Thailand Again Accuses Cambodia of Planting Land Mines as 3 Soldiers Are Hurt by Blast Along Border

Anti-government protesters hold Thai national flags during a rally to condemn war with Cambodia and demand the resignation of Thailand's suspended prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, at Victory Monument in Bangkok on August 2, 2025. (AFP)
Anti-government protesters hold Thai national flags during a rally to condemn war with Cambodia and demand the resignation of Thailand's suspended prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, at Victory Monument in Bangkok on August 2, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Thailand Again Accuses Cambodia of Planting Land Mines as 3 Soldiers Are Hurt by Blast Along Border

Anti-government protesters hold Thai national flags during a rally to condemn war with Cambodia and demand the resignation of Thailand's suspended prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, at Victory Monument in Bangkok on August 2, 2025. (AFP)
Anti-government protesters hold Thai national flags during a rally to condemn war with Cambodia and demand the resignation of Thailand's suspended prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, at Victory Monument in Bangkok on August 2, 2025. (AFP)

Three Thai soldiers on patrol were wounded Saturday when one stepped on a land mine in territory along the border with Cambodia, Thailand’s army announced.

The incident came just two days after the two countries reaffirmed their adherence to a ceasefire to end a brief armed conflict.

The army’s statement said the incident took place in Thailand’s Sisaket province and “clearly demonstrates to both domestic and international society that the use of concealed weapons in border areas continues to exist, constituting a clear violation of the Ottawa Convention by the Cambodian side.”

The Ottawa Convention, also called the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Treaty, is an international agreement banning the weapons’ use, and both Thailand and Cambodia have committed to it.

A statement from Thailand’s foreign ministry said the incident confirmed the Thai army’s findings “that new land mines are being laid in blatant violation of international law.” It also noted this was the third such incident in less than a month.

Five days of armed conflict broke out last month, killing dozens of people on both sides, including civilians, and displacing more than 260,000. The fighting broke out a day after five Thai soldiers were wounded when one tripped an antipersonnel mine in disputed territory.

A ceasefire that took effect on July 29 ended major fighting, though tension remained high. The two countries on Thursday at a meeting in Malaysia committed to a 13-point agreement on implementing their truce.

The Thai army statement, citing its spokesperson Maj. Gen. Winthai Suvaree, charged that Saturday’s mine explosion constituted “a significant obstacle to the implementation of ceasefire measures and peaceful resolution of problems.”

A statement issued in response by the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority denied Thailand’s allegation that Cambodia had laid new mines.

“We have not, and will not, plant new land mines,” said the statement, noting that Cambodia is a party to the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Treaty Convention, “and has an internationally recognized record of removing, not deploying, these indiscriminate weapons."

It noted that Cambodia has cleared more than 1 million mines and nearly 3 million other pieces of unexploded ordnance left over from more than three decades of war and civil unrest that began in 1970. Cambodia had suggested that two earlier explosions last month wounding Thai soldiers might be land mines from past conflicts.

Tensions had simmered since May this year when a Cambodian soldier was shot dead by Thai troops in a brief fracas in another contested border area. The escalating dispute was marked by border crossing restrictions and cross-border boycotts and bans of goods and services before fighting broke out.

In Saturday’s incident, a Thai sergeant major suffered severe injuries, including losing his left foot, said the Thai army statement, while two privates suffered lesser injuries.



US Military Strikes Another Alleged Drug Boat in Eastern Pacific, Killing 3

A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)
A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)
TT

US Military Strikes Another Alleged Drug Boat in Eastern Pacific, Killing 3

A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)
A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)

The US military said Friday that it has carried out another deadly strike on a vessel accused of trafficking drugs in the Eastern Pacific Ocean.

US Southern Command said on social media that the boat “was transiting along known narco-trafficking routes in the Eastern Pacific and was engaged in narco-trafficking operations.” It said the strike killed three people. A video linked to the post shows a boat floating in the water before bursting into flames.

Friday’s attack raises the death toll from the Trump administration’s strikes on alleged drug boats to at least 148 people in at least 43 attacks carried out since early September in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean.

President Donald Trump has said the US is in “armed conflict” with cartels in Latin America and has justified the attacks as a necessary escalation to stem the flow of drugs. But his administration has offered little evidence to support its claims of killing “narcoterrorists.”

Critics have questioned the overall legality of the strikes as well as their effectiveness, in part because the fentanyl behind many fatal overdoses is typically trafficked to the US over land from Mexico.


Afghanistan Quake Causes No ‘Serious’ Damage, Injuries, Says Official

Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Afghanistan Quake Causes No ‘Serious’ Damage, Injuries, Says Official

Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

A 5.8-magnitude earthquake that rocked eastern Afghanistan including the capital Kabul has resulted in only minor damage and one reported injury, a disaster official told AFP on Saturday.

The quake hit on Friday just as people in the Muslim-majority country were sitting down to break their Ramadan fast.

The epicenter was near several remote villages around 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Kabul, the United States Geological Survey said.

"There aren't any serious casualties or damages after yesterday's earthquake," said Mohammad Yousuf Hamad, spokesman for the National Disaster Management Authority.

He added that one person had sustained "a minor injury in Takhar", in Afghanistan's north, "and three houses had minor damage in Laghman" province.

Zilgay Talabi, a resident of Khenj district near the epicenter, said the tremor was "very strong, it went on for almost 30 seconds".

Earthquakes are common in Afghanistan, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range, near where the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates meet.

In August last year, a shallow 6.0-magnitude quake in the country's east wiped out mountainside villages and killed more than 2,200 people.

Weeks later, a 6.3-magnitude quake in northern Afghanistan killed 27 people.

Large tremors in western Herat, near the Iranian border, in 2023, and in Nangarhar province in 2022, killed hundreds and destroyed thousands of homes.

Many homes in the predominantly rural country, which has been devastated by decades of war, are shoddily built.

Poor communication networks and infrastructure in mountainous Afghanistan have hampered disaster responses in the past, preventing authorities from reaching far-flung villages for hours or even days before they could assess the extent of the damage.


Serbia Urges Citizens to Quit Iran ‘As Soon as Possible’

People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Serbia Urges Citizens to Quit Iran ‘As Soon as Possible’

People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Serbia has urged its citizens in Iran to leave the country "as soon as possible", after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over the country's nuclear program.

The Balkan nation had already invited Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and not to travel there, as the country's clerical authorities launched a bloody crackdown on a mass protest movement.

"Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period," the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website published overnight Friday to Saturday.

"All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible."

Iran said on Friday that it was hoping for a quick deal with the United States on Tehran's nuclear program, long a source of discord between the two foes.

But Trump, after ordering a major naval build-up in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran, said on Friday that he was "considering" a limited military strike if the negotiations proved unfruitful.