Israel Steps up Assassinations in Gaza

Smoke rises from a displacement camp in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza after an Israeli strike on Wednesday (AFP)
Smoke rises from a displacement camp in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza after an Israeli strike on Wednesday (AFP)
TT

Israel Steps up Assassinations in Gaza

Smoke rises from a displacement camp in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza after an Israeli strike on Wednesday (AFP)
Smoke rises from a displacement camp in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza after an Israeli strike on Wednesday (AFP)

A relative lull hangs over efforts to shape Gaza’s future, as global and regional attention shifts to the US-Israeli war against Iran.

Still, Israel has continued targeting commanders from Hamas’ armed wing, the Al-Qassam Brigades, using intelligence from collaborators and surveillance devices. One such device was recently uncovered in a displacement camp in central Gaza and self-destructed during inspection.

Israel killed Ahmed Darwish, an elite commander in the Central Brigade of the Qassam Brigades, along with his aide Nader al-Nabahin, while a third man was critically wounded. An Israeli drone struck them shortly before midnight on Tuesday into Wednesday near a football field south of the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza.

Field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Darwish had survived several assassination attempts during the war. One source said he led an elite unit in the Oct. 7, 2023, attack and captured several Israelis.

Sources said Darwish had recently emerged as a key figure in the Central Brigade after senior commanders were killed, and had been working with others to rebuild the Qassam Brigades.

The Israeli military said it struck Hamas elite operatives during what it described as military training in central Gaza, calling them a threat. Hamas field sources denied this, saying they were gathered normally when they were hit.

Mysterious blast of a surveillance device

A blast struck near a displacement camp in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza before noon on Wednesday, causing no injuries and initially thought to be a drone strike.

Field sources said fighters had found an Israeli surveillance device and tried to dismantle it to access images and recordings. It then self-destructed, possibly due to a malfunction or remote detonation by an Israeli drone.

Hours later, a warplane hit the same site, killing one person and wounding six others, one critically.

Sources said armed factions in Gaza have found several such devices before and during the war, used to transmit live images to drones and Israeli operations rooms.

Israel has stepped up intelligence and operational activity in central Gaza, areas less damaged during the war and hit by fewer ground and air attacks than elsewhere. Hebrew media say the Qassam Brigades have largely retained their strength there.

Repeated strikes on police vehicles

On Sunday evening, the third day of Eid al-Fitr, a drone struck a Hamas-run police vehicle, killing three and wounding others. Field sources said one of the dead was Ahmed Hamdan, an elite field commander in the Nuseirat Battalion of the Qassam Brigades.

The Israeli military did not comment. The strike followed a similar attack days earlier on a Hamas police vehicle that killed at least four people, including prominent Qassam operatives, in central Gaza.

Asharq Al-Awsat monitoring shows that at least 10 field commanders, including company leaders, elite unit commanders, and deputy battalion commanders, have been killed by Israel in the past three weeks in a series of strikes.

Gaza’s Health Ministry says at least 690 Palestinians have been killed since a ceasefire took effect on Oct. 10, 2025, bringing the total death toll since the war began to more than 72,265.

The killings have come alongside continued airstrikes, artillery fire, and demolitions along both sides of the so-called “yellow line,” and bulldozing of remaining homes along the main Salah al-Din road, particularly near Khan Younis and in areas such as Shuja’iyya and Jabalia.

Foiled assassination attempt

Military activity has coincided with operations by armed gangs in areas under Israeli control.

Hamas’ Radea (Deterrence) force said it foiled an attempt to assassinate a resistance commander, arresting two suspects and seizing their weapons and equipment, while two others fled.

It said interrogations revealed details about coordination between armed gangs and Israeli intelligence, which could help dismantle the groups.

Field sources said the target was a senior faction leader. They added that tighter security measures helped thwart the plot. Silenced pistols, cameras, and communication devices with Israeli SIM cards were seized.

Armed gangs have stepped up attacks on faction leaders and senior Hamas government officials. Some attempts have been foiled, while others have succeeded in recent months.



