Geagea to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hezbollah Rejects Any Cooperation, Delays Everything in Lebanon  

Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.
Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.
TT

Geagea to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hezbollah Rejects Any Cooperation, Delays Everything in Lebanon  

Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.
Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea.

Head of the Lebanese Forces party Samir Geagea said resolving the crises in the region will require more time, citing “facts, the sequence of events, and the political stances of various parties, particularly the influential international ones such as the United States.”

In an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat, Geagea stressed that developments over the past two years “are ongoing and will continue until a new order is reached.”

As for Lebanon, he said: “The roadmap was crystal clear in the [President Jospeh Aoun’s] swearing in speech and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam’s ministerial statement. There is no need to waste time. We must put our affairs in order.”

While acknowledging that progress is moving “in the right direction,” he argued that it is happening too slowly, placing the blame squarely on Hezbollah and the remnants of the so-called “Resistance axis.”

Geagea accused Hezbollah of “fiercely opposing government decisions, going so far as to threaten civil war and resort to violence whenever the state insists on building a real state with exclusive control over arms.”

He added: “Their rejection of any cooperation in state-building is what obstructs and delays everything in Lebanon. Delays in disarmament prevent the establishment of a functioning state, block economic recovery, and stall reconstruction.”

Weapons as a domestic power card

Geagea admitted that “it is not easy for a group to surrender its weapons if they serve a political purpose.” Yet, he argued that experience has shown “these arms do not change the balance; they only give Hezbollah extra weight in Lebanese politics.”

He questioned the party’s insistence on keeping its arsenal despite its own acknowledgment of a full withdrawal from south of the Litani River, saying: “If they truly intend to pull out, why hold on to the remaining weapons? The answer is clear: these arms serve as leverage in Lebanon’s internal equation and as a card for Iran to claim influence in the country.”

He praised the Lebanese Army’s plan to enforce exclusive state control of arms but wished “its timeline were shorter.”

The plan, he said, ensures that “south of the Litani will be fully demilitarized, and north of the river, there will be no weapons convoys, no armed men, no rocket fire - any such act will be prosecuted by law, unlike in the past.”

He acknowledged progress, but urged faster implementation “to serve the displaced from 30 to 40 destroyed villages in the South.”

Geagea dismissed claims that disarmament in the South is tied to Israeli withdrawal from occupied points, calling it “misleading.”

He said the government’s August 5 decision on monopoly over weapons and the army’s September 5 plan “make no mention of Israel.”

“Building the Lebanese state is not conditional on what Israel does. In fact, Israel benefits most from the current situation, where Hezbollah keeps its weapons and Israel enjoys full freedom of action in Lebanon’s skies,” he stressed.

Geagea warned that Hezbollah is exploiting the Israeli threat to justify retaining its arsenal: “The greatest protection for Hezbollah and the resistance camp is Israel itself. Whenever there’s a crisis, they invoke Israel to silence people. But the best way to face Israeli danger is to build a real Lebanese state.”

Parliamentary elections

On next year’s parliamentary elections, Geagea ruled out their postponement. “We have held elections under far more difficult circumstances. Constitutional deadlines are untouchable. Whatever the conditions, elections must be held,” he urged.

Moreover, he criticized attempts to tie elections to the current electoral law, which he considers unfair to expatriates. The ultimate decision, he said, rests with parliament.

“This is how democracies function. The disaster is when proposals are blocked from reaching the general assembly,” he added.

Asked if he was hinting at parliament Speaker Nabih Berri’s role in obstructing such proposals, Geagea said he will not jump to any conclusions.

He warned that time is running out: “For two months, subcommittees have debated draft laws with no result. These must be referred to the full parliament for a vote.” He expressed concern that proposals might be blocked because a majority in parliament supports them.

Geagea also ridiculed claims by the “Resistance Axis” that they cannot campaign abroad and that expatriates lack voting freedom. “If the law remains as is, with expatriates electing only six MPs, would that suddenly grant them freedom of choice or allow Hezbollah to campaign? Their real fear is that expatriates vote independently, free from pressure. That is why they want to deny them the right to elect all 128 MPs,” he declared.

He argued that the "resistance camp” is clinging to every clause of the electoral law “because their political position is deteriorating, and even losing a seat or two now has major repercussions.”

The new president and government

Geagea expressed optimism about the president and government’s performance. “We are part of this government, and we see a state being rebuilt, albeit not as quickly as we would like. For the first time in years, Lebanon has a surplus of $1.2 billion, whereas in the past it was borrowing $7-8 billion annually to cover its budget,” he remarked.

He noted ongoing reforms, including banking sector regulation, banking secrecy laws, and a forthcoming financial reorganization law.

“Everything is moving in the right direction, though we are not yet where we want to be. We must accelerate to reach the new Lebanon we dream of,” he urged.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".