TikTok's Algorithm to be Licensed to US Joint Venture Led by Oracle, Silver Lake

TikTok logo is placed on a US flag in this illustration taken, April 25, 2024. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TikTok logo is placed on a US flag in this illustration taken, April 25, 2024. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

TikTok's Algorithm to be Licensed to US Joint Venture Led by Oracle, Silver Lake

TikTok logo is placed on a US flag in this illustration taken, April 25, 2024. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TikTok logo is placed on a US flag in this illustration taken, April 25, 2024. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Tech giant Oracle will spearhead US oversight of the algorithm and security underlying TikTok's popular video platform under the terms of a deal laid out this week by President Donald Trump's administration.

All the final details still need to be nailed down among several joint venture partners that will include Oracle, investment firm Silver Lake Partners and possibly two billionaires — media mogul Rupert Murdoch and personal computer pioneer Michael Dell. The US administration would not have a stake in the joint venture nor be part of its board, according to a senior White House official, The AP news reported.

President Trump is expected to issue an executive order later this week that declares that the terms of the deal meet the security concerns laid out by the law, the senior White House official said. China still needs to sign off on the framework proposal, and any final deal would still require regulatory approval.

The proposal is aimed at resolving a long-running effort to wrest TikTok's US operations from its Beijing-based parent company, ByteDance, because of national security concerns. TikTok has become a high-profile topic during conversations between Trump and China President Xi Jinping as they continue to spar in a trade war that's roiled the global economy for much of the year.

For now, the two sides are progressing on a framework deal that calls for a consortium of investors, including Oracle and Silver Lake, to take over the US operations of TikTok in a process that might not be completed until early next year under a timeline laid out Monday by the Trump administration. That could mean TikTok's divestment might not be completed until a year after it was supposed to be banned under a law that had bipartisan support but was repeatedly bypassed by Trump.

Under the current terms of the proposal, the new US joint venture would receive a licensed copy of the recommendation algorithm that keeps TikTok users endlessly scrolling through clips on their smartphones. Oracle would review, monitor and secure US data flowing through the service.

American officials have previously warned that ByteDance's algorithm is vulnerable to manipulation by Chinese authorities, who can use it to shape content on the platform in a way that’s difficult to detect.

“It wouldn’t be in compliance if the algorithm is Chinese. There can’t be any shared algorithm with ByteDance,” said a spokesperson for the House Select Committee on China.

The algorithm has been a central issue in the security debate over TikTok. China previously maintained the algorithm must remain under Chinese control by law. But a US regulation passed with bipartisan support said any divestment of TikTok must mean the platform cuts ties — specifically the algorithm — with ByteDance.

Although the details remain sketchy, a Trump administration official said that the licensed copy will be “retrained” with US data to make sure the system is “behaving appropriately."

That makes it unclear if the US version of TikTok will look different from what users are seeing in the rest of the world. Any noticeable changes made to a social media platform's service raises the risk of alienating its audience, said Jasmine Enberg, an analyst for the research firm eMarketer.

“Social media is just as much about the culture as it is the technology, and how users will take to new ownership and potentially a new version of the app is still an open question,” Enberg said.

In a Monday briefing, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the change in control won't change the experience. “TikTok users in the US will be able to see videos posted by users in other countries and vice versa," Leavitt said.

In a prime example of how a change of control can reshape a once-popular social media platform, billionaire Elon Musk triggered an almost immediate backlash after he completed his $44 billion takeover of Twitter nearly three years ago.

But Musk made extremely visible changes, including eventually dropping the Twitter brand and changing its name to X. The changes that gradually occur while different data is fed into the US copy of TikTok's algorithm could be subtle and unnoticeable to most of its audience.

What's clear, for now, is that both Oracle and Silver Lake will be major players in TikTok's future in the US if the deal is finalized by the Trump administration.

Founded nearly 50 years ago, Oracle's success was built on database software that helps manage a wide variety of information crucial to business, and has since expanded into hardware, including data centers that help power artificial intelligence.

Although he no longer runs Oracle as its CEO, company co-founder Larry Ellison remains a top executive while also overseeing an estimated personal fortune of $390 billion. Ellison, 81, now could be in line to become a behind-the-scenes power player in the media, having already helped finance Skydance's recently completed $8 billion merger with Paramount, a deal engineered by his son, David.

Silver Lake has long focused on tech deals, including past buyouts of Dell Computer and the now-defunct video calling service Skype. Michael Dell, who founded Dell Computer, may now be one of investors in the US joint venture overseeing TikTok, according to what Trump told Fox News in a recent interview. Trump also mentioned Murdoch, whose company owns Fox News, as a potential investor in the joint venture.

