Trump Says US Talks with Iran ‘Very Good,’ More Negotiations Expected

US President Donald Trump gaggles with reporters while aboard Air Force One on February 6, 2026 en route to Palm Beach, Florida. (Getty Images via AFP)
US President Donald Trump gaggles with reporters while aboard Air Force One on February 6, 2026 en route to Palm Beach, Florida. (Getty Images via AFP)
TT

Trump Says US Talks with Iran ‘Very Good,’ More Negotiations Expected

US President Donald Trump gaggles with reporters while aboard Air Force One on February 6, 2026 en route to Palm Beach, Florida. (Getty Images via AFP)
US President Donald Trump gaggles with reporters while aboard Air Force One on February 6, 2026 en route to Palm Beach, Florida. (Getty Images via AFP)

US President Donald Trump said Friday Washington held "very good talks" on Iran after the two sides held an indirect dialogue in Oman.

Iran for its part said it expected to hold more negotiations with the United States, hailing a "positive atmosphere" during a day of talks in the Gulf sultanate.

With an American naval group led by an aircraft carrier in Middle Eastern waters, US and Iranian delegations held talks in Muscat mediated by Oman without publicly meeting face-to-face.

Shortly after the talks concluded, the US announced new sanctions against shipping entities and vessels, aimed at curbing Iran's oil exports. But it was not clear if the move was linked to the talks.

The talks were the first between the two foes since the United States joined Israel's war with Iran in June with strikes on nuclear sites.

"We likewise had very good talks on Iran," Trump told reporters on board Air Force One en route to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, adding, "we're going to meet again early next week."

However, as Iran warned against further threats after Washington raised the specter of new military action, Trump said: "If they don't make a deal, the consequences are very steep."

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who led Iran's delegation in Muscat, said talks "focused exclusively" on the Iranian nuclear program, which the West believes is aimed at making an atomic bomb but Tehran insists is peaceful.

The US delegation, led by Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump's influential son-in-law Jared Kushner, had also wanted Tehran's backing for militant groups, its ballistic missile program and treatment of protesters on the agenda.

"In a very positive atmosphere, our arguments were exchanged and the views of the other side were shared with us," Araghchi told Iranian state TV, adding that the two sides had "agreed to continue negotiations."

Speaking to the official IRNA news agency, Araghchi expressed hope that Washington would refrain from "threats and pressure" so that "the talks can continue."

- 'Destabilizing power' -

Admiral Brad Cooper, the commander of US Central Command, was present at the talks, according to images published by the Oman News Agency.

Multiple sessions of talks in the morning and afternoon saw both sides shuttling to and from the residence of Omani Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi.

The foreign ministry of US ally Qatar expressed hope the talks would "lead to a comprehensive agreement that serves the interests of both parties and enhances security and stability in the region."

The White House has made clear it wants the talks to rein in Tehran's ability to make a nuclear bomb, an ambition the country has always denied.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said on Friday that Iran should stop being a "destabilizing power," citing its nuclear program and support for "terrorist" groups.

Barrot also called on "groups supported by Iran" to exert "the utmost restraint" in the event of any military escalation involving Iran.

- 'Maximum pressure' -

Trump initially threatened military action against Tehran over its crackdown on protesters last month, which rights groups say killed thousands, and even told demonstrators "help is on its way."

Regional powers urged the United States not to intervene, calling on Washington and Tehran to instead return to talks.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said Friday it has confirmed 6,505 protesters were killed, as well as 214 members of the security forces and 61 bystanders.

Those numbers are expected to climb because the magnitude of the crackdown has masked by the blanket internet shutdown imposed by the authorities for a fortnight, rights groups say.

Almost 51,000 people are also confirmed to have been arrested amid "the growing use of forced confessions," according to HRANA.

Yet Trump's rhetoric in recent days has focused on reining in the Iranian nuclear program and the US has maneuvered a naval group led by aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln into the region.

Iran has repeatedly vowed it will hit back at US bases in the region if attacked.

The new sanctions to curb Iran's oil exports come with Trump "committed to driving down the Iranian regime's illicit oil and petrochemical exports under the administration's maximum pressure campaign," State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott said in a statement.