West Bank Siege Exposes Israel Army Inaction on Settler Violence

Israeli soldiers secure the weekly tour of settlers in the streets of Hebron in the occupied West Bank (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers secure the weekly tour of settlers in the streets of Hebron in the occupied West Bank (Reuters)
TT

West Bank Siege Exposes Israel Army Inaction on Settler Violence

Israeli soldiers secure the weekly tour of settlers in the streets of Hebron in the occupied West Bank (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers secure the weekly tour of settlers in the streets of Hebron in the occupied West Bank (Reuters)

The Israeli military is touted as the most powerful in the Middle East, striking targets deep into enemy territory. But for more than a week, Israeli troops have somehow failed to evict a small group of settlers sitting on rocks in the occupied West Bank.

Experts says the military has long shown inertia when its task is stopping surging violence against Palestinians, due to government backing for the settlement movement and the increasing influence of settler ideology within the army's ranks.

More than a week ago, a handful of settlers at Qusra near Nablus began besieging Palestinians inside their homes, blocking supplies and drawing international and even domestic condemnation.

The Israeli military repeatedly deployed troops, with the United States saying it had requested action by its ally as one of the besieged Palestinians is a US citizen.

But beyond condemnatory statements, the detention of one Israeli, and the dismantling of settlers' tents, little was done to force them out.

Some of the first soldiers to arrive at the scene were even filmed praying with the settlers. The military later vowed disciplinary action.

By Monday, settlers on quadbikes were back at the site shaking hands and chatting with Israeli forces, according to videos shared with AFP by a besieged resident.

The government's support for extremist settlers puts the military in an "impossible situation," said Nimrod Novik, a senior advisor and special envoy to former Israeli prime minister Shimon Peres.

The military is "forced to choose between operating on the basis of its professional judgement and duty, which calls for applying harsh measures against violent settlers, or... adhere to government policy, which provides those terrorists with political backwind as well as resources," he told AFP.

"The result is paralysis with rare exceptions due either to the severity of the crimes or US intervention," Novik added.

Israel has since 1967 occupied the West Bank, where more than 500,000 Israelis now live in settlements which are illegal under international law. The territory is home to some three million Palestinians.

Construction of settlements has reached historic highs under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's right-wing government, with several ministers cheering the establishment of outposts deemed illegal even under Israeli law and openly calling for the territory's annexation.

Settler violence against Palestinians has persisted for years, with perpetrators in most cases facing no repercussions, but recent months have seen a dramatic surge in attacks.

"The infrastructure of the occupation is built in a way that for a soldier, for us, it's almost impossible to enforce the law on violent settlers and very easy to do whatever we want on Palestinians," said Nadav Weiman, a former sniper who now heads Breaking the Silence, an advocacy group for Israeli veterans.

Weiman told AFP that the rules of engagement for dealing with settlers were rarely explained, with soldiers told to refer to police due to their status as Israeli citizens.

"In 22 years of collecting testimonies from soldiers in the West Bank, I can tell you that in the majority of the units, nothing is being told to the soldier on what they can do with settlers," he added.

The reluctance to act also comes from increasingly blurred lines between settlers and soldiers in the West Bank, Weiman said, with a growing number of settlers becoming officers after attending hardline ideological pre-military academies.

The military's commander for the West Bank, Major General Avi Bluth, himself attended the Bnei David pre-military academy in the settlement of Eli.

A further blurring happened following Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

With most soldiers sent to fight in Gaza or Lebanon, the military drafted thousands of settler reservists into regional defense units, tasked with securing their own communities in the West Bank.

According to rights group Yesh Din, around 7,000 settlers were armed and mobilized into these units during the first months of the war, with such reservists more likely to do nothing to stop settler attacks or to participate themselves.

While many are no longer on active reserve duty, the military has allowed them to keep their firearms and uniforms, according to Yesh Din, enabling soaring violence by settlers posing as soldiers.

When contacted by AFP, the military said the main body responsible for handling violations by Israeli citizens in the West Bank is the police, with soldiers instructed to "act to stop the violation and to delay or detain the suspects until the police arrive at the scene".

"In situations where soldiers fail to adhere to army orders, the incidents are thoroughly reviewed, and disciplinary actions are implemented accordingly", it added.

