Italy Says It Is Ready to Deepen Defense Cooperation with Saudi Arabia

Italian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Carlo Baldocci. (Meshal al-Qadeer)
Italian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Carlo Baldocci. (Meshal al-Qadeer)
TT

Italy Says It Is Ready to Deepen Defense Cooperation with Saudi Arabia

Italian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Carlo Baldocci. (Meshal al-Qadeer)
Italian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Carlo Baldocci. (Meshal al-Qadeer)

Italy has underlined its readiness to expand defense cooperation with Saudi Arabia in a way that fully aligns with the Kingdom’s Vision 2030, particularly in the localization of military industries and the development of skills and capabilities, revealed Italian Ambassador to Riyadh Carlo Baldocci.

In an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat, Baldocci said Italian companies are already engaged with Saudi partners across several advanced systems, including naval platforms, helicopter technology, cyber-defense and sophisticated surveillance systems.

He stressed that Italy sees growing opportunities in supporting the Kingdom’s plans to build its defense industrial base.

Baldocci credited last year’s meeting in AlUla between Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni as the catalyst for the rapid expansion in bilateral cooperation.

The signing of a strategic partnership agreement during that meeting, he said, has accelerated joint work in sectors such as energy, infrastructure, culture, innovation and defense.

His comments come days before the Saudi-Italian Investment and Business Forum is set to be held in Riyadh next week. The event is expected to attract more than 500 Italian companies aiming to establish sustainable industrial and investment partnerships in the Kingdom.

According to Baldocci, the AlUla agreement has already produced “remarkable progress in record time.” He said that agreements worth over 10 billion euros reflect the depth and seriousness of the new phase of relations.

More importantly, he added, institutional dialogue between the two countries has become more regular and structured, which creates the level of trust necessary for long-term planning.

The ambassador stressed that Italy is fully prepared to support the defense sector goals laid out in Vision 2030. Italian companies, he said, offer internationally recognized expertise in naval systems, helicopter production, electronic and cyber-defense and advanced surveillance technologies.

He highlighted the Italian Industry Days held recently in Riyadh, organized in coordination with the defense ministries of both countries. The event served as a platform for Italian manufacturers to showcase their capabilities and explore practical pathways for collaboration, including joint training, industrial development and localization of production.

Baldocci said both sides are committed to developing these opportunities over time.

The ambassador noted that strengthening coordination between government agencies and the private sector is now essential to advance major bilateral projects.

The upcoming Saudi-Italian forum, scheduled for Nov. 25-26, is as an important milestone that will help transform the strategic partnership into tangible industrial cooperation, joint investment and deeper institutional dialogue through specialized sessions and direct business meetings, he remarked.

He further said Vision 2030 has created an investment environment that aligns strongly with Italy’s industrial strengths, especially in infrastructure, mobility and large-scale development.

He pointed to expanding cooperation in renewable energy, hydrogen production, electricity grid modernization and energy efficiency, noting that Saudi Arabia’s ambition to become a global hub for green hydrogen presents significant opportunities for joint investment, particularly for supplying Europe.

Cooperation is also growing in advanced technologies, with the Kingdom heavily investing in artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, semiconductors and smart-city solutions, areas in which Italy holds competitive capabilities, he went on to say.

Baldocci said Italian exports to Saudi Arabia have risen across nearly all major categories, reaching 6.2 billion euros last year, a 28 percent increase, driven by the Kingdom’s major investments and Italy’s inclusion of Saudi Arabia as a priority market in its National Export Plan.

Improved business conditions and expanding institutional dialogue are helping accelerate trade and investment between both nations, he added.



