Russia, Belarus Stage Nuclear Drills

A serviceman takes part in the “Zapad-2025” (West-2025) joint Russian-Belarusian military drills at a training ground near the town of Borisov, east of Belarus's capital Minsk, on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
A serviceman takes part in the “Zapad-2025” (West-2025) joint Russian-Belarusian military drills at a training ground near the town of Borisov, east of Belarus's capital Minsk, on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Russia, Belarus Stage Nuclear Drills

A serviceman takes part in the “Zapad-2025” (West-2025) joint Russian-Belarusian military drills at a training ground near the town of Borisov, east of Belarus's capital Minsk, on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
A serviceman takes part in the “Zapad-2025” (West-2025) joint Russian-Belarusian military drills at a training ground near the town of Borisov, east of Belarus's capital Minsk, on September 15, 2025. (AFP)

Russia and Belarus staged nuclear drills on Monday, authorities said, amid a standoff with the NATO military alliance and an impasse with Washington over nuclear arms control. 

Russia deployed Oreshnik, its latest hypersonic, nuclear-capable missile, to Belarus last year, upping the stakes in its rivalry with the Western alliance. 

"During the exercise, it is planned to practice issues related to the delivery of nuclear munitions and preparation of their use in cooperation with the Russian side," the Belarus defense ministry said. 

The scheduled training "is not directed against third countries and does not pose a threat to security in the region," it added in a statement on social media. 

Aviation and missile forces will take part in the drill, the ministry said. 

Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ordered troops to reinforce the border with Belarus in the north, claiming Moscow was preparing a new offensive from there. 

He said Russia, which used Belarus as a staging post for its invasion in 2022, wanted to drag the former Soviet republic deeper into the war. 

The Kremlin dismissed Zelensky's allegations on Monday, calling them "an attempt at further incitement." 

Facing a series of setbacks in the assault that has dragged on for more than four years, Russian President Vladimir Putin has repeatedly invoked nuclear rhetoric as the West stepped up military support for Ukraine. 

Moscow last week tested its nuclear-capable, intercontinental ballistic missile Sarmat, months after the last treaty capping Russian and US nuclear arsenals expired. 

The ending of the New START agreement in February formally released the world's two largest nuclear powers from a raft of restrictions. 

Belarus, a landlocked eastern European country ruled for over 30 years by close Putin ally Alexander Lukashenko, deeply depends on Moscow economically and militarily. 



Congo Announces 3 Ebola Treatment Centers in Ituri as it Grapples with a New Outbreak

TOPSHOT - A staff member of the CBCA Virunga Hospital checks a visitor痴 temperature using a a contactless infrared thermometer, before allowing her access to the hospital in Goma on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Jospin Mwisha / AFP)
TOPSHOT - A staff member of the CBCA Virunga Hospital checks a visitor痴 temperature using a a contactless infrared thermometer, before allowing her access to the hospital in Goma on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Jospin Mwisha / AFP)
TT

Congo Announces 3 Ebola Treatment Centers in Ituri as it Grapples with a New Outbreak

TOPSHOT - A staff member of the CBCA Virunga Hospital checks a visitor痴 temperature using a a contactless infrared thermometer, before allowing her access to the hospital in Goma on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Jospin Mwisha / AFP)
TOPSHOT - A staff member of the CBCA Virunga Hospital checks a visitor痴 temperature using a a contactless infrared thermometer, before allowing her access to the hospital in Goma on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Jospin Mwisha / AFP)

The Congolese health minister announced the opening of three treatment centers in the eastern Ituri region as the country grapples with an outbreak of a rare variant of Ebola virus that has no approved therapeutics or vaccines.

“We know that the hospitals are already under stress because of the patients,” Samuel Roger Kamba said during a visit to Bunia, the capital and largest city in Ituri, on Sunday. "But we are preparing to have treatment centers at all three sites in order to be able to expand our capabilities,” The AP news reported.

