Israel Slows Syria Talks Over Joint 'Hostile Campaign' With Türkiye

Israeli troops move inside the buffer zone between Israel and Syria in the Golan Heights (File photo – EPA)
Israeli troops move inside the buffer zone between Israel and Syria in the Golan Heights (File photo – EPA)
TT

Israel Slows Syria Talks Over Joint 'Hostile Campaign' With Türkiye

Israeli troops move inside the buffer zone between Israel and Syria in the Golan Heights (File photo – EPA)
Israeli troops move inside the buffer zone between Israel and Syria in the Golan Heights (File photo – EPA)

Following weeks of talk from Israeli political sources about a potential US-brokered security deal with Syria through direct negotiations, a senior Israeli official said on Wednesday that the pace of the effort had slowed, describing the move as a response to what he called a “joint hostile campaign by Damascus and Ankara against Israel” and their demand for an Israeli withdrawal from the occupied Golan Heights.

According to Israel’s Channel 12, the official said Israel “had expected a breakthrough in the direct negotiations with Damascus in recent months, to the point where both sides believed they were close to signing a security agreement by the end of September.” But, he added, “things changed when Arab media outlets began attacking Israel.”

In separate comments published by the right-wing daily Israel Hayom, which is close to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, another Israeli official expressed frustration over what he called the “Syrian hostile campaign,” saying he sensed “Turkish influence over Damascus’s stance.”

Citing what it described as a “well-informed diplomatic source,” Israel Hayom reported that the Syrian campaign “is being directly supported by Ankara, which is seen as the main patron of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, as part of its quiet confrontation with Israel over influence inside Syria.”

As “evidence” of the Syrian campaign, the paper pointed to recent speeches at the United Nations by Syria’s Permanent Representative Ibrahim Alabi, who sharply criticized Israel during Security Council and General Assembly sessions over the past two months.

Alabi accused Israel of “repeated military provocations, violations of the 1974 Disengagement Agreement, and breaches of Syrian sovereignty.”

He also urged the UN and Security Council to “take decisive measures to stop Israeli aggression against Syrian territory,” and called on Israel to “withdraw from all Syrian lands, including the Golan Heights occupied since 1967, and the areas that have recently witnessed military incursions, and to stop interfering in Syria’s internal affairs.”

Quoting what it described as a particularly defiant remark by Alabi, Israel Hayom said he declared that “the Golan will remain Arab and Syrian, an inseparable part of our sovereign land, and will never be subject to bargaining or concession.”

The senior Israeli official told the paper that Tel Aviv “will not cede even a single centimeter of the Golan, nor withdraw from its military positions inside Syrian territory as long as those positions are essential to Israel’s security.”

He said Israel viewed its hold there as “part of its strategic defense against the Iranian and Hezbollah threat.”

He added that “the Syrian-Turkish move against Israel contradicts the ongoing discussions between Damascus and Tel Aviv over possible security arrangements.”

Analysts said the Israeli stance exposes deep mistrust and raises questions about the country’s intentions in the negotiations, suggesting they may conceal more aggressive goals.

Israel and Syria had engaged in Turkish-mediated talks earlier this year, but the government in Jerusalem has pursued a transactional approach on other regional files — notably its disputes with Türkiye over Cyprus.

Ankara has accused Israel of establishing a Jewish settlement on Greek Cypriot land to serve as a forward base against Turkish interests in the island and the eastern Mediterranean.

Israel has also taken a hard line against any Turkish presence in Gaza, even participation in recovery efforts for the remains of Israeli hostages. A Turkish team of 81 specialists who traveled to Al-Arish and waited for days for Israeli approval to enter Gaza was turned back after permission never came.

Observers say the inclusion of Syria in this escalating dispute is a troubling sign, particularly as Israeli forces continue to strike inside Syrian territory under what they describe as security pretexts.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".