Pentagon Cracks Down on Troops’ Social Media Posts About Charlie Kirk 

People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 
People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 
TT

Pentagon Cracks Down on Troops’ Social Media Posts About Charlie Kirk 

People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 
People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 

The US military is taking swift disciplinary action against US troops over social media posts linked to the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk, carrying out a "zero-tolerance" policy toward those it sees as cheering his death, US officials said.

The Pentagon has not publicly said how many service members have been disciplined so far but one US official told Reuters it was likely in the dozens, as US military leadership pursues a crackdown ordered by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who knew Kirk personally.

Kirk, a 31-year-old conservative media celebrity known for his hard-right rhetoric, was killed by a single rifle shot during an outdoor event last week at Utah Valley University.

The staunch ally of President Donald Trump was not in the US military's chain of command and had no official role in the US government.

But legal experts and US officials say US troops do not have the same free speech rights as private citizens and can be punished for public-facing comments if commanders determine they violate Uniform Code of Military Justice provisions related to "good order and discipline."

"We WILL NOT tolerate those who celebrate or mock the assassination of a fellow American at the Department of War," Sean Parnell, the top Pentagon spokesperson, wrote on X, in comments reposted by Hegseth.

"It's a violation of the oath, it's conduct unbecoming, it's a betrayal of the Americans they've sworn to protect & dangerously incompatible with military service."

Trump has ordered the Department of Defense to rename itself the Department of War, a change that will require action by Congress.

The Army, Marine Corps and Navy did not immediately respond when asked by Reuters whether they had disciplined US troops over such social media posts.

An Air Force spokesperson said: "As commanders verify inappropriate actions, they are taking the necessary administrative and disciplinary actions to hold service members accountable."

CHILLING EFFECT

Three US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said disciplinary actions so far have included relieving service members from their positions and other admonishment. While there were no known cases of people being separated from military service entirely, officials did not rule out that it might happen.

"The problem is they have very little protection," said Rachel VanLandingham, a former Air Force lawyer now at Southwestern Law School.

One US official referred to Article 88 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which he said clearly prohibited "contemptuous words" against any sitting US president, the defense secretary, Congress and other senior officials.

Matthew Lohmeier, an undersecretary of the Air Force, announced over the weekend his intention to prosecute and remove from service an Air Force senior master sergeant in Florida who made comments about Kirk as well as about Trump. He said the airman's entire chain of command should be investigated.

"Men and women who are guilty of this kind of behavior will not serve in uniform," Lohmeier wrote on X.

While the Pentagon may find clear cases of violations of military law during the crackdown, legal experts caution that it is also creating a chilling effect on what would otherwise be permissible speech by US troops, who are increasingly fearful of being seen as opposing the Trump administration.

VanLandingham said she had spoken to an active duty service member who had just combed through 20 years of social media posts, deleting those that have views not currently supported by Trump and his allies.

"The Department of Defense, from the very top, is telling individuals they cannot have certain thoughts," she said, adding that others will likely be "suppressed by threat of punishment."

One US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, acknowledged a chilling effect on what troops were sharing online. But the official also said troops should watch what they do, particularly on public-facing social media - given the current heated political climate.

"Sharing any kind of hot take when publicly identifiable as part of DoD (is) also dumb," the official added.



US Voices Hope on Iran Deal Progress Before Pakistan Army Chief Visit

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

US Voices Hope on Iran Deal Progress Before Pakistan Army Chief Visit

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio voiced hope on Thursday of progress on ending the war with Iran, with mediator Pakistan's army chief due to arrive in Iran for talks.

The expected visit by Field Marshal Asim Munir, a powerful figure with a growing role in Pakistan's foreign relations, comes a day after US President Donald Trump warned that negotiations to end the war were on the "borderline" between a deal and renewed strikes.

"I believe the Pakistanis will be travelling to Tehran today. So hopefully that'll advance this further," Rubio told reporters on Thursday, according to Reuters.

A ceasefire on April 8 halted the war launched weeks earlier by the US and Israel, but negotiation efforts have so far failed to yield a lasting peace agreement.

