Iranian Prosecutor Denies Trump’s Claim 800 Prisoners Were Spared Execution

This photograph taken during a tour for foreign media shows a media representative walking past the parked buses that were burned at a depot during recent public protests, in Tehran on January 21, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph taken during a tour for foreign media shows a media representative walking past the parked buses that were burned at a depot during recent public protests, in Tehran on January 21, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Iranian Prosecutor Denies Trump’s Claim 800 Prisoners Were Spared Execution

This photograph taken during a tour for foreign media shows a media representative walking past the parked buses that were burned at a depot during recent public protests, in Tehran on January 21, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph taken during a tour for foreign media shows a media representative walking past the parked buses that were burned at a depot during recent public protests, in Tehran on January 21, 2026. (AFP)

Iran’s top prosecutor on Friday called US President Donald Trump’s repeated claims that he halted the hangings of 800 detained protesters there “completely false.” Meanwhile, the overall death toll from a bloody crackdown on nationwide demonstrations rose to at least 5,002, activists said.

Activists fear many more are dead. They struggle to confirm information as the most comprehensive internet blackout in Iran's history has crossed the two-week mark.

Tensions remain high between the United States and Iran as an American aircraft carrier group moves closer to the Middle East, something Trump likened to an “armada” in comments to journalists late Thursday.

Analysts say a military buildup could give Trump the option to carry out strikes, though so far he's avoided that despite repeated warnings to Tehran. The mass execution of prisoners had been one of his red lines for military force — the other being the killing of peaceful demonstrators.

“While President Trump now appears to have backtracked, likely under pressure from regional leaders and cognizant that airstrikes alone would be insufficient to implode the regime, military assets continue to be moved into the region, indicating kinetic action may still happen,” New York-based think tank the Soufan Center said in an analysis Friday.

Prosecutor denies Trump claim

Trump has repeatedly said Iran halted the execution of 800 people detained in the protests, without elaborating on the source of the claim. On Friday, Iran’s top prosecutor Mohammad Movahedi strongly denied that in comments carried by the judiciary’s Mizan news agency.

“This claim is completely false; no such number exists, nor has the judiciary made any such decision,” Movahedi said.

His remarks suggested that Iran’s Foreign Ministry, led by Abbas Araghchi, may have offered that figure to Trump. Araghchi has had a direct line to US envoy Steve Witkoff and conducted multiple rounds of negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program with him.

“We have a separation of powers, the responsibilities of each institution are clearly defined, and we do not, under any circumstances, take instructions from foreign powers,” Movahedi said.

Judiciary officials have called some of those being held “mohareb” — or “enemies of God.” That charge carries the death penalty. It had been used along with others to carry out mass executions in 1988 that reportedly killed at least 5,000 people.

Meanwhile, Mohammad Javad Haji Ali Akbari, the Friday prayer leader in Tehran, mocked Trump as a “yellow-faced, yellow-haired and disgraced man".

“That foolish man has resorted to threatening the nation, especially over what he said about Iran’s leader,” the cleric said in comments aired by Iranian state radio. ”If any harm were to occur, all your interests and bases in the region would become clear and precise targets of Iranian forces.”

Death toll rises 

The latest death toll was given by the US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, which reported that 4,716 of the dead were demonstrators, 203 were government-affiliated, 43 were children and 40 were civilians not taking part in the protests. It added that more than 26,800 people had been detained in a widening arrest campaign by authorities.

The group's figures have been accurate in previous unrest in Iran and rely on a network of activists in Iran to verify deaths. That death toll exceeds that of any other round of protest or unrest in Iran in decades, and recalls the chaos surrounding Iran's 1979 revolution.

Iran’s government offered its first death toll Wednesday, saying 3,117 people were killed. It added that 2,427 of the dead in the demonstrations that began Dec. 28 were civilians and security forces, with the rest being “terrorists.” In the past, Iran’s theocracy has undercounted or not reported fatalities from unrest.

The Associated Press has been unable to independently assess the death toll, in part because of authorities cutting access to the internet and blocking international calls into the country.

US warships on the move 

The American military meanwhile has moved more military assets toward the Mideast, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and associated warships traveling with it from the South China Sea.

A US Navy official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss military movements, said Thursday that the Lincoln strike group is in the Indian Ocean.

Trump said Thursday aboard Air Force One that the US is moving the ships toward Iran “just in case” he wants to take action.

“We have a massive fleet heading in that direction and maybe we won’t have to use it,” Trump said.