Other media outlets have reported that another billionaire, venture capitalist Marc Andreessen, is vying to become involved in the investor group. Andreessen was also involved in Silver Lake's 2009 buyout of Skype.

ByteDance is expected to have a 20%, or smaller, stake in the US joint venture, whose board will be controlled by the US investors. ByteDance will be represented by one person on the board, but that individual will be excluded from TikTok’s security committee.



Taiwan’s President Defends US Arms Purchases That Trump Called ‘Bargaining Chip’

20 May 2024, Taiwan, Taipei City: Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te is pictured during his inauguration speech. (dpa)
20 May 2024, Taiwan, Taipei City: Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te is pictured during his inauguration speech. (dpa)
TT

Taiwan’s President Defends US Arms Purchases That Trump Called ‘Bargaining Chip’

20 May 2024, Taiwan, Taipei City: Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te is pictured during his inauguration speech. (dpa)
20 May 2024, Taiwan, Taipei City: Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te is pictured during his inauguration speech. (dpa)

Taiwan’s president on Sunday stressed that arms purchases from the United States are “the most important deterrent” of regional conflict and instability, after President Donald Trump called into question continued US support of Taiwan following his visit to China.

US arms sales to Taiwan and security cooperation between the two sides are not only governed by law but also a catalyst for regional peace and stability, President Lai Ching-te said in a statement.

“We thank President Trump for his continued support for peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait since his first term, including the continuous increase in the scale and amount of arms sales to Taiwan,” he said.

His statement came days after Trump raised doubts over his willingness to continue to sell arms to Taiwan, the island democracy that China claims as its own breakaway province, to be retaken by force if necessary.

The US, like all countries that have formal ties with China, doesn’t recognize Taiwan as a country but has been the island’s strongest backer and arms supplier. Washington is bound by its own laws to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself and sees all threats to the island as a matter of grave concern.

Trump rattles Taiwan with ‘bargaining chip’ comment

Trump already approved in December a record-breaking $11 billion arms package to Taiwan including missiles, drones, artillery systems and military software.

In an interview aired Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to greenlight a new $14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.”

“It’s a very good negotiating chip for us frankly,” he said.

His comments raised concerns on the island, which the Taiwanese government has sought to disperse, noting that the US official policy on Taiwan has not changed.

“Taiwan will not provoke or escalate conflict, but it will also not relinquish its national sovereignty and dignity, or its democratic and free way of life, under pressure,” Lai said in his statement, calling China “the root cause of undermining regional peace and stability and attempting to change the status quo.”

US House Speaker Mike Johnson praised Lai's statement, saying “I thought that was a reasonable thing for the leader there to say.”

Johnson said on Fox News Sunday, “China cannot just go take over land, and we’re going to stand strong and resolute by that. I know the Congress will.”

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said on ABC's “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” on Sunday that the president is “considering how to move forward on” the arms sales to Taiwan, noting previous US presidents had paused sales in the past and Trump will need to weigh many factors.

“When the president makes a decision on national security, it’s really based on American security needs first though,” Greer said.

China has framed Taiwan as “the most important issue in China-US relations” during Chinese President Xi Jinping’s recent talks with Trump.

In one of his strongest statements to date, Xi on Thursday warned Trump of “clashes and even conflicts” if the issue of Taiwan was not handled properly.

China and Taiwan have been governed separately since 1949, when the Communist Party rose to power in Beijing following a civil war. Defeated Nationalist Party forces fled to Taiwan, which later transitioned from martial law to multiparty democracy.


North Korea’s Kim Calls to Make Border with South Korea an ‘Impregnable Fortress’

This picture taken on May 17, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on May 18, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (top C) speaking on key military issues during a meeting of commanding officers of the divisions and brigades of the entire army at the Party Central Committee headquarters in Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)
This picture taken on May 17, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on May 18, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (top C) speaking on key military issues during a meeting of commanding officers of the divisions and brigades of the entire army at the Party Central Committee headquarters in Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)
TT

North Korea’s Kim Calls to Make Border with South Korea an ‘Impregnable Fortress’

This picture taken on May 17, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on May 18, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (top C) speaking on key military issues during a meeting of commanding officers of the divisions and brigades of the entire army at the Party Central Committee headquarters in Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)
This picture taken on May 17, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on May 18, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (top C) speaking on key military issues during a meeting of commanding officers of the divisions and brigades of the entire army at the Party Central Committee headquarters in Pyongyang. (KCNA via KNS / AFP)

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.

Kim's comments on bolstering the military strength on the border to make it an "impregnable fortress" came at a meeting on Sunday of commanders of divisions ‌and brigades across ‌the army, KCNA said.

He called for ‌adjusting ⁠the training system ⁠and expanding practical drills to reflect changes in modern warfare and redefine operational concepts in North Korea's military, according to KCNA.