Int'l Outrage over Israeli Minister's Treatment of Gaza Flotilla Activists

Israel's Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir in the Israeli parliament, during a session considering a bill to dissolve the government in Jerusalem, Wednesday, May 20,2026. (AP)
Israel's Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir in the Israeli parliament, during a session considering a bill to dissolve the government in Jerusalem, Wednesday, May 20,2026. (AP)
TT

Int'l Outrage over Israeli Minister's Treatment of Gaza Flotilla Activists

Israel's Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir in the Israeli parliament, during a session considering a bill to dissolve the government in Jerusalem, Wednesday, May 20,2026. (AP)
Israel's Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir in the Israeli parliament, during a session considering a bill to dissolve the government in Jerusalem, Wednesday, May 20,2026. (AP)

Türkiye on Wednesday slammed the Israeli government after its National Security Minister, Itamar ‌Ben-Gvir, posted a video showing activists on an intercepted Gaza-bound flotilla kneeling and with their hands tied. 

The foreign ministry in Ankara said far-right minister Ben-Gvir "has once again openly demonstrated to the world the violent and barbaric mentality of the Netanyahu government". 

Nations condemned ‌Ben-Gvir's treatment of the activists. 

France said it had summoned the Israeli ambassador over Ben-Gvir's "unacceptable actions".

"I have requested that the Israeli ambassador to France be summoned to express our indignation and obtain an explanation," French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot on X.

The Netherlands will also summon Israel's ambassador to address the "unacceptable" treatment, Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen said ⁠on Wednesday.

"The images ‌shared ‌by extremist Minister ‌Ben-Gvir of detained ‌flotilla activists are shocking and unacceptable," Berendsen said in a ‌post on X.

"This treatment of ⁠detainees ⁠violates basic human dignity. I raised this directly with my Israeli colleague Gideon Saar and will summon the Israeli ambassador."

The activists were aboard a flotilla that was intercepted by Israeli forces in international waters on Tuesday and later taken to an Israeli port. 

Canada will summon the Israeli ambassador to protest the treatment of the activists, Foreign Minister Anita ‌Anand said ‌on Wednesday. 

"What ‌we've ⁠seen, including the ⁠video shared by Itamar Ben-Gvir, is deeply troubling and absolutely unacceptable," she told reporters ⁠on a conference ‌call. "This ‌is a matter ‌we take very, very ‌seriously. It's a matter of humane treatment of civilians, and I ‌can assure you that we are ⁠acting ⁠with absolute urgency." 

Irish foreign minister Helen McEntee said she was "appalled and shocked" by the video of the activists, who include 15 Irish citizens. 

McEntee demanded the immediate release of the "illegally detained" activists. Among the detainees is the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly. 

Spain's top diplomat condemned Israel's "monstrous" treatment of the activists.

"That treatment is monstrous, disgraceful and inhumane," Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares said in Berlin in a recording shared with the media, adding that Israel's charge d'affaires in Madrid had been summoned in protest.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni slammed Ben-Gvir's behavior as "unacceptable" and called for the immediate release of any detained Italian citizens and demanded an apology from Israel. 

"It is intolerable that these protesters, among whom there are many Italian citizens, are subjected to this treatment, which violates human dignity," Meloni said in a statement. 

"It is good to hear many Israeli voices -- including the foreign minister -- call out in all clarity Minister Ben Gvir's treatment of the detainees for what it is: wholly unacceptable and incompatible with the basic values of our countries," Germany's ambassador to Israel Steffen Seibert wrote on X.

"The conduct of the Israeli Minister of National Security, which targeted citizens participating in the "Global Sumud Flotilla," is unacceptable and absolutely condemnable," Greece's foreign ministry said in a statement. 

The statement called on Israel to "immediately release" detained Greek citizens and said a formal protest had been lodged at the instruction of Foreign Minister Giorgos Gerapetritis. 

British foreign minister Yvette Cooper said ​she was "truly appalled" by Ben-Gvir's video.

In ‌a statement ‌on ⁠X, Cooper said ⁠Britain was in contact with the families of several British nationals involved and was providing consular support. 

"We ⁠have demanded an ‌explanation ‌from the Israeli authorities and ‌made clear their ‌obligations to protect the rights of our citizens and all those involved," Cooper ‌said. 

- 'Welcome to Israel' - 

The video, shared on X by Ben-Gvir, was published after Israeli forces intercepted the flotilla's vessels at sea and began detaining hundreds of foreign activists at the southern port of Ashdod. 

The video drew swift condemnation, while Ben-Gvir himself was criticized by Israel's own foreign minister and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. 

Captioned "Welcome to Israel", the footage shows dozens of activists on the deck of a military boat kneeling with their hands tied and foreheads on the ground with the Israeli national anthem playing in the background. 

The footage also shows Ben-Gvir heckling and waving an Israeli flag amongst the detained activists. 

Ben-Gvir also drew the ire of PM Netanyahu, who said the minister's dealing with the activists was "not in line with Israel's values and norms." 

