Some Undecided Voters Not Convinced by Harris After Debate with Trump 

A man holds a Harris-Walz flag as supporters of Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris attend a watch party during the US Presidential debate between Harris and former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump in in Nashville, Tennessee, on September 10, 2024. (AFP)
A man holds a Harris-Walz flag as supporters of Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris attend a watch party during the US Presidential debate between Harris and former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump in in Nashville, Tennessee, on September 10, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Some Undecided Voters Not Convinced by Harris After Debate with Trump 

A man holds a Harris-Walz flag as supporters of Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris attend a watch party during the US Presidential debate between Harris and former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump in in Nashville, Tennessee, on September 10, 2024. (AFP)
A man holds a Harris-Walz flag as supporters of Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris attend a watch party during the US Presidential debate between Harris and former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump in in Nashville, Tennessee, on September 10, 2024. (AFP)

Kamala Harris was widely seen as dominating Tuesday's presidential debate against Republican former president Donald Trump, but a group of undecided voters remained unconvinced that the Democratic vice president was the better candidate.

Reuters interviewed 10 people who were still unsure how they were going to vote in the Nov. 5 election before they watched the debate. Six said afterward they would now either vote for Trump or were leaning toward backing him. Three said they would now back Harris and one was still unsure how he would vote.

Harris and Trump are in a tight race and the election will likely be decided by just tens of thousands of votes in a handful of battleground states, many of whom are swing voters like the undecided voters who spoke to Reuters.

Although the sample size was small, the responses suggested Harris might need to provide more detailed policy proposals to win over voters who have yet to make up their minds.

Five said they found Harris vague during the more than 90-minute debate on how she would improve the US economy and deal with the high cost of living, a top concern for voters.

The encounter was particularly important for Harris, with a weekend New York Times/Siena College opinion poll showing that more than a quarter of likely voters feel they do not know enough about her, in contrast to the well-known Trump.

The Trump converts said they trusted him more on the economy, even though all said they did not like him as a person. They said their personal financial situation had been better when he was president between 2017-2021. Some singled out his proposal to tax foreign imports, although economists say that is likely to raise prices.

Four of those six also said Harris did not convince them she would pursue different economic policies than Democratic President Joe Biden, a Democrat they largely blame for the high cost of living.

"I still don't know what she is for," said Mark Kadish, 61, an entrepreneur in Florida. "There was no real meat and bones for her plans."

Four of the voters are women and six are men; eight are white and two are Black. All have voted for both Democratic and Republican candidates in the past.

Harris did mention some policy specifics, including her plan to offer tax benefits to families and small businesses. But she focused much of the debate on attacking Trump rather than laying out detailed policies.

Robert Wheeler, 48, a security firm executive in Nevada, was leaning toward Harris before the debate. He now says if the election were held tomorrow, he would vote for Trump, largely because he thought Harris didn't provide clarity on her policies.

"I felt like the whole debate was Kamala Harris telling me why not to vote for Donald Trump instead of why she's the right candidate," Wheeler said.

But Meredith Marshall, who is self-employed and lives in Los Angeles, said she was now for Harris. She said she had hoped to hear more about the economy from the vice president, but still liked her plan to help small business owners.



WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
TT

WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)

The World Health Organization chief said Tuesday he was "deeply concerned" by an Ebola outbreak raging in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has spilled into Uganda, believed to have killed 131 people. 

"Early on Sunday, I declared a public health emergency of international concern over an epidemic of Ebola disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told the World Health Assembly in Geneva. 

"I did not do this lightly... I'm deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic," he said. 

The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) declared the outbreak a Continental Public Health Emergency, in a statement late Monday.

The Democratic Republic of Congo has recorded 131 deaths from 513 suspected cases of Ebola, and there has been one death in neighboring Uganda.

Declaring a continental emergency empowers the Africa CDC, based in Ethiopia, to mobilize extra resources including emergency response teams and surveillance operations.

"Africa CDC expresses deep concern about the high risk of regional spread due to intense cross-border population movements, mobility related to mining activities, insecurity in affected areas, weak infection prevention and control measures... and the proximity of affected areas to Rwanda and South Sudan," it said.

The agency said it was working closely with the WHO to strengthen coordination, as developed in response to recent mpox and cholera outbreaks.

"This outbreak is occurring in one of the continent's most complex operational environments, marked by insecurity, population mobility, fragile health systems, and the limited availability of medical countermeasures for Bundibugyo strain Ebola virus disease," said Africa CDC head Jean Kaseya.