Trump also mentioned the multiple rounds of talks that American officials had with Iran over its nuclear program prior to Israel launching a 12-day war against the country in June, which saw US warplanes bomb Iranian nuclear sites. He threatened Iran with military action that would make earlier US strikes against its uranium enrichment sites “look like peanuts.”

“They should have made a deal before we hit them,” Trump said.

The UK Defense Ministry separately said that its joint Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jet squadron with Qatar, 12 Squadron, “deployed to the Gulf for defensive purposes noting regional tensions.”

Iran shows off drones in Israel threat

Iran commemorated “the Day of the Guardian” on Friday, an annual event for its paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, which was key in putting down the nationwide protests.

To mark the day, an Iranian state television channel aired a typically religious talk show Thursday night that instead saw its cleric and prayer singers look at Iranian military drones. They fired up the engines of several of the Shahed drones, one version of which has been used extensively by Russia in its war on Ukraine.

A man identified as a member of the security forces, who wore a surgical mask and sunglasses during the telecast to hide his identity, also made a threat in mangled Hebrew toward Israel, trying to say: “We are closer to you than you think.”



Visiting Iraq, Iran’s Parliament Speaker Hails ‘New Order’ in the Region

 Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)
Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Visiting Iraq, Iran’s Parliament Speaker Hails ‘New Order’ in the Region

 Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)
Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (C) speaks during a press conference at the site where Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), was killed by a US airstrike in 2020, near the airport, upon his arrival in Baghdad on August 19, 2026. (AFP)

Iran's parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday stressed the importance of strengthening the "new order" in the region, on the first stop in a three-day visit to Iraq.

Ghalibaf's trip comes at a time when Iraq is facing American pressure to disarm factions close to Tehran, which wields significant political influence in Iraq.

Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi, who took office three months ago with US backing, has pledged to restrict weapons to the control of the state.

Speaking from the site near Baghdad airport where Iranian Revolutionary Guards Quds Force commander general Qassem Soleimani was killed in a 2020 US strike, Ghalibaf said: "Our trip to Iraq today is aimed at strengthening the new order in the region and accelerating the strengthening of cooperation between all countries in the region without foreign interference."

"Resistance in Iraq is... one of the elements of this country's power. Today, resistance has gone beyond the borders of Iran and Iraq... and has become global," he added.

Ghalibaf is scheduled to meet al-Zaidi later on Wednesday and then hold a meeting with the Coordination Framework, the largest bloc in parliament, made up of Shiite parties with varying degrees of proximity to Tehran.

Iraq has been pulled into the Middle East war, with pro-Iran factions have launching attacks on US interests, which Washington has responded to with deadly strikes. Iran has also shelled positions belonging to Iranian Kurdish opposition groups.

Iraq is facing mounting challenges in maintaining a balance between Iran and the United States, and since the US invasion in 2003 it has been an arena of rivalry between the two powers.

Al-Zaidi has given the armed factions -- some of which belong to the Iran’s so-called “Axis of Resistance” -- until September 30 to hand over their weapons to the state, coinciding with the scheduled end of the mission of the US-led coalition against the ISIS group.

Some of the most powerful factions, however, and those closest to Iran, refuse to cooperate.

On Thursday, Ghalibaf will head to the city of Karbala where he will take part in ceremonies marking 40 days since the funeral of former Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei, who was killed in US-Israeli strikes on February 28.


North Korea Leader’s Sister Says ‘Unaware’ of Reported Kim-Trump Communication

Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, speaks at the National Emergency Prevention General Meeting in Pyongyang, North Korea. (KCNA via KNS/AFP via Getty Images file)
Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, speaks at the National Emergency Prevention General Meeting in Pyongyang, North Korea. (KCNA via KNS/AFP via Getty Images file)
TT

North Korea Leader’s Sister Says ‘Unaware’ of Reported Kim-Trump Communication

Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, speaks at the National Emergency Prevention General Meeting in Pyongyang, North Korea. (KCNA via KNS/AFP via Getty Images file)
Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, speaks at the National Emergency Prevention General Meeting in Pyongyang, North Korea. (KCNA via KNS/AFP via Getty Images file)

The powerful sister of Kim Jong Un said Wednesday she was "unaware" of reported communication between her brother and Donald Trump, after the US president hinted at contact with the North Korean leader, but said ties between the two remained "excellent".

Kim Yo Jong's statement came hours after Washington and Seoul announced their annual exercises would end about a week earlier than planned following an order from Trump to scale them back.

