras village close to the Lebanese-Israeli border, in southern Lebanon November 29, 2023. REUTERS/Aziz Taher
TT

UN Peacekeeping Chief Welcomes Strong Support for its Far-flung Operations despite `Headwinds'

Polish peacekeepers stand together during Reuters' visit at Camp Shamrock where Irish and Polish peacekeepers of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) are stationed near Maroun al-Ras village close to the Lebanese-Israeli border, in southern Lebanon November 29, 2023. REUTERS/Aziz Taher
Polish peacekeepers stand together during Reuters' visit at Camp Shamrock where Irish and Polish peacekeepers of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) are stationed near Maroun al-Ras village close to the Lebanese-Israeli border, in southern Lebanon November 29, 2023. REUTERS/Aziz Taher

The United Nations peacekeeping chief says he was very satisfied with the strong support of many countries for its far-flung operations at a recent ministerial meeting, despite “headwinds and challenges and problems.”
Jean-Pierre Lacroix, the undersecretary-general for peace operations, said in an interview with The Associated Press that the bi-annual ministerial meeting in Ghana’ s capital, Accra, earlier this month was attended by nearly 100 countries.
He said 33 countries made pledges of 117 military and police units for the UN’s peacekeeping operations – and 45 countries made over 100 pledges related to training peacekeepers and partnerships.
“We had really a strong level of support towards peacekeeping, which is great ... and the pledges were very good,” Lacroix said.
The number of UN peacekeepers and staff has fallen from over 100,000 worldwide to 70,000 as missions have ended, some more successfully than others.
There are now 12 peacekeeping operations in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East and that number will drop again following demands by the leaders of Mali and Congo for UN troops to leave, complaining that the peacekeepers failed in their primary mandate to protect civilians from armed groups.
There had been concern about continuing support for UN peacekeeping with the unprecedented six-month withdrawal of nearly 13,000 peacekeepers from Mali ending this month, and a recent agreement on the phased withdrawal of the more than 14,000-strong force in Congo.
But Lacroix said there was a strong recommitment to UN peacekeeping.
During the Accra meeting, he said ministers also discussed UN efforts to address other challenges including increasing the number of women peacekeepers, safety and security for troops, misinformation and disinformation affecting peacekeeping operations and discipline, which includes ongoing instances of sexual exploitation and sexual violence by peacekeepers.
Paradoxically, he said, UN peacekeeping remains one of the most supported UN operations, but individually peacekeeping missions face problems because of divisions among the 193 member nations -- especially among the 15 members of the UN Security Council who must approve and extend the mandates for peacekeeping missions.
In the list of pledges, Lacroix said, “we probably have more than what we need."
But it’s just the beginning of a process, he stressed, because the peacekeeping department he heads must now work with countries to turn the pledges into military and police units that can be deployed, and to start training missions.
Looking ahead, Lacroix said member states and host countries have the final say on authorizing new peacekeeping operations and extending existing missions..
In the vast majority of cases, Lacroix said he believes peacekeeping operations provide “added value ... even if all peacekeeping operations are facing a much more difficult environment political and security-wise -- all of them, not only in Africa.”
As for protecting civilians which the leaders of Mali and Congo strongly criticized, Lacroix said hundreds of thousands of civilians are protected every day by UN peacekeepers. And he asked what would happen if peacekeepers were removed from Cyprus or the Golan Heights which Israel captured from Syria in the 1967 war — “and you could say the same thing about many areas in Africa” and elsewhere.
Usually, Lacroix said, the UN can manage difficulties including a degraded level of security for peacekeeping missions, host governments not fully cooperative, and fake news about peacekeepers.
But he said missions become exceedingly difficult to sustain or even untenable when on top of that you have terrorism as in Mali, which UN peacekeepers are not mandated to fight, or regional conflicts like in the Great Lakes region of Africa where its mandate only covered Congo.
As for the future of peacekeeping, Lacroix said, “First of all, we’re as strong as the unity and commitment of our member states is towards opting for multilateral solutions.”
In Mali and Sudan, where peacekeepers were also expelled, he said, “I think it reflects a world where basically, there is less appetite to sort of go along with the multilateral option.”
The ministerial meeting and Lacroix’s interview this week (Monday) took place as two major wars raged, in Ukraine following Russia’s February 2022 invasion, and in Gaza following Hamas’ surprise attacks inside Israel on Oct. 7.
When there is a cessation of hostilities in both wars, Lacroix said, under one of many scenarios there may be a need for a third-party observation mission, and he said the UN has a good network of people in many countries with those capabilities.



