Hamas Denies Israeli Claims of Rocket System Moves

A woman carrying a child walks through mud between tents housing people displaced by war at the Bureij camp for Palestinian refugees in the central Gaza Strip on February 24, 2026. (Photo by Eyad Baba / AFP)
A woman carrying a child walks through mud between tents housing people displaced by war at the Bureij camp for Palestinian refugees in the central Gaza Strip on February 24, 2026. (Photo by Eyad Baba / AFP)
TT

Hamas Denies Israeli Claims of Rocket System Moves

A woman carrying a child walks through mud between tents housing people displaced by war at the Bureij camp for Palestinian refugees in the central Gaza Strip on February 24, 2026. (Photo by Eyad Baba / AFP)
A woman carrying a child walks through mud between tents housing people displaced by war at the Bureij camp for Palestinian refugees in the central Gaza Strip on February 24, 2026. (Photo by Eyad Baba / AFP)

The Hamas movement denied an Israeli media report alleging it had taken steps to reactivate its rocket system, calling the claims a “pretext” Israel was promoting to justify a return to war and the occupation of the Gaza Strip.

The Israeli Public Broadcasting Corporation said on Monday that vital materials had been smuggled into Gaza to operate Hamas’s rocket system, including hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB), a key component of solid rocket fuel that significantly boosts missile range and stability.

Hamas sources told Asharq Al-Awsat the allegations were “completely untrue,” noting that Israeli naval forces control all access points along Gaza’s coastline. They dismissed the report as “media fabrications.”

The sources said Palestinian armed wings have the right to possess weapons for self-defense, but described Israeli claims of smuggling explosive materials for solid rocket fuel as “baseless accusations” aimed at securing a green light for new strikes in the enclave.

They warned that Israeli security bodies were circulating such claims to the media as a “pretext for launching severe attacks inside the Strip.”

Asked whether the armed wing had resumed rocket production or rebuilt its military infrastructure, the sources declined to confirm or deny, saying only that “the resistance has the right to retain all its weapons to confront any new aggression.”

‘State of defense’

Days earlier, Israel’s Channel 14 cited an Israeli security source as saying Hamas could rebuild tunnels faster than the Israeli military could detect and destroy them, and that it retained vast financial resources and an advanced logistical network to safeguard key strategic assets.

The source said significant infrastructure in northern Gaza had not been reached by Israeli forces, despite the destruction of more than 40 tunnels over the past two months.

Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said around 350 km of tunnels in Gaza remained intact — a figure Channel 14 described as “astronomical,” saying achieving that objective would take considerable time, particularly without fully occupying the Strip.

Hamas sources said most tunnels were destroyed during the war, though some were damaged and partially intact. They said the bodies of Israeli hostages were recovered from some tunnels after the war ended, but declined to say whether any had since been rehabilitated.

On the ground, Hamas is reinforcing its civilian control and retains authority over government operations in Gaza, including the security apparatus. Militarily, it has not publicly signaled any renewed activity by its armed wing.

Movement sources said the leadership is focused on administrative and organizational restructuring, while preparing contingency plans to confront any renewed Israeli assault amid repeated threats to resume fighting. They said the armed wing would remain in a defensive posture alongside other Palestinian factions if Israel returns to war, a scenario they said the various brigades do not seek.

 

Displaced Palestinians gather for an Iftar meal amid the rubble of destroyed buildings at the Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip, during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan, on February 23, 2026. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

Occupation threat raised

Israel insists Hamas must surrender all its weapons, light and heavy, even in stages, according to leaks about a related US document.

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, a member of the security cabinet, said the next phase would include “an official ultimatum” demanding Hamas hand over its weapons, headquarters and tunnels.

Failure to comply would grant Israel the right to take direct military action to achieve its objectives, he said, signaling the possibility of occupying parts of Gaza.

In remarks to the Israeli Public Broadcasting Corporation on Monday, Smotrich reaffirmed that Israel has not abandoned its goal of eliminating Hamas, but is giving US President Donald Trump the opportunity to implement this in his own way.

Hazem Qassem, a Hamas spokesperson, said Smotrich’s threat to resume fighting showed “disregard” for arrangements to end the war, accusing Israel of failing to meet its commitments in the first and second phases of the ceasefire agreement since it took effect in October last year.



Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
TT

Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)

Lebanon's civil defense agency said early on Sunday its regional facility in the southern city of Nabatieh had been destroyed by an Israeli strike.

The Directorate General of Civil Defense said the building had collapsed and a large number of vehicles and equipment had been damaged by a "direct hit in a hostile Israeli strike".

It added there were no reports of casualties among its personnel, who had been moved to another location before the incident, said AFP.

The civil defense agency condemned "this attack on a center dedicated to humanitarian and relief work", stressing that it was facing "growing risks and challenges" in carrying out its operations.

Israeli strikes in Lebanon have continued despite a truce that came into effect on April 17, with Israel saying it is targeting Iran-backed Hezbollah.

Lebanon's health ministry has recorded the deaths of 123 rescuers and health workers in Israeli strikes since the country was drawn into the wider regional war on March 2 when Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel in retaliation for the death of Iran's supreme leader in US-Israeli strikes.


Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.