Etidal, Telegram Remove over 34 Million Extremist Items

The initiative is part of ongoing efforts to counter extremist propaganda and curb its spread across the digital space. SPA
The initiative is part of ongoing efforts to counter extremist propaganda and curb its spread across the digital space. SPA
TT

Etidal, Telegram Remove over 34 Million Extremist Items

The initiative is part of ongoing efforts to counter extremist propaganda and curb its spread across the digital space. SPA
The initiative is part of ongoing efforts to counter extremist propaganda and curb its spread across the digital space. SPA

Joint efforts by the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology (Etidal) and Telegram led to the removal of 34,290,268 items of extremist content and the closure of 1,275 channels used to disseminate and promote such material during the first half of 2026.

The initiative is part of ongoing efforts to counter extremist propaganda and curb its spread across the digital space.

Since the collaboration began in February 2022 through June 30, 2026, a total of 292,597,845 items of extremist content have been removed and 20,362 channels closed.

The continued cooperation underscores the effectiveness of joint efforts by Etidal and Telegram in curbing the spread of extremist propaganda and contributing to a safer digital environment.


Saudi Royal Orders Transform Ehsan Platform into Independent Non-Profit Foundation

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Royal Orders Transform Ehsan Platform into Independent Non-Profit Foundation

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz issued on Thursday a Royal Order to transform the National Platform for Charitable Work (Ehsan) into an independent non-profit foundation under the name "Ehsan Foundation for Charitable Work".

The foundation aims to strengthen charitable work and connect donors with beneficiaries by providing diverse donation opportunities, enabling individuals and companies to donate, and, in coordination with government and private entities, enhancing the efficiency of the non-profit sector in the Kingdom.

Another Royal Order was issued to form the Board of Trustees of the Ehsan Foundation for Charitable Work, chaired by Dr. Majid Al-Kassabi and his deputy Ahmed Al-Rajhi. The membership term is three years that can be renewed.

The board includes Dr. Abdullah bin Sharaf Al-Ghamdi, governor of the General Authority for Awqaf, Eng. Abdulrahman bin Ibrahim bin Abdulrahman Al-Ruwaitea, Adib bin Abdullah bin Hamad Al-Zamil, Princess Nouf bint Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Mohammed Al Abdulrahman, Dr. Abdulrahman bin Abdulmohsen bin Mohammed Al-Khalaf, and Emad bin Abdulqader bin Abdulmohsen Al-Muhaideb.

For more than five years, the Ehsan platform has received support and enabled contributions from all segments of society. As a result, the platform has received more than 440 million donations totaling SAR17 billion, underscoring society's confidence in the platform's role in empowering the Kingdom's charitable sector and its commitment to charitable giving across various fields.

This institutional transformation represents a major step toward achieving the objectives and future aspirations of charitable work in the Kingdom by strengthening the Ehsan Foundation for Charitable Work's ability to promote innovation and develop Ehsan platform services. It will also support programs, services and non-profit donation platforms and contribute to unifying technical and professional efforts in charitable and development work.


Saudi Ambassador Inaugurates 3rd Phase of Lebanese Land Exports to the Kingdom

Part of Thursday’s inauguration ceremony. SPA
Part of Thursday’s inauguration ceremony. SPA
TT

Saudi Ambassador Inaugurates 3rd Phase of Lebanese Land Exports to the Kingdom

Part of Thursday’s inauguration ceremony. SPA
Part of Thursday’s inauguration ceremony. SPA

Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Fahd bin Abdulrahman Al-Dosari inaugurated on Thursday the third phase of Lebanese exports to the Kingdom.

Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman had ordered the resumption of Lebanese exports to the Kingdom.

The exports will pass through the Masnaa border crossing between Lebanon and Syria.

Thursday’s inauguration ceremony was attended by Lebanese Minister of Public Works and Transport Fayez Rasamny, representing the prime minister, along with several government officials.

Rasamny praised the Kingdom’s decision to resume imports of Lebanese products, describing it as a direct support for the national economy and a step that opens new opportunities for Lebanese producers.

The ceremony also included the activation of the scanner at Masnaa. This was followed by an inspection visit to the site designated for the establishment of a new land border crossing center.