In the wake of the Qusra siege, Israel's Defense Minister Israel Katz has called for the police to take over West Bank law enforcement, saying it is not soldiers' responsibility to "chase" violent settlers.

The measure, while unlikely to be implemented soon, would be a step towards Israeli annexation of the territory.

Observers doubt the political will to crack down on violent settlers ahead of October 27 elections, but say the issue should be treated with urgency.

"Should settler violence continue, it will be astonishing if a major bloody conflagration doesn't ensue," Novik said.


UN Says Only 3% of Gaza Cropland Accessible and Undamaged

Salvage workers shovel the scrapped rubble of a building that was destroyed during Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza, to use the recycled remains in the future, in Gaza City on August 16, 2026. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
Salvage workers shovel the scrapped rubble of a building that was destroyed during Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza, to use the recycled remains in the future, in Gaza City on August 16, 2026. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

UN Says Only 3% of Gaza Cropland Accessible and Undamaged

Salvage workers shovel the scrapped rubble of a building that was destroyed during Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza, to use the recycled remains in the future, in Gaza City on August 16, 2026. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
Salvage workers shovel the scrapped rubble of a building that was destroyed during Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza, to use the recycled remains in the future, in Gaza City on August 16, 2026. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

Just three percent of the cropland in Gaza remains accessible and undamaged, the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization warned Tuesday, citing an analysis of satellite images.

The report found that since October 2025, when a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas took hold, the area of accessible and undamaged cropland had fallen to 448 hectares from 601 hectares, a reduction of 25.5 percent, said AFP.

Another 3,643 hectares of cropland are accessible but too damaged to be farmed without rehabilitation, the FAO said.

"Without urgent action to restore safe access and provide farmers with the support they need, opportunities to restore local food production will continue to diminish," said Rein Paulsen, director of the agency's Office of Emergencies and Resilience.

Restrictions on the import of agricultural goods are also hampering recovery, with livestock farmers struggling to obtain animal feed and veterinary supplies.

Greenhouse availability has also declined, dropping 17.3 percent since October 2025 to 224 hectares that are accessible and undamaged.

The FAO said the reduced access could be explained mainly by the westward expansion of the so-called "Yellow Line" that separates the ceasefire zone from the area controlled by the Israeli military.

The Palestinian militant group Hamas launched an attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, that resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Militants also took 251 hostages to Gaza.

Israel's retaliatory military campaign in Gaza has killed more than 73,000 people, according to the territory's health ministry, which operates under Hamas authority and whose figures are considered reliable by the United Nations.

A ceasefire took hold in October 2025 but progress on permanently ending the war has stalled, and Israeli forces currently control nearly 70 percent of the territory.

Before October 2023 agriculture accounted for about 10 percent of Gaza's economy and supported the livelihoods of more than 560,000 people, according to the FAO.


Syria Says 3 Dead in Hydrogen Tank Blast at Coastal Power Plant

The Banias power plant. (Tartus Governorate on Facebook)
The Banias power plant. (Tartus Governorate on Facebook)
TT

Syria Says 3 Dead in Hydrogen Tank Blast at Coastal Power Plant

The Banias power plant. (Tartus Governorate on Facebook)
The Banias power plant. (Tartus Governorate on Facebook)

A hydrogen tank explosion at a power plant in western Syria killed three people on Tuesday, an electricity company official said.

Alaa Sawda, head of the Syrian Electricity Company's media department told the official SANA news agency that "the explosion at the Banias thermal power plant was caused by maintenance work on the hydrogen tank, and occurred during the replacement of the tank's float valve, resulting in the death of three workers".

"The station continues its operations and was not affected by the explosion," he added.

SANA had initially reported "an explosion in the thermal power plant in Banias" with the cause under investigation.

It cited a regional health official as saying the blast resulted in three deaths.

Banias's thermal plant, located in the western Tartus province, is one of the most important electrical facilities in Syria.

Syria's dilapidated electricity sector suffered heavy blows during the country's civil war with heavy damage to its infrastructure, leading to power cuts that can last up to 20 hours a day.

Since the ousting of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad in 2024, the new Syrian authorities have repeatedly vowed to increase electricity production.