US Court Accuses Former Venezuelan Industry Minister of Money Laundering for Maduro

FILE PHOTO: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro embraces Alex Saab, who was facing US bribery charges, after he was released by the US government, at the Miraflores Palace, in Caracas, Venezuela, December 20, 2023. REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro embraces Alex Saab, who was facing US bribery charges, after he was released by the US government, at the Miraflores Palace, in Caracas, Venezuela, December 20, 2023. REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria/File Photo
TT

US Court Accuses Former Venezuelan Industry Minister of Money Laundering for Maduro

FILE PHOTO: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro embraces Alex Saab, who was facing US bribery charges, after he was released by the US government, at the Miraflores Palace, in Caracas, Venezuela, December 20, 2023. REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro embraces Alex Saab, who was facing US bribery charges, after he was released by the US government, at the Miraflores Palace, in Caracas, Venezuela, December 20, 2023. REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria/File Photo

Venezuela's former minister of industry appeared in a US court Monday to face money laundering charges under accusations of being a front man for deposed president Nicolas Maduro.

Alex Saab, a 54-year-old Colombia-born businessman and close ally of Maduro's, appeared in US federal court in Miami where he was indicted on charges he oversaw a network that exploited a subsidized food aid program for Venezuela known as CLAP.

"Alex Saab allegedly used American banks to launder hundreds of millions of dollars stolen from a Venezuelan food program meant for the poor and proceeds from the illegal sale of Venezuelan oil," US Assistant Attorney General A. Tysen Duva said in a statement.

Saab, who was expelled from Venezuela on Saturday, had originally become involved with politics in the South American country during the final years of leftist firebrand Hugo Chavez's 1999-2013 presidency, said AFP.

Under Maduro, he was accused of acting as front man and money launderer, and in return was granted Venezuelan citizenship and a diplomatic passport.

First hit by US sanctions in 2019, Saab had been arrested in Cape Verde in 2020 and extradited to the United States the following year, but he was released in 2023 as part of a negotiated prisoner exchange with Venezuela.

Maduro appointed Saab to be his minister of industry in 2024, but shortly after US forces Maduro in a deadly Caracas raid earlier this year, interim president Delcy Rodriguez dismissed him from all his posts.


Iran Says Peace Proposal Includes Reparations for War Damage, US Troop Withdrawal

People walk on a street near a mural featuring an image of the late Supreme Leader of Iran, Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk on a street near a mural featuring an image of the late Supreme Leader of Iran, Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Iran Says Peace Proposal Includes Reparations for War Damage, US Troop Withdrawal

People walk on a street near a mural featuring an image of the late Supreme Leader of Iran, Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk on a street near a mural featuring an image of the late Supreme Leader of Iran, Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Tehran's latest peace proposal to the United States involves ending hostilities on all fronts including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by the US-Israeli war, state media reported on Tuesday.

In Tehran's first comments on the proposal, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran also sought the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the US marine blockade on the country, according to IRNA news agency.

The terms as described in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran's previous offer, which US President Donald Trump rejected last week as "garbage".

Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned resumption of attacks on Iran after Tehran sent a new peace proposal to Washington, and that there was now a "very good chance" of reaching a deal limiting Iran's nuclear program.

Reuters could not determine whether preparations had been made for ‌strikes that would ‌mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.

Under pressure to reach ‌an accord ⁠that would ⁠reopen the Strait of Hormuz - a key supply route for global supplies of oil and other commodities - Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the conflict, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran did not reach a deal.

In a social media post, Trump said the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had requested that he hold off on the attack because "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond."

Speaking to reporters later on Monday, he said the United States would be satisfied ⁠if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevented Tehran from obtaining a nuclear ‌weapon.

"There seems to be a very good chance that they can ‌work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy," Trump told reporters.

A ‌Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides since hosting the only round of peace talks last ‌month, had shared the Iranian proposal with Washington.

The sides "keep changing their goalposts," the Pakistani source said, adding: "We don't have much time."

MIXED SIGNALS

Although neither side has publicly disclosed any concessions in negotiations that have been stalled for a month, a senior Iranian official suggested on Monday that Washington may be softening some of its demands.

The source said the US had agreed to release a quarter of Iran's frozen funds - totaling tens ‌of billions of dollars - held in foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released.

And the source said Washington had shown more flexibility in agreeing to let Iran continue some ⁠peaceful nuclear activity under supervision ⁠of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The US has not confirmed that it has agreed to anything in the talks.

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, denied a report by Iran's Tasnim news agency that Washington had agreed to waive oil sanctions on Iran while negotiations were under way.

The US-Israeli bombing killed thousands of people in Iran before it was suspended in a ceasefire in early April. Israel has killed thousands more and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes in Lebanon, which it invaded in pursuit of the Iran-backed Hezbollah. Iranian strikes on Israel and neighboring Gulf states have killed dozens of people.

The Iran ceasefire has mostly held, although drones have lately been launched from Iraq towards Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, apparently by Iran and its allies.

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said they launched the war to curb Iran's support for regional armed proxies, dismantle its nuclear program, destroy its missile capabilities, and create conditions for Iranians to topple their rulers.

But the war has yet to deprive Iran of its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium or its ability to threaten neighbors with missiles, drones and proxies.

Iran's clerical leadership, which had faced a mass uprising at the start of the year, withstood the superpower onslaught with no sign of organized opposition.