Syrian Interior Ministry: Conditions in Al-Hol Camp ‘Shocking’

Al-Hol camp in Hasakah province, northeastern Syria, on Feb. 24, after Syrian authorities closed the camp, which had been under Kurdish control (AFP)
Al-Hol camp in Hasakah province, northeastern Syria, on Feb. 24, after Syrian authorities closed the camp, which had been under Kurdish control (AFP)
TT

Syrian Interior Ministry: Conditions in Al-Hol Camp ‘Shocking’

Al-Hol camp in Hasakah province, northeastern Syria, on Feb. 24, after Syrian authorities closed the camp, which had been under Kurdish control (AFP)
Al-Hol camp in Hasakah province, northeastern Syria, on Feb. 24, after Syrian authorities closed the camp, which had been under Kurdish control (AFP)

Interior Ministry spokesperson Noureddine al-Baba said Syrian forces were surprised by the withdrawal of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) from Al-Hol camp more than six hours before the Syrian army arrived to assume control.

Al-Hol, the largest camp for relatives of suspected ISIS militants in northeastern Syria, had been under the control of the SDF. But last month, Syrian troops drove Kurdish forces from swathes of the north, sparking questions over the fate of the ISIS prisoners and their families.

Al-Baba noted that much of what has been reported about Al-Hol camp requires careful verification due to what he described as “exaggerations.” He confirmed that a number of those who had fled the camp were returned and had their legal status regularized.

His remarks came as the Interior Ministry announced the launch of two security operations against ISIS cells in the provinces of Raqqa and Deir Ezzor, following several attacks by the group on Syrian forces.

Security Plan in Hasakah

At a press conference, al-Baba said the ministry had prepared a comprehensive security deployment plan to secure Hasakah province, coinciding with the entry of Syrian army units last month.

The move was part of the implementation of an agreement between the Syrian government and the SDF aimed at ensuring stability and enforcing the terms of their understanding.

However, shortly before Syrian army units reached the outskirts of Al-Hol camp, “we were surprised” by what he described as an uncoordinated SDF withdrawal more than six hours earlier.

Al-Baba said the ministry followed up on the cases of those who left the camp in an unorganized manner, adding that most had been returned and their legal status settled. The families have been transferred to an alternative site offering improved humanitarian conditions and easier access.

He added that coordination is ongoing with relevant international and local organizations to verify the identities of individuals who lost documentation, determine where the documents were lost, and match records with civil registries. Work is also underway to establish a unified national database covering all of Syria.

European Concerns

A memo, sent from the Cyprus presidency of the Council of the European Union to member states and dated February 23, said the status of third-country nationals who had fled Al-Hol remained unclear and that it was reported that a majority of them had escaped.

"This raises concerns about how terrorist groups might seek to capitalize on the current situation to increase recruitment efforts among escapees," said the memo, which was reviewed by Reuters.

Earlier, Human Rights Watch cautioned that the security vacuum had allowed suspected ISIS affiliates to escape, exposing women and children to serious risks, including trafficking, exploitation, and recruitment by armed groups.

“Children, Women and the Elderly”

Al-Baba described conditions inside the camp upon its handover as “shocking and resembling a forced detention camp,” where thousands of people had been held for years under harsh conditions in a semi-desert area lacking basic infrastructure.

He said that 70 percent of detainees were children, women and elderly people, most of them Syrians and Iraqis. “They are civilians displaced from areas of fighting and were forcibly detained on the pretext of affiliation with ISIS,” he stated.

Al-Baba added that around 6,500 detainees from 44 non-Syrian nationalities were being held at the camp, noting discrepancies between commonly circulated figures and the actual numbers.

He stressed that all information circulated about the camp requires thorough investigation and verification due to what he described as exaggerations regarding the number of residents. Accurate figures and data, he said, will be disclosed once the verification process is completed.

Background on Al-Hol

Al-Hol camp, located in Hasakah province near the Iraqi border, has been one of the main detention centers for families of ISIS fighters captured during the US-led international coalition campaign against the group in Syria.

The camp had been under SDF control from 2015 until January 20 of this year, when it was handed over to the Syrian government following its takeover of most areas in eastern and northern Syria.

