Iranian Lawmaker: Europe Within Range of Our Missiles

An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
TT

Iranian Lawmaker: Europe Within Range of Our Missiles

An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)

An Iranian lawmaker and an official in the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) warned on Sunday that European countries are within range of Iranian missiles, remarks made as Britain, France and Germany signal they are ready to reimpose UN sanctions on Iran.

“All possible sanctions have already been imposed on our country. The unilateral and multilateral sanctions by the US and Europe are already at their peak. So, activating the snapback mechanism will bring no new negative consequences for Iran’s economy and is merely a political move,” said Amir Hayat-Moqaddam, a member of parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee.

He told the Iran Observer website that the Europeans are trying to extend the deadline for triggering the snapback mechanism. “If this happens, there will be no legal basis to reinstate resolutions canceled by Resolution 2231. Then, Iran will not be listed under Chapter VII of the UN Charter.”

Asked about a possible US attack on his country, he said: “Perhaps our next missile will hit Washington directly. We can target America from the sea.”

According to Hayat-Moqaddam, the Aerospace Force of the IRGC has been working for 20 years on making it possible to strike America from Iranian ships. Even if we have not yet reached this technology, it remains within our grasp.”

In the same context, he added: “All European countries are in our range. With our existing missiles we can strike France, Germany, the UK, and all of Western and Eastern Europe.”

The E3 — the UK, France and Germany — have warned they are prepared to trigger snapback unless Iran returns to nuclear talks by the end of August, which would restore UN sanctions lifted under the 2015 deal.

On July 21, Iran conducted a suborbital test with the Qased satellite launch vehicle to evaluate new technologies developed by the country's space industry.

The semi-official Tasnim news agency reported that “the results of this test will be used to improve the performance of the country's satellites and space systems.”

The announcement came four days ahead of talks between Iranian and EU officials in Istanbul. Observers said the launch of Qased could be a message for European leaders who fear Iran's space missile program was, for years, a cover for developing an intercontinental ballistic missile.

Last week, the IRGC ordered its forces to maintain a state of readiness against potential aggression.

For its part, Israel on Sunday raised its military and security readiness in anticipation of a confrontation with Iran while the Israeli Army Chief of Staff conducted a test exercise to evaluate readiness to counter a cross-border assault.

Israel is concerned about reports from Western intelligence agencies, mostly those in Europe, saying Tehran and Beijing are cooperating to rebuild Iran’s defensive capabilities after the 12-day war with Israel.

Senior Israeli officials said the Chinese intentions are not entirely clear and that Israel relayed messages to Beijing, the Ynet news website said.

“They said China did not confirm that it would replenish Iran's missile stores, but the matter was of great concern and could have significant strategic implications,” it added.

Meanwhile, Iran’s General Staff of the Armed Forces warned on Saturday that Tehran will deliver a far stronger response to any future attacks by the United States or Israel.

“In the event of any miscalculation or satanic action, what prevented us from wider operations during the 12-day imposed war will no longer apply,” the military warned.

It added: “This time they will face new surprises and far more crushing blows.”



Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
TT

Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)

The Israeli army said it was on "defensive alert" as the United States threatens potential military action against Iran, but insisted there were no changes in its guidelines for the public.

"We are closely monitoring regional developments and are aware of the public discourse concerning Iran. The (Israeli military) is on defensive alert," army spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin said in a video statement published Friday.

"Our eyes are wide open in all directions, and our finger is more than ever on the trigger in response to any change in the operational reality," he added, but emphasized "there is no change in the instructions".


Trump Says Weighing Strike on Iran as Tehran Says Draft Deal Coming Soon

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Trump Says Weighing Strike on Iran as Tehran Says Draft Deal Coming Soon

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)

US President Donald Trump said he was considering a limited strike on Iran after ordering a major naval buildup in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran to cut a deal to curb its nuclear program.

The latest threat came after Iran's foreign minister said a draft proposal for an agreement with Washington would be ready in a matter of days following negotiations between the two sides in Geneva earlier this week.

Trump had suggesting on Thursday that "bad things" would happen if Tehran did not strike a deal within 10 days, which he subsequently extended to 15.

