Terrorism Expands in Africa, Threatens Global Security

Terrosim expands in Africa 
Terrosim expands in Africa 
TT

Terrorism Expands in Africa, Threatens Global Security

Terrosim expands in Africa 
Terrosim expands in Africa 

Senegalese authorities on Saturday positioned new gendarmerie units near the country’s eastern border, to address growing insurgent threats from neighboring Mali.

The move came amid UN reports warning that in recent months, there has been a marked increase in attacks by armed groups and terrorists on military bases and raids targeting civilian centers across the Central Sahel region—particularly in Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger—raising concerns about the stability of these countries.

In early July, several Malian army positions in western Mali, some near the Senegalese border, were targeted in coordinated attacks, including Diboli, a town less than 500 meters from Senegal's Kidira.

Senegalese feared further violence could spill into Senegal, particularly after the attacks were claimed by the Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims (JNIM), an extremist group aligned with al-Qaeda.

UN Warnings

Experts warned last week that the situation in the Sahel remained deeply concerning. They said the overall trend was an expansion of the area of operations of JNIM and a resurgence of activity by ISIS in the Greater Sahara, particularly along the Niger and Nigeria border, where the group was seeking to entrench itself.

In a report presented to the Security Council, the experts said that partly because of ISIS losses in the Middle East, the organization’s pivot towards parts of Africa continued.

But, they added, there were concerns that some extremist fighters could move to Afghanistan and further to stage operations against regional States, firstly in Central Asia.

According to the report, ISIS continued to represent the most significant terrorist threat to Europe and the US.

“The nature of this threat has evolved little since the previous assessment and is primarily driven by ISIS – with individuals often, although not exclusively, radicalized via social media and encrypted messaging platforms,” the experts said.

It stated that in contrast to 2024, fallout from the Gaza and Israel conflict had less visible impact.

While such events still featured prominently in terrorist propaganda, references to them were less frequent in interviews with suspects involved in either completed attacks or foiled plots, the experts stated.

In the United States, the report said there were several alleged terrorist attack plots, largely motivated by the Gaza and Israel conflict or individuals inspired and radicalized by ISIS.

On 1 January, an American citizen pledging support to ISIS drove a truck into a crowd in New Orleans, killing 14 people – the deadliest attack associated with al-Qaeda or ISIS in the United States since 2016. Also, authorities disrupted attacks, including an ISIS-inspired plot to conduct a mass shooting at a military base in Michigan.

In addition to the ISIS and al-Qaeda threats, the report said JNIM is now able to maneuver freely and is now capable of directly threatening regional capitals.

In a new report released by the Africa Center for Strategic Studies last month, Africa surpassed 150,000 deaths linked to ISIS militant in the past decade.

It said the 22,307 fatalities linked to terrorist groups over the past year sustain a record level of lethality observed since 2023 and represent a 60% increase from the 2020-2022 period.

The Center showed that for the last 4 years, Burkina Faso has been the epicenter of violent events and fatalities linked to militant groups in the Sahelian theater.

In the past year, Burkina Faso accounted for 55% of these fatalities.

Also, militant groups linked to JNIM network account for 83% of all fatalities in the Sahel, it said.

Led by the Macina Liberation Front and Ansar Dine, these JNIM groups primarily operate in north, central, and southern Mali and southern Burkina Faso.

Comprising an estimated 6,000-7,000 fighters, these groups are also pushing into the border areas of the coastal West African countries.

The report also said that estimates are that al Shabab capabilities in Somalia have expanded in the past year due to an increasingly cooperative relationship with Yemen’s Houthis.

Due to the growing instability, the number of forcibly displaced people in the region is now over 3.5 million—a figure that is likely much higher given lack of independent reporting and the failure of military authorities in Burkina Faso to update these figures since 2023.

Civilians in Mali and Burkina Faso must also contend with predatory violence from security forces and Russian Wagner and Africa Corps paramilitaries.

For the last 4 years, there have been a reported 1,292 such attacks, causing 6,058 fatalities.

This exceeds the 5,708 civilian fatalities linked to militant groups in the two countries over this timeframe, the Center said.

It also stated that the Lake Chad Basin saw a 7% increase in fatalities (3,982) linked to militant extremist violence over the past year, demonstrating the continued resilience of Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’Awati Wal Jihad (Boko Haram) and the ISIS group in West Africa (ISWA).

Experts concluded that terrorist groups in Africa have become “more organized and innovative” in weak-run States. They said the targeting of civilians is a key driver to recruitment.

 

 



Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
TT

Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)

The Israeli army said it was on "defensive alert" as the United States threatens potential military action against Iran, but insisted there were no changes in its guidelines for the public.

"We are closely monitoring regional developments and are aware of the public discourse concerning Iran. The (Israeli military) is on defensive alert," army spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin said in a video statement published Friday.

