Lebanese Army Shows its Efforts in Imposing State Monopoly over Arms, Rules Out Deadline Extension

Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Lebanese Army Shows its Efforts in Imposing State Monopoly over Arms, Rules Out Deadline Extension

Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Members of the army are seen at the entrance of a tunnel in Zibqin. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The Lebanese army presented a field briefing on its work to remove Hezbollah’s weapons south of the Litani River, in an indirect response to Israeli pressure in the media and escalated attacks.

The army said it had completed more than 80% of Operation Shield of the Nation, which is aimed at restricting weapons in the area south of the Litani, and reported full cooperation from residents, without mentioning Hezbollah’s role.

The statement came as the Health Ministry said 335 people had been killed in Israeli attacks since the ceasefire took effect a year ago.

1,308 killed and wounded

The Health Ministry released figures showing casualties from Israeli attacks since the ceasefire was signed, covering the period from November 28, 2024, to November 27, 2025.

It said 335 people were killed and 973 wounded, a total of 1,308.

Army outlines results of weapons plan

In its first public accounting of its operations in the South Litani Sector, headed by Brig. Gen. Nicolas Tabet, the army said it had completed more than 80% of the plan mandated by the government to impose state monopoly over arms.

During a tour for journalists along the Blue Line, Tabet said the army had seized about 230,000 items during survey and inspection operations, including ammunition, tunnels, rocket platforms, rockets and weapons.

Tabet said from the sector headquarters at the Benoit Barakat barracks in Tyre that the army had handled 177 tunnels since the plan began, closed 11 passages along the Litani River, and confiscated 566 rocket launchers.

He said there was no intention to request an extension for the current phase, which is due to end at the end of the year.

Residents cooperate

Tabet said residents were cooperating, without referring to Hezbollah’s involvement. He said Israel had provided no proof to the mechanism overseeing the ceasefire that weapons had been smuggled.

He added that the army had faced no obstacles and that residents were assisting the military and welcoming the presence of the state.

Although information indicates that Hezbollah has not cooperated with the army by providing maps of its military infrastructure and tunnels, the army is proceeding alone.

It has reported cooperation from residents who notify troops when they find any sites or weapons, allowing the army to deal with them, and there have been no confrontations or objections from Hezbollah.

Hundreds of tunnels

Journalists toured one tunnel for fighters in the town of Zibqin that stretches about 100 meters.

An army source told Asharq Al-Awsat there were hundreds of similar tunnels along the border. The tunnel sits between trees on a hill about 50 meters high and contains a room, a kitchen and first aid equipment.

The source said the tunnel, built for personnel, was used for shelter and overnight stays after rocket launches.

10,000 troops south of the Litani

“We are showing media outlets the full details of the army’s plan for the first time, and no one has proven that any weapons were brought into the area south of the Litani,” Tabet said, adding that there was full cooperation from residents.

He said 10,000 soldiers were deployed south of the river despite challenges, and that the army runs 200 positions there. Twenty army posts had been destroyed by Israeli attacks, he added.

30,011 missions

Tabet said Israeli violations continued along the frontier and that the army had carried out 30,011 military missions south of the Litani. He repeated that implementation of the plan had surpassed 80% without obstacles or challenges and said the army was committed to international resolutions.

He stressed that the plan did not include entering homes except in cases of someone being “caught in the act”.

“The homes that were recently struck were civilian, and we were not asked to inspect them. We inspected them after the strikes and confirmed no weapons were inside,” he said.

He added that the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) had withdrawn a number of its assets and naval units and that 640 of its personnel had left Lebanon so far.



Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
TT

Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)

Syrian security forces have arrested a former Assad-era security officer who fled Austria after being sentenced to eight years in prison for abusing detainees and returned to his hometown in southern Syria, state news agency SANA said on Tuesday night.

Lieutenant Colonel Musab Abu Rukba was arrested in the city of Nawa in Daraa province by internal security forces in coordination ⁠with the counter-terrorism ⁠department, SANA said, citing the security forces.

Abu Rukba had been convicted by a Vienna court last month of bodily harm, aggravated coercion and sexual assault against detained opponents of former President Bashar al-Assad while he headed the police’s criminal investigations department in the northern city of Raqqa more than a ⁠decade ago.