Al-Baba said that from the first moment of assuming control, the Syrian government has been working to address the humanitarian situation, restore security, and prevent disorder.

He revealed that more than 138 breaches were recorded along the 17-kilometer section of the perimeter fence, adding that it will now be placed under the supervision of the relevant authorities.



Kushner to Hold Talks with Netanyahu after Rare Meeting with Hamas

TT

Kushner to Hold Talks with Netanyahu after Rare Meeting with Hamas

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to meet Donald Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner on Monday, a day after he held a rare meeting with Hamas officials in Cairo, in a bid to push forward the US president's Gaza peace plan.

A diplomatic source said Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya was present at some of the meetings ‌that mediators held ‌with Kushner and Trump's Board ‌of ⁠Peace envoy for ⁠Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, in Cairo on Sunday, said Reuters.

It marks Kushner’s second known meeting with representatives of Hamas, the Palestinian militant group designated a terrorist movement by the United States.

Kushner previously met Hamas officials alongside US envoy Steve ⁠Witkoff in October 2025, helping clinch ‌a deal that ‌led to a ceasefire in Gaza and the ‌release of remaining hostages seized by Hamas in ‌the October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel.

Trump said in late July a deal was reached for the complete disarmament of Hamas and other ‌armed groups in Gaza.

But Netanyahu, who is seeking re-election at ⁠a ⁠vote due in October, has publicly rejected Trump's plan.

Trump had said the deal would be carried out in phases, with Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza as disarmament proceeded and an International Stabilization Force working with a new Palestinian police force to secure the enclave.

Hamas has said it agreed to the plan but the deal's implementation would depend on Israel first meeting its own commitments, including withdrawal and halting attacks.


Al-Burhan’s Agreement to Conditional Dialogue Sparks Debate in Sudan

 Chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council and Commander of the Sudanese Army Abdel Fattah al-Burhan delivers a speech at the presidential palace in Khartoum. (SUNA)
Chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council and Commander of the Sudanese Army Abdel Fattah al-Burhan delivers a speech at the presidential palace in Khartoum. (SUNA)
TT

Al-Burhan’s Agreement to Conditional Dialogue Sparks Debate in Sudan

 Chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council and Commander of the Sudanese Army Abdel Fattah al-Burhan delivers a speech at the presidential palace in Khartoum. (SUNA)
Chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council and Commander of the Sudanese Army Abdel Fattah al-Burhan delivers a speech at the presidential palace in Khartoum. (SUNA)

The agreement by Chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council and Commander of the Sudanese Army Abdel Fattah al-Burhan to launch intra-Sudanese dialogue has sparked debate among political forces in the war-torn country.

The questions raised went beyond whether to take part or boycott, but to whether political dialogue held during war can stop the fighting and unify the country, or will it just be confined to regions held by the army.

Burhan declared last week that he was agreeing to an initiative to form an independent national mechanism that would prepare “comprehensive dialogue”. He vowed to provide legal, security, political and logistic guarantees for the participants, saying no foreign powers would be involved.

While agreeing to the dialogue, al-Burhan also rejected peace that would return the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and its supporters to power.

Peace begins with the RSF laying down its weapons, otherwise the army will continue its operations against it, he warned.

Prime Minister Kamil Idris said on Sunday that his government wants to restore peace and preserve Sudan’s unity.

He also added that the RSF should be designated a terrorist organization, vowing that the army will not be lenient with its forces.

Lawyer Nabil Adib, who was part of the committee that proposed the dialogue, told local media that his committee does not aim to end the war, but reaching political consensus.

He hastily added, however, that that “ending the war may be one of the outcomes of the dialogue if the participants agree to it.”

His statements reveal a dilemma: if the dialogue participants reach a consensus demanding an end to the war, implementing it would require the approval of both warring parties. Should the RSF remain outside the process, the dialogue may succeed in producing a political stance against the war, but it lacks a mechanism to enforce a ceasefire.

Adib notably kept the door open to members of the RSF-aligned Sudan Founding Alliance (Tasis) to take part in the dialogue. The alliance includes political and armed factions that are opposed to the army.

