Modi Breaks Netanyahu’s Isolation with 16 Cooperation Agreements

The Indian Prime Minister listens to the Israeli Prime Minister during an exceptional session of the Knesset on Wednesday (EPA)
The Indian Prime Minister listens to the Israeli Prime Minister during an exceptional session of the Knesset on Wednesday (EPA)
TT

Modi Breaks Netanyahu’s Isolation with 16 Cooperation Agreements

The Indian Prime Minister listens to the Israeli Prime Minister during an exceptional session of the Knesset on Wednesday (EPA)
The Indian Prime Minister listens to the Israeli Prime Minister during an exceptional session of the Knesset on Wednesday (EPA)

In a move seen as breaking Israel’s relative international isolation amid its ongoing war in Gaza, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi signed 16 agreements with Israel during a two-day visit to the country.

Modi arrived in Israel on Wednesday for talks aimed at strengthening ties in trade and defense. The visit was marked by an unusually warm reception. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu personally welcomed Modi at the airport and later accompanied him to address the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, where lawmakers applauded and cheered.

Netanyahu hailed Modi as “a great global leader and a great friend; more than that, a great brother.”

He added: “They say India has achieved tremendous accomplishments. That is not accurate. It should be said that thanks to your leadership, your wisdom, and your determination, India has achieved its successes.”

The Israeli premier also thanked Modi for India’s assistance during the recent Gaza war, noting that New Delhi had supplied Israel with ammunition and drones.

Sixteen Agreements and a Historic Honor

The Israeli government announced the signing of 16 bilateral agreements during the visit. In a symbolic gesture, Knesset Speaker Amir Ohana awarded Modi the “Knesset Medal,” marking the first time the honor has been bestowed on a visiting leader.

This is Modi’s second visit to Israel since taking office, nearly nine years after his first trip in 2017.

Beyond political symbolism, the relationship carries significant economic weight. India is Israel’s second-largest trading partner in Asia. According to India’s Ministry of Commerce and Industry, total bilateral trade reached $3.62 billion in fiscal year 2025.

Renewed Indian Condemnation of October 7

For his part, Modi declared that “India stands with Israel at this moment and beyond.” Addressing the Knesset plenary, he offered condolences for those killed in the Oct. 7, 2023 attack launched by Hamas, describing it as a “terrorist and brutal attack.”

Modi also praised a plan proposed by US President Donald Trump that he said would safeguard Palestinian national rights.

Expanding Strategic Ties, Secrecy

Observers view the visit not merely as a reflection of improved relations, but as a major step in advancing strategic cooperation. The agreements include memoranda of understanding designed to deepen coordination across several sectors, particularly in security, with officials describing the partnership as a “distinguished strategic relationship.”

Security sources revealed that the two sides reached an arrangement establishing a “confidentiality framework,” allowing India access to previously restricted Israeli systems. These reportedly include advanced air defense systems and integration into Israel’s laser-based air defense network. India is also expected to receive licenses to manufacture certain Israeli weapons systems domestically.

The Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth quoted a senior political official as saying the agreement would provide greater flexibility to security agencies and enable both countries to rely on one another when necessary, calling it “a major revolution.”

Writing in the right-leaning newspaper Israel Hayom, columnist and former lawmaker Zvi Hauser, a political ally of Netanyahu, said one of the key issues Modi and Netanyahu would discuss is Iran’s future and the prospects for the fall of its regime. Hauser suggested that Israel, India, and a post-Revolution Iran could form a powerful strategic alliance in the region.



Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)

The Pentagon announced a $22.9 billion contract with Raytheon on Monday for Tomahawk missiles amid reports of a shortfall due to the war with Iran.

Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the contract will "accelerate Tomahawk missile delivery to our warfighters at unprecedented speed."

"Guaranteeing our naval and joint forces have the lethal firepower they need to deter aggression and protect the homeland is paramount," Cao said in a statement. "The Department is utilizing every available tool to meet the demands of our current operations."

An analysis by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) think tank released last month found that US stocks of Patriot and THAAD air defense missiles have been slashed by the conflict with Iran.

Before it began in late February, the United States had more than 2,300 Patriot and more than 450 THAAD interceptors -- figures that CSIS estimated have been roughly halved or more in the subsequent months of war.

The Washington Post reported this month that President Donald Trump had demanded answers from Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth about munitions shortages at a recent cabinet meeting.

Trump and Hegseth both later denied that the United States was faced with dwindling missile stocks.

Tomahawk missiles are mainly launched from submarines and warships and can travel more than 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles).


UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
TT

UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)

The number of aid workers killed worldwide in 2025 reached 350, with the most fatalities in Gaza and Sudan, the United Nations said Monday, calling attacks on humanitarians "unacceptable."

The death toll, however, was slightly lower than that of 2024, when 377 aid workers were killed.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) cited the figures from the research and advisory group Humanitarian Outcomes in a statement marking World Humanitarian Day.

Some 186 humanitarians were killed in Gaza -- the deadliest place for aid workers for the third year running -- followed by Sudan with 71 killed.

"More than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years and that is utterly unacceptable," Tom Fletcher, under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs, said in the statement.

"But just calling it out will not protect the next aid worker. States must uphold international humanitarian law and use every tool to protect civilians and our colleagues," he said. "And for those who break the rules, there must be real consequences."

Since the start of 2026, 82 more aid workers have been killed, 97 injured and 39 abducted worldwide.

OCHA voiced particular concern over the proliferation of armed drones "that are putting lethal power into ever more hands and sending more explosive weapons into towns and cities."

In Sudan, armed drones caused 80 percent of civilian deaths in the first four months of 2026, hitting markets and health facilities, the statement said, also noting casualties from drone attacks in the Russia-Ukraine war.

"Weaponized drones have become the new face of an old danger: the deliberate or reckless destruction of civilian life," Fletcher said.


Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
TT

Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)

New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone posing as Susie Wiles, the White House chief of staff, several media outlets reported on Monday.

According to Politico, which broke the story quoting anonymous sources, the British leader sent a "few messages" via an unspecified communication channel to a person he believed to be Wiles before becoming suspicious.

The incident was deemed serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise the matter with the White House, according to two sources cited by Politico.

Neither the date nor the content of the exchanges is known.

Burnham succeeded former Labour Party leader Keir Starmer as prime minister on July 20.

"We do not comment on national security matters," a spokesperson for Burnham's Downing Street office said, without denying the exchanges.

Burnham is not the first prominent British politician to fall victim to this type of hoax.

In 2024, the British government released a video of a phone call in which the then foreign minister David Cameron was duped by someone posing as former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko.

The Foreign Office explained at the time that it had disclosed the incident to preempt any attempt by the perpetrators to manipulate the footage.