Trump said on Sunday that he had told the Pentagon to curtail the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises -- a day before they started -- citing his "good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Asked on Monday whether Kim had responded to his requests for a conversation, Trump said: "Yeah, he has."

But Kim's sister, Kim Yo Jong, said Wednesday she was unaware of any such contact between her brother and Trump.

"Regarding the recent news from Washington about communication between the leaders of North Korea and the United States, I am completely unaware of it," she said in a statement.

"It is likely the only matter concerning our top leadership's foreign policy that I am unaware of."

Kim Yo Jong nevertheless said her brother still had "good memories and feelings" about Trump and that the relationship between the two leaders remains "excellent".

Earlier Wednesday, Seoul's military said the drills would wrap up on Friday, not on August 27 as originally planned.

"We have decided to adjust the UFS exercise period to run from the 17th to the 21st," South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.

The decision was made "at the suggestion of the US side", it added.

The Pentagon said the "substantially reduced" drills would "preserve essential readiness and... (cause) no degradation to US training objectives".

The exercises are designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea.

They were understood to consist of two phases: the first, focused on defending against potential North Korean threats, was due to run until Friday; and the second, focused on a counteroffensive, from August 24 to 27.

The second phase is now understood to have been scrapped.

Kim Yo Jong, however, dismissed the reduction, saying: "We do not consider it worth commenting on and find it completely uninteresting."

She said reducing the scale or duration of the exercise did not change their "provocative and aggressive" character.

Nuclear-armed North Korea has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.

Wednesday's early morning commentary by the state-run Korean Central News Agency said they pose "the most immediate and open threat" to North Korea and "regional security".

That commentary did not mention Trump's order or his desire to resume talks with Kim, with whom he has hinted at being in contact.

- 'Much safer' -

In the initial announcement on his Truth Social platform, Trump described the drills as unfriendly towards a country that had been respectful to him.

South Korea's Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told lawmakers on Wednesday that Seoul had not been informed in advance of Trump's plan to downsize them.

"Neither our government nor US government officials knew in advance what President Trump revealed via Truth Social," Cho said.

Trump has insisted that he is making the situation "much safer" through his ties with Kim.

"There has been persistent speculation that Washington could seek renewed talks with Pyongyang ahead of the November US midterm elections," Yang Moo-jin, former president of the University of North Korean Studies, told AFP.

"For Trump, a meeting with... Kim Jong Un could offer a chance to secure a foreign-policy legacy."

The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday, citing unnamed US officials, that Trump is pushing aides to set up a meeting with Kim as soon as this autumn.

"Reducing exercises could have a positive impact on the possibility of US-North Korea dialogue," Park Won-gon, a professor at Ewha Womans University, told AFP.

"The suspension of joint exercises has always been a prerequisite for North Korea to engage in dialogue with the US," he added.

Trump and Kim met three times in his first spell in the White House, but they have not held talks during his second term.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country's defenses, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.

Trump has repeatedly criticized longstanding US alliances, casting doubt on Washington's commitment to security in East Asia and alarming regional partners.


Brazilian Police Say at Least 23 Killed in Minibus and Truck Crash

An ambulance arrives at the 28 de Agosto, in Manaus, Brazil, April 16, 2020. REUTERS/Bruno Kelly
An ambulance arrives at the 28 de Agosto, in Manaus, Brazil, April 16, 2020. REUTERS/Bruno Kelly
TT

Brazilian Police Say at Least 23 Killed in Minibus and Truck Crash

An ambulance arrives at the 28 de Agosto, in Manaus, Brazil, April 16, 2020. REUTERS/Bruno Kelly
An ambulance arrives at the 28 de Agosto, in Manaus, Brazil, April 16, 2020. REUTERS/Bruno Kelly

A minibus and a truck collided head-on in the southern Brazilian state of Parana, killing at least 23 people and injuring five others early Wednesday, police said. 

Both vehicles were traveling in opposite directions, authorities said. Preliminary evidence suggests that the truck, which wasn’t carrying any cargo, crossed into incoming traffic and collided with the minibus at around 3:30 a.m., Brazil’s traffic police said. 

The crash happened on a highway near Ipiranga, a city of 14,000 residents in central Parana state and 560 kilometers (350 miles) south of Sao Paulo. 

The minibus passengers included healthcare workers, patients and a few family members, authorities said. The death toll included 21 adults and two children. 

Emergency teams and local police were still working at the site hours later.  

Footage from TV Globo shows the truck parked on grass on the side of the road and the crushed minibus, with shattered glass and belongings of the passengers strewn on the ground.