Sudan’s Umma Leader Urges Army to Sideline Islamists for Talks

Umma Party leader Fadlallah Burma Nasser (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Umma Party leader Fadlallah Burma Nasser (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Sudan’s Umma Leader Urges Army to Sideline Islamists for Talks

Umma Party leader Fadlallah Burma Nasser (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Umma Party leader Fadlallah Burma Nasser (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Sudan’s “Founding Sudan Alliance” and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) will not negotiate with the Islamist movement or its affiliates, but will only engage with the Sudanese army, Umma Party leader Fadlallah Burma Nasser said, stressing that the 22-month war would end only through a combination of military and political action.

“The basic condition for talks with the army is to exclude the Islamists who ignited this war,” Nasser told Asharq Al-Awsat in an interview in Nairobi.

“They cannot be rewarded for the crimes they committed against the Sudanese people by allowing them to join negotiations,” he said, adding that any settlement must incorporate the Founding Alliance’s political charter and draft transitional constitution.

Nasser, a retired general whose Umma Party is one of Sudan’s largest, described the conflict that erupted on April 15, 2023 as “unprecedented,” saying its toll had surpassed that of Sudan’s longest civil wars – the first and second southern wars and the Darfur conflict – combined. “All those wars together did not cause the destruction we are witnessing today,” he said.

Citing a previous statement by Ibrahim Ghandour, a senior figure in the now-banned National Congress Party, Nasser accused the Islamist movement of triggering the conflict by attacking an RSF base in Khartoum and killing more than 4,000 fighters in Omdurman’s al-Merkhiat camp.

Nasser said the war would only stop if “a rifle faces a rifle” alongside a political campaign to mobilize regional, international and domestic support. Without that, he warned, the fighting would continue until one side is defeated.

He recalled that former prime minister Abdalla Hamdok, then head of the now-defunct “Tagadom” coalition, had written to army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti) urging a ceasefire.

Hemedti signed the Addis Ababa Declaration in January 2024, but Burhan “showed no response,” Nasser said.

“Every Sudanese wants to stop the war – except the Islamists, who control the army,” Nasser said, estimating that more than 100,000 fighters on both sides had been killed, with millions displaced and facing hunger.

Nasser defended his party’s alliance with the RSF in the Founding Sudan Alliance, saying its primary goal was to end the war. The bloc has formed a government to engage the world diplomatically while fighting continues on the ground, he said.

He claimed the RSF and alliance forces were advancing in Darfur and Kordofan, home to more than 80% of Sudan’s population, but insisted they remained open to peace.

Nasser accused Islamists allied with the army and the Port Sudan-based government of seeking to fragment the country by issuing a new currency, denying identity papers to residents of RSF-held areas and enforcing a “foreign faces” law targeting specific communities.

He rejected the idea that the army leadership alone opposed talks, noting that Burhan’s deputy Shams al-Din Kabashi had signed a principles agreement with RSF deputy chief Abdelrahim Dagalo in Bahrain, only for Islamists to derail regional and international peace efforts.

Nasser acknowledged disputes inside the Umma Party, with one faction siding with the Port Sudan government. He said they had been given time to reverse their stance or face expulsion.

Another group aligned with Hamdok’s “Samood” bloc shared the same goals as the Founding Alliance but disagreed over tactics, arguing that forming a government in Nyala would split the country.

Nasser said the Umma Party would join the Founding Alliance government at all levels but he personally would not take a cabinet post, focusing instead on uniting Sudan’s political forces. He predicted the new government would win international recognition by establishing “facts on the ground” while presenting a vision for peace.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.