Asked by a reporter on Friday whether he was contemplating a limited military strike, Trump answered: "The most I can say -- I am considering it."

After the talks in Geneva, Tehran said the two sides had agreed to submit drafts of a potential agreement, which Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told US media would be the "next step".

"I believe that in the next two, three days, that would be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, that would be handed over to Steve Witkoff," he said, referring to Trump's main Middle East negotiator.

Araghchi also said US negotiators had not requested that Tehran end its nuclear enrichment program, contradicting statements from American officials.

"We have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment," he said in an interview released Friday by US TV network MS NOW.

"What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran's nuclear program, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever," he added.

His comments stand in contrast to information relayed by high-ranking US officials, including Trump, who has repeatedly said Iran must not be allowed to enrich uranium at any level.

Western countries accuse Tehran of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons, which it denies, though it insists on its right to enrichment for civilian purposes.

Iran, for its part, is seeking to negotiate an end to sanctions that have proven to be a massive drag on its economy.

Economic hardships sparked protests in December that evolved into a nationwide anti-government movement last month, prompting a crackdown from authorities that left thousands dead, rights groups say.

- 'No ultimatum' -

The two foes held an initial round of discussions on February 6 in Oman, the first since previous talks collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war last June, which the US joined by striking Iranian nuclear facilities.

Washington has pursued a major military build-up in the region in tandem with the talks, and both sides have traded threats of military action for weeks.

On Thursday, Trump again suggested the US would attack Iran if it did not make a deal within the timeframe he laid out.

"We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," Trump told the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace", his initiative for the post-war Gaza Strip.

Iran's ambassador to the UN, Amir Saeid Iravani, warned that US bases, facilities and assets would be "legitimate targets" if the United States followed through on its threats.

Araghchi, however, insisted that "there is no ultimatum".

"We only talk with each other how we can have a fast deal. And a fast deal is something that both sides are interested about," he said.

"We are under sanctions, (so) obviously any day that sanctions are terminated sooner it would be better for us," he said, adding Iran had "no reason to delay".

Washington has repeatedly called for zero enrichment, but has also sought to address Iran's ballistic missile program and its support for militant groups in the region -- issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks.

The Israeli army said Friday that it was on "defensive alert" regarding the situation with Iran, but that its guidelines for the public remained unchanged.

Ratcheting up the pressure, Trump has deployed a significant naval force to the region.

After sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, he ordered a second carrier, the Gerald Ford, to depart for the Middle East.

Iranian naval forces also conducted military drills this week in the Gulf and around the strategic Strait of Hormuz in their own show of force.


UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
TT

UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

Britain's foreign minister Yvette Cooper ‌will meet with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday, after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of London for ceding sovereignty of ​the Chagos Islands, which is home to a US-UK air base.
Last year, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed a deal to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius, while keeping control of one - Diego Garcia - through a 99-year lease that preserved US operations at the base, Reuters said.
Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but Trump has since ‌changed his mind ‌several times. In January, Trump described it ​as ‌an ⁠act ​of "great stupidity", ⁠but earlier this month said he understood the deal was the best Starmer could make, before then renewing his criticism this week.
Cooper is meeting Rubio to discuss defense and security issues in Washington as Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran, saying Tehran must make a deal over its nuclear program in the ⁠next 10 to 15 days, or "really bad ‌things" will happen.
The Diego Garcia ‌base has recently been used for ​operations in the Middle East against ‌Yemen's Houthis and in humanitarian aid to Gaza.
Although on Tuesday ‌Rubio's State Department said it backed the Chagos accord, the next day Trump said Britain was making a big mistake.
"DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!" Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, saying the ‌base could be called upon in any future military operation to "eradicate a potential attack" from ⁠Iran.
Under the ⁠conditions for using the joint base, Britain would need to agree in advance to any operations out of Diego Garcia.
On Thursday, Britain's The Times newspaper reported that Trump's latest criticism of the Chagos deal came because Britain was yet to give permission to use the bases for future strikes against Iran, owing to concerns they may breach international law.
Asked about The Times report, Britain's Ministry of Defence said on Thursday it does not comment on operational matters and that Britain supported ​the ongoing political process between ​the US and Iran.