“Alliance parties that do not carry weapons can take part in the dialogue,” he confirmed.

The pro-army Democratic Bloc welcomed the dialogue initiative, saying it was a step forward in “resolving the crisis through national political means”.

On the other side of the divide, the Somoud civilian alliance, led by former PM Abdalla Hamdok, rejected any dialogue held while the war rages.

In a statement, it said that any “political process - independent of the warring parties - must start with an end to the war and addressing the humanitarian catastrophe.”

It warned against holding dialogue in areas held by the army, saying it would “consolidate the unofficial division” of Sudan.

Sudan’s People's Liberation Movement-Revolutionary Democratic Current (SPLM-RDC), led by Yasir Arman, said the current crisis “goes beyond the war.”

It is tied to building the state and the presence of several armies and militias in the country, it noted in a statement. It warned against dialogue that does not address the root causes of the crisis.

The National Umma Party demanded dialogue that includes all segments of society, except for the National Congress Party.

Umma Party leader Mubarak al-Fadil al-Mahdi called for an end to the fighting, as well as national reconciliation and negotiations over security arrangements that would lead to the unification of the army.

He echoed warnings that holding the dialogue in army-held regions would consolidate divisions in the country and fuel the fighting.

The army believes that excluding the RSF from power is a refusal to grant political legitimacy to a force that took up arms against it. However, the RSF’s continued control over parts of the country will undermine any constitutional or governmental arrangements produced by the dialogue in areas under its authority.


Egypt Warns Ethiopia against Plans to Control Nile River Flows

The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)
The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Egypt Warns Ethiopia against Plans to Control Nile River Flows

The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)
The Ethiopian national flag is seen at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) in Guba, Ethiopia, Feb. 19, 2022. (AFP)

An official Egyptian source warned on Sunday Ethiopia against plans to control the flows of the Nile River to downstream countries, in the latest tensions between Cairo and Addis Ababa over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD).

The official made the warning in wake of Ethiopia’s Minister of Water and Energy Habtamu Geleta saying that his country may build more dams on the river, effectively controlling its flow to Egypt and Sudan.

The source said Egypt has “several means at its disposal and is capable of defending the interests of its people when it comes to the Nile,” reported the state news agency MENA.

“Egypt will not accept or allow any party to control the Nile’s flow to downstream countries,” he declared.

Diplomats and observers told Asharq Al-Awsat that Ethipoia’s comments prove that the construction of the dam aimed to apply political pressure on Cairo and was not a development project as it had claimed.

The dispute over the Nile goes back 15 years since Ethiopia began constructing the dam and which it inaugurated around a year ago. Egypt fears that the dam will impact its share of the river water, which is vital for the people.

Arab and local media reported Geleta as saying that his country “will control the flows of the Nile” and that it is “determined to build more dams as part of its right to the fair use of its waters and achieve sustainable development.”

The Egyptian source, however, slammed the statements as more evidence of Addis Ababa’s unilateral actions and violation of international law.

They reflect its “delusions about its ability to impose control over a river it shares with others,” he added.

He warned that the statements are “dangerous” because they reveal an intent to impose a status quo on the ground and impose monopoly over a joint international water source.

“Ethiopia is using its geographic location to threaten the water rights and interests of downstream countries in violation of international law. Egypt will not allow it,” he vowed.

Cairo had previously declared before the UN Security Council that it will resort to all means at its disposal to protect the rights of people to the Nile, he noted.

‘Several options’

Salah Halima, former Assistant Foreign Minister and Deputy Chairman of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs, said Cairo has “several options” at its disposal to protect its interests.

It can again resort to the Security Council and demand measures to resolve conflicts in line with Chapter 6, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Failure to comply, means it can resort to Chapter 7, which would then view the GERD as an act of aggression and a threat to human life, which demands self-defense, he added.

Chapter 6 calls for resolving disputes peacefully through negotiations and mediations, while Chapter 7 allows the Security Council the authority to impose measures through military and non-military means to preserve international peace and security.

Halima said Ethiopia’s latest statements demonstrate that the construction of the GERD was politically motivated to pressure Egypt.

The dam has already caused damage to Sudan where water levels are low, he noted.