"Our eyes are wide open in all directions, and our finger is more than ever on the trigger in response to any change in the operational reality," he added, but emphasized "there is no change in the instructions".


Trump Says Weighing Strike on Iran as Tehran Says Draft Deal Coming Soon

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Trump Says Weighing Strike on Iran as Tehran Says Draft Deal Coming Soon

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)

US President Donald Trump said he was considering a limited strike on Iran after ordering a major naval buildup in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran to cut a deal to curb its nuclear program.

The latest threat came after Iran's foreign minister said a draft proposal for an agreement with Washington would be ready in a matter of days following negotiations between the two sides in Geneva earlier this week.

Trump had suggesting on Thursday that "bad things" would happen if Tehran did not strike a deal within 10 days, which he subsequently extended to 15.

Asked by a reporter on Friday whether he was contemplating a limited military strike, Trump answered: "The most I can say -- I am considering it."

After the talks in Geneva, Tehran said the two sides had agreed to submit drafts of a potential agreement, which Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told US media would be the "next step".

"I believe that in the next two, three days, that would be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, that would be handed over to Steve Witkoff," he said, referring to Trump's main Middle East negotiator.

Araghchi also said US negotiators had not requested that Tehran end its nuclear enrichment program, contradicting statements from American officials.

"We have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment," he said in an interview released Friday by US TV network MS NOW.

"What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran's nuclear program, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever," he added.

His comments stand in contrast to information relayed by high-ranking US officials, including Trump, who has repeatedly said Iran must not be allowed to enrich uranium at any level.

Western countries accuse Tehran of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons, which it denies, though it insists on its right to enrichment for civilian purposes.

Iran, for its part, is seeking to negotiate an end to sanctions that have proven to be a massive drag on its economy.

Economic hardships sparked protests in December that evolved into a nationwide anti-government movement last month, prompting a crackdown from authorities that left thousands dead, rights groups say.

- 'No ultimatum' -

The two foes held an initial round of discussions on February 6 in Oman, the first since previous talks collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war last June, which the US joined by striking Iranian nuclear facilities.

Washington has pursued a major military build-up in the region in tandem with the talks, and both sides have traded threats of military action for weeks.

On Thursday, Trump again suggested the US would attack Iran if it did not make a deal within the timeframe he laid out.

"We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," Trump told the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace", his initiative for the post-war Gaza Strip.

Iran's ambassador to the UN, Amir Saeid Iravani, warned that US bases, facilities and assets would be "legitimate targets" if the United States followed through on its threats.

Araghchi, however, insisted that "there is no ultimatum".

"We only talk with each other how we can have a fast deal. And a fast deal is something that both sides are interested about," he said.

"We are under sanctions, (so) obviously any day that sanctions are terminated sooner it would be better for us," he said, adding Iran had "no reason to delay".

Washington has repeatedly called for zero enrichment, but has also sought to address Iran's ballistic missile program and its support for militant groups in the region -- issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks.

The Israeli army said Friday that it was on "defensive alert" regarding the situation with Iran, but that its guidelines for the public remained unchanged.

Ratcheting up the pressure, Trump has deployed a significant naval force to the region.

After sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, he ordered a second carrier, the Gerald Ford, to depart for the Middle East.

Iranian naval forces also conducted military drills this week in the Gulf and around the strategic Strait of Hormuz in their own show of force.


UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
TT

UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

Britain's foreign minister Yvette Cooper ‌will meet with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday, after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of London for ceding sovereignty of ​the Chagos Islands, which is home to a US-UK air base.
Last year, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed a deal to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius, while keeping control of one - Diego Garcia - through a 99-year lease that preserved US operations at the base, Reuters said.
Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but Trump has since ‌changed his mind ‌several times. In January, Trump described it ​as ‌an ⁠act ​of "great stupidity", ⁠but earlier this month said he understood the deal was the best Starmer could make, before then renewing his criticism this week.
Cooper is meeting Rubio to discuss defense and security issues in Washington as Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran, saying Tehran must make a deal over its nuclear program in the ⁠next 10 to 15 days, or "really bad ‌things" will happen.
The Diego Garcia ‌base has recently been used for ​operations in the Middle East against ‌Yemen's Houthis and in humanitarian aid to Gaza.
Although on Tuesday ‌Rubio's State Department said it backed the Chagos accord, the next day Trump said Britain was making a big mistake.
"DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!" Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, saying the ‌base could be called upon in any future military operation to "eradicate a potential attack" from ⁠Iran.
Under the ⁠conditions for using the joint base, Britain would need to agree in advance to any operations out of Diego Garcia.
On Thursday, Britain's The Times newspaper reported that Trump's latest criticism of the Chagos deal came because Britain was yet to give permission to use the bases for future strikes against Iran, owing to concerns they may breach international law.
Asked about The Times report, Britain's Ministry of Defence said on Thursday it does not comment on operational matters and that Britain supported ​the ongoing political process between ​the US and Iran.