A war of words has taken the place of open conflict but the impasse continues to weigh on the world economy, leaving everyone from investors to farmers in a painful state of uncertainty.

On Thursday, Iran's ISNA news agency said Munir's visit was aimed at continuing "talks and consultations" with Iranian authorities, without providing details. Other Iranian media carried the same report.

Pakistan hosted in April the only direct negotiations between US and Iranian officials to take place since February 28, the day the war began.

Munir was at the center of the action during that round of talks, greeting both delegations on their arrival and displaying remarkable bonhomie with US Vice President JD Vance.

But the talks ultimately failed, with Iran accusing the US of making "excessive demands".

Since then, the two sides have exchanged multiple proposals, with the threat of renewed war looming all along.

"It's right on the borderline, believe me," Trump told reporters Wednesday. "If we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go."

He said a deal could come "very quickly" or "in a few days", but warned Tehran would have to provide "100 percent good answers".

Rubio also criticized NATO allies for their refusal to help Trump's war against Iran.

"He's not asking them to commit troops. He's not asking them to send their fighter jets in. But they refuse to do anything," he said.

"We were very upset about that."

Tehran's chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday accused Washington of seeking to restart the war, warning of a "forceful response" if Iran were to be attacked.

"The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war," Ghalibaf said.

Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Iran was examining points received from Washington, while repeating Tehran's demands for the release of its assets frozen abroad and an end to a US naval blockade.

Trump is under political pressure at home as energy costs rise.

The ceasefire halted the fighting but has not reopened the Strait of Hormuz, the vital waterway that normally carries about a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas.

The future of Hormuz remains a key sticking point in the negotiations, with fears growing that the global economy will feel more pain as pre-war oil stockpiles run down.

Iran imposed the blockade of Hormuz as part of its retaliation in the war, allowing only a trickle of vessels through in recent weeks while introducing a toll system.


Trump Postpones Signing Order on AI Oversight

US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
TT

Trump Postpones Signing Order on AI Oversight

US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK

US President Donald Trump on Thursday said he had postponed signing an executive order on AI because he "didn't like certain aspects of it."

Trump had planned to sign the order at a ceremony on Thursday afternoon attended by CEOs of AI companies.

The order would create a voluntary framework for AI developers to ⁠engage with the ⁠US government before the public release of covered models, two sources told Reuters on Wednesday.

The president also had planned to direct the US government to use the advanced models to improve the cybersecurity defenses of ⁠government systems, along with networks owned by sectors that are vital to the nation's economy, such as banks and hospitals, according to another source.

Concerns are growing across the US government and in the private sector about the cybersecurity risks posed by powerful new AI systems, including Anthropic’s Mythos.

Anthropic has warned that Mythos could supercharge complex cyberattacks, though cybersecurity experts ⁠told ⁠Reuters that fears of unfettered hacking are overstated.

The president's executive order, if implemented, could hurt the industry's profits if it slows the rollout of new models or prompts companies to change how they perform to address security concerns.

Trump, who spoke to reporters on Thursday in the Oval Office, did not say which parts of the order he didn't like.


Teen Among 3 Dead in Türkiye after Floods, Landslides Hit Southern Province

FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
TT

Teen Among 3 Dead in Türkiye after Floods, Landslides Hit Southern Province

FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)

Three people have died during flooding in southern Türkiye on Thursday, officials said, as the Interior Ministry issued weather warnings for 15 of the country's 81 provinces.

Heavy rainfall in Hatay, the province most affected by a devastating earthquake in 2023, caused the Asi river, also known as the Orontes, to break its banks, submerging fields and villages. Roads and bridges were also washed away, The Associated Press reported.

Among the victims was a 15-year-old boy who died in a house that collapsed during a landslide in Antakya, the provincial capital, Hatay Gov. Mustafa Masatli said.

A 66-year-old man died when his car rolled into a ditch in Defne, while and another man, aged 62, was swept away in floodwaters in the Samandag district.

Masatli said the flooding had caused significant damage to agriculture across 2,900 hectares (7,166 acres) as disaster teams continued to assess the impact. Firefighters rescued many people by boat as residents bailed out their homes and tried to hold the waters at bay with makeshift barriers.