Trump Warns 'Won't be Anything Left' of Iran Unless it Agrees to Deal

US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)
US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)
TT

Trump Warns 'Won't be Anything Left' of Iran Unless it Agrees to Deal

US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)
US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)

President Donald Trump on Sunday warned Iran "there won't be anything left of them," if Teheran does not quickly agree to a peace deal with the United States.

"For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

"TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"

Trump is expected to hold a ‌Situation ‌Room ​meeting ‌on ⁠Tuesday ​with his top ⁠national security advisers to ⁠discuss ‌the options ‌for military ​action ‌regarding ‌Iran, Axios reported on ‌Sunday, citing two US officials.

Iranian media that the US had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran's proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war.


US Presents Five-point List that Iran Describes as 'No Tangible Concessions'

A mural depicting the late leader of the Iranian Revolution Ruhollah Khomeini is reflected in a bookshop window display in Tehran, Iran, May 12, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
A mural depicting the late leader of the Iranian Revolution Ruhollah Khomeini is reflected in a bookshop window display in Tehran, Iran, May 12, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
TT

US Presents Five-point List that Iran Describes as 'No Tangible Concessions'

A mural depicting the late leader of the Iranian Revolution Ruhollah Khomeini is reflected in a bookshop window display in Tehran, Iran, May 12, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
A mural depicting the late leader of the Iranian Revolution Ruhollah Khomeini is reflected in a bookshop window display in Tehran, Iran, May 12, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

Iranian media said Sunday that the United States had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran's proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war.

The Fars news agency said Washington had presented a five-point list which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

The US also refused to release "even 25 percent" of Iran's frozen assets abroad or pay any reparations for the damage inflicted on Iran during the war which broke out on February 28, according to Fars.

The report added that the US had conditioned the cessation of hostilities on all fronts on the start of negotiations.

The Mehr news agency, meanwhile, said: "The United States, offering no tangible concessions, wants to obtain concessions that it failed to obtain during the war, which will lead to an impasse in the negotiations."

In its proposal, Iran had called for an end of the war on all fronts including Israel's campaign in Lebanon, as well as a halt to the US naval blockade on Iranian ports in place since April 13.

It also called for lifting all of the US sanctions and the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad under longstanding US sanctions, according to the Iranian foreign ministry in a press conference last week.

Fars said the Iranian proposal had emphasized that Tehran would continue to manage the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a vital energy conduit which it has largely kept closed since the start of the war.

On Sunday, Iranian armed forces spokesman Abolfazl Shekarchi warned US President Donald Trump against restarting attacks on Iran.

"The desperate American president should know that if his threats are carried out and Islamic Iran is attacked again, his country's resources and military will be confronted with unprecedented, offensive, surprising and tumultuous scenarios," he said, according to state television.

Similarly, deputy speaker of parliament Hamidreza Hajibabaei warned against attacking Iranian oil infrastructure.

"If Iranian oil is harmed, Iran will take measures that will prevent the United States and the world from accessing oil from the region for an extended period," he said, according to the news agency ISNA.


Iran Chief Negotiator Ghalibaf Appointed to Oversee Ties with China

FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -
FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -
TT

Iran Chief Negotiator Ghalibaf Appointed to Oversee Ties with China

FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -
FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -

Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who recently emerged as a chief negotiator in talks with the United States, has been appointed to oversee relations with China, Iranian media reported on Sunday.

"Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf has recently been appointed as a special representative of the Islamic republic of Iran for China affairs," Tasnim news agency reported, citing "informed sources,” with other media carrying similar reports.

It was not immediately clear who appointed Ghalibaf to the role, but Tasnim said he would "coordinate various sectors of relations between Iran and China.”

Pakistan's Interior Minister arrived in Tehran on Saturday "to facilitate" the peace talks between Iran and the US that have stalled despite a fragile ceasefire, Iranian media reported.

Islamabad has been actively mediating in the peace talks and last month hosted a high stakes meeting between delegations from both sides.

A ceasefire that began on April 8 has largely halted the fighting that erupted when US and Israeli forces attacked Iran on February 28.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that Tehran had received messages from Washington indicating that President Donald Trump's administration was willing to continue negotiations.