Kim stressed the need for vigilance against the "arch enemy," a term North Korea has used for South Korea.

The two Koreas are still technically at war after ⁠their 1950-53 conflict ended with an armistice rather ‌than a peace agreement.

South Korea's ‌Unification Ministry said on Monday it appeared to be Kim's ‌first reported meeting with division and brigade commanders since ‌he took power, adding that Seoul would continue to manage military tensions and seek to build trust.

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said on Monday that North Korean troops ‌had stepped up fortification work since March in areas near the land border between ⁠the two ⁠Koreas, including building walls.

Hong Min, a senior research fellow at the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul, said Kim's reference to fortifying the "southern border" suggested Pyongyang may also strengthen its military presence on its maritime boundaries with the South, such as the disputed Northern Limit Line (NLL).

Kim's references to modern warfare and redefining operations "in all spheres" likely reflected lessons Pyongyang has drawn from the war in Ukraine and Middle East conflicts, including the use of drones, precision strikes and electronic warfare, Hong said.


WHO Kicks off Annual Assembly Amid Hantavirus, Ebola Crises

 Delegates attend the 79th World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Delegates attend the 79th World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

WHO Kicks off Annual Assembly Amid Hantavirus, Ebola Crises

 Delegates attend the 79th World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Delegates attend the 79th World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)

World Health Organization member states gather for their annual meeting in Geneva Monday amid concern over deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks and uncertainty over announced US and Argentinian withdrawals.

While the rare hantavirus outbreak on a cruise ship that has gripped global attention is not officially on the agenda, it is expected to feature prominently in the discussions, as is the fresh Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

A diplomatic source, who asked not to be identified, said it would be interesting to see how such outbreaks are used by WHO "to promote other things", including "to pressure (the United States and Argentina) not to go".

The meeting of the WHO's annual decision-making assembly, which runs through Saturday, comes after a difficult year for the organization. It has been weakened by the announced US withdrawal and by funding cuts that have forced it to slash its budget and staff numbers.

"We are stable now and moving forward," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus insisted at the end of April.

Diplomats and observers agreed.

The situation is "still fragile, but they've been successful in mobilizing most of the funds" required for the next two years, Surie Moon, co-director of the Global Health Centre at the Geneva Graduate Institute, told AFP.

And the hantavirus crisis provided "a clear illustration of why the world needs an effective, trusted, impartial, reliably-funded WHO", she added.

- US, Argentina withdrawals -

But significant divisions persist.

Continued disagreement between wealthy and developing nations has for instance blocked progress on the key missing piece of the WHO's landmark 2025 pandemic treaty, with negotiations now expected to be extended for another year.

It also remains unclear what, if anything, would be decided on the US and Argentinian announced withdrawals.

US President Donald Trump, on his first day back in office in January 2025, handed the WHO his country's one-year withdrawal notice, with Argentina soon following suit.

The WHO, whose constitution does not include a withdrawal clause, has not confirmed either withdrawal.

The United States reserved the right to withdraw when it joined the WHO in 1948 on condition of giving one year's notice and meeting its financial obligations in full for that fiscal year.

While the notice period has expired, Washington has still not paid its 2024 or 2025 dues, owing around $260 million.

When WHO's executive board met in January, Israel submitted a resolution to approve Argentina's withdrawal -- something countries are expected to discuss during the assembly -- but not a word was said about the US leaving.

Diplomats and observers indicated there was broad agreement that it would be better to maintain a grey zone around whether the US was effectively out.

"We hope that it will go past quietly on the US," a European diplomat said on condition of anonymity.

- Election campaign -

The assembly will take place as the process towards next year's election of a new WHO chief heats up.

No one has yet declared their candidacy, but announcements are possible this week ahead of the nomination deadline of September 24.

A number of sensitive resolutions are also on the table, including on Ukraine, the Palestinian territories and Iran, which could spark heated debate.

Much of this week's discussions will center on whether to launch a formal reform process for the so-called "global health architecture" -- a mishmash of organizations that do not always work together and often overlap.

"Among the issues to be explored are what is best done at the global and regional levels... and what is a national responsibility?" Helen Clark, co-chair of The Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response and a former New Zealand prime minister, told AFP.

Canadian Health Minister Marjorie Michel told AFP that "this current crisis, with the departure of key players, also allows ... the WHO to re-examine its strategy with its members".

A key focus will be to ensure the process does not see "controversial" issues, such as climate and sexual and reproductive health rights, sacrificed in the context of dwindling international aid funding.

"The objective is to ensure better coordination among health actors, so that no activities or populations are left behind," said a diplomatic source, who asked not to be named.

But Thiru Balasubramaniam of the Knowledge Ecology International NGO, told AFP the WHO had already "scaled down some of their activities, including in terms of sexual and reproductive health".