"I have instructed the relevant authorities to deport the provocateurs (activists) as soon as possible," Netanyahu said in a statement. 

FM Saar also criticized Ben-Gvir on X, saying he had "knowingly caused harm to our State in this disgraceful display -- and not for the first time." 

- 'Abuse and humiliation' - 

But Ben-Gvir hit back at Saar. 

"I am proud to be the minister in charge of the organizations that operated today against those supporters of terror," he said in parliament. 

"Yes, there will be all sorts of pictures that Gideon Saar does not like, but I think they are a great source of pride." 

Around 50 vessels under the Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Türkiye last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of Gaza, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month. 

The Israeli authorities had said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while the Adalah rights group said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there. 

Hamas, which controls under half of Gaza and whose attack on Israel on October 7, 2023 sparked the war in the Palestinian territory, said the footage was evidence of Israeli leaders' "moral depravity and sadism". 

Adalah also criticized Israeli authorities over the video. 

"Israel is employing a criminal policy of abuse and humiliation against activists seeking to confront Israel's ongoing crimes against the Palestinian people," Adalah, whose lawyers went to the detention center to meet the detainees, said in a statement. 

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said. 

Israel's foreign ministry had dismissed the flotilla as a publicity stunt serving Hamas. 

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday. 

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added. 

- 'Malicious scheme' - 

Netanyahu had earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza". 

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception, while Indonesia has called for the release of all vessels and crew. 

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007. 

During the Gaza war, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely. 

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe. 

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported. 


Iran Chief Negotiator Ghalibaf Says US ‘Seeks to Start New War’

In this handout picture provided by the Islamic Consultative Assembly News Agency (ICANA), Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, dressed in an IRGC uniform, chairs a session in Tehran on February 1, 2026. (ICANA / AFP)
In this handout picture provided by the Islamic Consultative Assembly News Agency (ICANA), Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, dressed in an IRGC uniform, chairs a session in Tehran on February 1, 2026. (ICANA / AFP)
TT

Iran Chief Negotiator Ghalibaf Says US ‘Seeks to Start New War’

In this handout picture provided by the Islamic Consultative Assembly News Agency (ICANA), Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, dressed in an IRGC uniform, chairs a session in Tehran on February 1, 2026. (ICANA / AFP)
In this handout picture provided by the Islamic Consultative Assembly News Agency (ICANA), Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, dressed in an IRGC uniform, chairs a session in Tehran on February 1, 2026. (ICANA / AFP)

Iran's chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday said the United States was seeking to restart the war and hoping Tehran would surrender.

"The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war," Ghalibaf said in an audio message on his official website.

Ghalibaf's remarks came as Tehran and Washington escalated threats while swapping proposals to end the war, which broke out on February 28. A ceasefire has been in place since April 8.

On Wednesday, Iran's Revolutionary Guards warned that the war would expand beyond the region if the US and Israel resume attacks after President Donald Trump said he would strike again unless Tehran agreed a peace deal.

Ghalibaf said the US was still hoping Iran would surrender and respond favorably to Washington's "excessive demands", by maintaining economic pressure and a naval blockade in place since April 13.

"We must strengthen our preparations for an effective and forceful response to any potential attacks," he said, adding that "Iran will never give in to intimidation, under any circumstances".

Ghalibaf acknowledged the economic pressure on Iranians, while appealing for "national unity".

"Today it is clearer than ever that we are engaged in a war of wills. Whoever wins this war will write Iran's history and determine its future," he said.


Israel Army Chief Says Military on ‘Highest Alert’ as Threats Over Iran War Escalate

Israel's Iron Dome defense system intercepts rockets over its airspace, Nov. 5, 2023. (Getty Images)
Israel's Iron Dome defense system intercepts rockets over its airspace, Nov. 5, 2023. (Getty Images)
TT

Israel Army Chief Says Military on ‘Highest Alert’ as Threats Over Iran War Escalate

Israel's Iron Dome defense system intercepts rockets over its airspace, Nov. 5, 2023. (Getty Images)
Israel's Iron Dome defense system intercepts rockets over its airspace, Nov. 5, 2023. (Getty Images)

Israel's army chief Lieutenant Colonel Eyal Zamir on Wednesday said the military was at its highest alert level, as Tehran and Washington traded threats of war.

"At this moment, the military is on the highest level of alert and prepared for any development," Zamir said at a meeting of all division commanders, according to a statement issued by the military.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards had earlier warned that the war would expand beyond the region if the US and Israel resumed attacks, after President Donald Trump said he would strike again unless Tehran agreed a peace deal.