Arrests in Syria’s Sweida Target Group Plotting ‘Coup’ against Hijri

Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)
Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)
TT

Arrests in Syria’s Sweida Target Group Plotting ‘Coup’ against Hijri

Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)
Sheikh Hikmat al-Hijri with members of the “military council” in Sweida. (File photo)

The arrests carried out by the so-called “national guard” in Syria in the Sweida province on Saturday was aimed at thwarting a “coup” against the policies of Druze leader Hikmat al-Hijri, informed Druze sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Ten people were arrested for allegedly plotting to form a “parallel movement” to Hijri’s own, fueling fears of the eruption of sectarian strife between the Druze themselves, they added.

The “national guard” claimed that it had thwarted a “security breach” planned by people coordinating with the Damascus government, adding that the suspects have been detained.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat on condition of anonymity, local sources said the “national guard” arrested on Saturday individuals who were trying to recruit others to stage a “coup” against Hijri and the guard.

Tensions have already been high in Sweida due to security unrest in recent months.

The detainees have been identified as cleric Sheikh Raed al-Matni, Assem Abou Fakher, Ghandi Abou Fakher, Maher Falhout, Hussam Zeidan, Zeidan Zeidan and Alameddine Zeidan.

Video released by the “national guard” showed Matni being insulted by them with his moustache and beard being shaved, sparking outrage among the community.

The local sources condemned the “national guard’s” actions, saying the Matni and Abou Fakher are renowned Druze families and warning against violent reprisals that may lead to strife.

Meanwhile, the “national guard” said it had uncovered “a heinous plot and major betrayal” involving so-called “agents” who were working in coordination with the Syrian government and foreign parties.

In a statement, it added that the “conspiracy” sought to achieve a “dangerous internal security breach that would pave the way for an attack against our community and territory.”

A “swift and accurate” operation was carried out to detain the “traitors and conspirators,” it stated.

In July, Sweida was the scene of clashes between armed Druze groups on the one hand, and Bedouin and Syrian security forces on the other. Israel intervened militarily allegedly to protect the Druze.

Hijri, one of Syria’s three most senior Druze leaders, has upped his criticism of the Damascus government. He has frequently expressed his gratitude to Israel for supporting the Druze in Syria and has repeatedly called for Sweida’s cession.

His followers have gone so far as to brandish Israeli flags and images of its Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Sweida.

The tensions in the province come in stark contrast to the unprecedented openness by the international community towards Damascus’ new rulers as they seek to rebuild the country and end its international isolation after 13 years of civil war that ended with the ouster of Bashar al-Assad's regime on December 8, 2024.

The local Druze sources questioned Hijri’s continued insistence on his position despite developments that have demonstrated that his dreams of cession are headed nowhere given the rising opposition to it.

Even Israel’s Druze spiritual leader Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif has distanced himself from Hijri, they remarked.



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".