He had pleaded not guilty.

Reuters reported on Friday that Abu Rukba had left Austria while challenging his eight-year sentence on appeal and arrived in Nawa in early August, where his family held a reception to celebrate his return.

SANA said on Tuesday that Abu Rukba had entered Syria illegally after fleeing Austria and that authorities had tracked him down in Nawa. He had been referred to the relevant authorities to complete legal procedures ahead of prosecution, it said.

It was ⁠not immediately ⁠clear what charges Abu Rukba could face in Syria or whether Austria had requested his arrest or extradition.

A spokesperson for the Austrian court that convicted him told Reuters at the time that Abu Rukba had not been considered a flight risk before his trial because he had lived in Austria since 2014 and was seeking asylum there with his family.

He was not held in custody during the trial or subjected to other restrictions, and his departure from Austria did not breach Austrian laws or court orders while the appeals process remained underway, the spokesperson said.


Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)

The Israeli military said on Tuesday it had repatriated the remains of Sgt First Class Yehuda Katz, a soldier killed in Lebanon 44 years ago, in a joint operation with the Mossad intelligence agency.

Katz was the last Israeli soldier declared missing in the Sultan Yacoub battle against Syrian forces in eastern Lebanon in 1982.

"His return to Israel was made possible through efforts based on accurate intelligence... that lasted more than four decades," the military said in a statement.

It is not clear where his body was found.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu commended the security forces and said that "for many years, I approved numerous clandestine operations to locate the missing soldiers of Sultan Yacoub. I promised their families that we would never stop working to bring them home."

In a separate statement, President Isaac Herzog said that "the circle that remained an open and bleeding wound from the Battle of Sultan Yacoub is finally closed," and that he had kept a photograph of Yehuda Katz hanging in his office as "a daily reminder of our sacred duty to bring our sons home and leave no one behind".

Katz's remains were brought to Israel and identified at an institute for the identification of fallen soldiers under the military rabbinate, the military said.

Three Israeli soldiers had been missing for decades after the Sultan Yacoub battle. In 2019, the military announced the repatriation of the remains of Sgt First Class Zachariah Baumel, while in May 2025 it said it had recovered the body of Sgt First Class Tzvika Feldman "in the heart of Syria".


Lebanon Mulls Removing Restrictions Against 600,000 Syrians

Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)
Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)
TT

Lebanon Mulls Removing Restrictions Against 600,000 Syrians

Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)
Lebanese soldiers are seen at the Masnaa border crossing with Syria in wake of the collapse of the Syrian regime. (AP file)

Lebanese authorities began reviewing security restrictions against some 600,000 Syrians in the latest move that reflects Beirut’s desire to open a new chapter in relations with Damascus based on clear security and legal foundations.

The restrictions are among the thorniest issues in Lebanon and that emerged during the wave of Syrian displacement sparked by the civil war. The restrictions led to hundreds of thousands of Syrians being barred entry to Lebanon.

Addressing the issue would pave the way for Lebanese-Syrian relations that are based on security coordination and respect for the law.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned that Lebanon’s General Directorate of the General Security has kicked off the legal procedures to lift security restrictions against over 600,000 Syrians that barred their entry to Lebanon for years.

A prominent security source revealed that General Security chief Hassan Choucair has formed a committee that will study the file of Syrians who have security warrants against them that have prevented them from entering Lebanon.

The warrants are tied to residency or entry violations.

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that authorities are now examining the file of every Syrian who has been barred entry to Lebanon over residency violations, such as entering Lebanon illegally or violating residency rules or exceeding the duration of their stay.

The source said the committee has already completed tens of thousands of files.

The General Security will issue a statement upon completion of the procedures. It will inform the Syrian authorities of its results.

The move is not limited to building trust between Beirut and Damascus, but it also aims to crack down on people smuggling across the Lebanese-Syrian border.

The latest procedures will allow Syrians to enter Lebanon with their identification papers or through travel agencies as long as they meet the necessary requirements.

Syrians wishing to work in Lebanon must obtain work and legal residency permits from the General Security.

“Lebanon welcomes anyone who wants to reside on its territory as long as they are doing so legally,” said the source.

“Syria is a sisterly country and organizing the movement of people in and out of both countries benefits them both,” he added.