Khalid bin Salman in Iran, Hands Khamenei Message from King Salman

This handout picture provided by the office of Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei shows him (R) meeting with Saudi Arabia's Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman in Tehran on April 17, 2025. (Photo by KHAMENEI.IR / AFP)
This handout picture provided by the office of Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei shows him (R) meeting with Saudi Arabia's Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman in Tehran on April 17, 2025. (Photo by KHAMENEI.IR / AFP)
TT

Khalid bin Salman in Iran, Hands Khamenei Message from King Salman

This handout picture provided by the office of Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei shows him (R) meeting with Saudi Arabia's Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman in Tehran on April 17, 2025. (Photo by KHAMENEI.IR / AFP)
This handout picture provided by the office of Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei shows him (R) meeting with Saudi Arabia's Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman in Tehran on April 17, 2025. (Photo by KHAMENEI.IR / AFP)

Saudi Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman held talks in Tehran on Thursday with Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and President Masoud Pezeshkian.

In a post on the X platform, Prince Khalid said he was visiting Iran at the directives of the Saudi leadership, revealing that he had handed Khamenei a written message from Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz.

He added that he discussed with Khamenei issues of common interest and bilateral relations between their countries.

“Ties with Saudi Arabia are beneficial for both countries and we can complement each other,” Khamenei was quoted as saying by Iran’s Tasnim news agency,

The meeting was attended by chief of staff of Iran's Armed Forces Mohammad Bagheri.

Prince Khalid was received by Bagheri upon his arrival in Tehran.

“Relations with Saudi Arabia have been witnessing growth and development since the signing of the Beijing Agreement,” Bagheri was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

Tehran and Riyadh can play an important role in ensuring regional security, he added.

Moreover, he said his country was ready to develop defense ties with the Kingdom.

Tehran also “appreciates Saudi Arabia’s position towards Gaza and Palestine,” he said, according to Tasnim.

Prince Khalid’s visit comes amid major regional and international developments.

Saudi and Iranian officials are set to sit down for talks on a number of issues, while Prince Khalid will hold several meetings focused on bilateral relations between Riyadh and Tehran.

Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, held telephone talks last week with Pezeshkian that covered regional developments and issues of common interests.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araqhchi held telephone talks on Monday.

This is second visit by a Saudi defense minister to Tehran since 1979 when late Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz for four days in 1999.

Prince Khalid is the highest-ranking official from the Kingdom to visit Iran since the two countries reached a Chinese-mediated détente in March 2023. FM Prince Faisal visited later that year.

Saudi political analyst Abdel Latif al-Melhem said Prince Khalid’s visit reflects the Saudi leadership’s keenness on bolstering and developing ties with Iran in line with the Beijing Agreement.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Saudi leadership is seeking to achieve peace and prosperity in the region and close the chapter of regional conflicts and embark on a phase of stability and security.

He noted that the development of relations between Riyadh and Tehran can be attributed to the efforts led by Crown Prince Mohammed to achieve peace, security, stability and prosperity in the region.



Saudi Interior Minister Reviews Readiness of Hajj Security Forces for Hajj Season

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Interior Minister Reviews Readiness of Hajj Security Forces for Hajj Season

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces to implement approved field and organizational plans for the 1447 AH Hajj season during the annual ceremony held by participating Hajj security forces in Makkah, the Saudi Press Agency said.

Director of Public Security and Chairman of the Hajj Security Committee Mohammed Al-Bassami said in a speech delivered on the occasion that the Saudi leadership has mobilized all resources and capabilities to serve pilgrims, making the Kingdom a leading global model in crowd management and in achieving the highest levels of organization and smooth movement. These efforts enable pilgrims to perform rituals in safety and tranquility.

He explained that the Hajj Security Forces have commenced implementing this season’s duties through integrated security and preventive plans built on lessons learned from previous years and designed to anticipate various scenarios and contingencies.

The plans aim to ensure the safety and security of pilgrims in Makkah, the holy sites, Madinah, and along all routes used by pilgrims.

Al-Bassami also stressed that authorities will firmly confront any attempt to politicize Hajj, disrupt pilgrims’ security, or disturb the performance of rituals. He underscored the full readiness of Hajj Security Forces to carry out approved plans.

The ceremony included several security and field simulations demonstrating the readiness and operational capabilities of participating forces. It also featured displays of security vehicles, modern technologies used during Hajj, and support from Security Aviation and field support vehicles.

The ceremony was attended by members of the Supreme Hajj Committee, security and military commanders, and several senior officials.

 


Saudi Arabia Condemns Explosion near Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus

Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Explosion near Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus

Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Saudi Arabia condemned on Thursday the explosion that occurred near a building belonging to the Syrian Ministry of Defense in Damascus, which resulted in the death of a soldier and injuries to several civilians, the Saudi Press Agency said.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that Saudi Arabia reiterates its firm stance against all forms of violence and expresses its condolences and solidarity with Syria, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.


Saudi Foreign Minister Receives Phone Call from Syrian Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
TT

Saudi Foreign Minister Receives Phone Call from Syrian Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received a phone call from his Syrian counterpart Asaad Al-Shaibani, the Saudi Press agency reported on Thursday.

During the call, they discussed bilateral relations and the latest developments of mutual interest.