The World Health Organization declared the Ebola disease outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, after more than 300 suspected cases and 88 deaths in Congo and two in neighboring Uganda. Although the outbreak is centered in Ituri, cases have been reported in the capital, Kinshasa, and in Goma, the largest city in eastern Congo.

The WHO Regional Office for Africa said on X that a team of 35 experts from the WHO and the Congolese Ministry of Health had arrived in Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, along with 7 tons of emergency medical supplies and equipment.

An unusual strain Ebola is highly contagious and can be contracted via bodily fluids such as vomit, blood, or semen. The disease it causes is rare, but severe and often fatal.

Health authorities say the current outbreak, first confirmed on Friday, is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, a rare variant of the Ebola disease that has no approved therapeutics or vaccines. Although more than 20 Ebola outbreaks have taken place in Congo and Uganda, this is only the third time that the Bundibugyo virus has been detected.

Dr. Gabriel Nsakala, a professor of public health who has been involved in past Ebola outbreak responses in Congo, said treatments for viral infections like Ebola are often directed at symptoms.

He said Congo has extensive experience managing Ebola outbreaks, but response efforts could be complicated by the unusual strain.

The Bundibugyo virus was first detected in Uganda’s Bundibugyo district during a 2007-2008 outbreak that infected 149 people and killed 37. The second time was in 2012, in an outbreak in Isiro, Congo, where 57 cases and 29 deaths were reported.

The outbreak started in a remote locality already grappling with a humanitarian crisis The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said the first cases were reported in Mongwalu health zone, a high-traffic mining area in Ituri.

Ituri is in a remote eastern part of Congo, with poor road networks, and is more than 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) from the nation’s capital, Kinshasa. Eastern Congo has been grappling with a humanitarian crisis even before the new outbreak has been confirmed.

The agency said there’s also a risk of further spread due to intense population movement and attacks by armed groups that have killed dozens and displaced thousands in parts of Ituri in the past year.

“The outbreak is currently occurring in provinces marred by crisis including insecurity, presence of armed actors or de facto authorities with large displacement, weak health systems and insufficient availability of services,” the WHO said on Monday. It added that since January 2025, there have been 44 attacks on health care facilities in Congo and 742 incidents affecting humanitarian workers.

Health officials are in ‘panic mode’ due to lack of medicines and vaccines The WHO’s emergency declaration is meant to spur donor agencies and countries into action. By the agency's standards, it shows the event is serious, there is a risk of international spread and it requires a coordinated international response.

Jean Kaseya, director-general of the Africa CDC, told Sky News on Sunday that he is in “panic mode” due to a lack of medicines and vaccines as deaths rise, but there are some candidate treatments anticipated in the coming weeks.

Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday, the U.S. State Department said on social media. Associated Press reporters tried to cross the border on Sunday and Monday morning, but were informed it was closed except for holders of international flight tickets. Rwandan authorities have not replied to a request for comment.

The East African Community a regional bloc that includes Congo, said Monday that the new Ebola outbreak underscores the importance of regional solidarity and preparedness. Andrea Aguer Ariik Malueth, the deputy secretary-general, said that given the high level of movement of people and goods across the region, coordinated preparedness and rapid information sharing are essential to preventing cross-border transmission.

He added in a statement that the bloc is committed to helping its members strengthen surveillance, laboratory diagnosis, infection prevention and control and other efforts, particularly in border areas.


Pakistan Sends New Iranian Peace Proposal to US

Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Pakistan Sends New Iranian Peace Proposal to US

Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Iran sent a new peace proposal to the United States with terms that appeared similar to offers Washington has previously rejected, although a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that the US had softened positions on some issues. 

A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides in the war in the Middle East since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the latest proposal with Washington. But the source suggested progress had been difficult. 

The sides "keep changing their goalposts," the Pakistani source said, adding: "We ‌don't have ‌much time." 

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran's views had ‌been "conveyed ⁠to the American side ⁠through Pakistan" but gave no details. Washington did not immediately comment. 

The Iranian proposal, as described by the senior Iranian source, appeared similar in many respects to Iran's previous offer, which US President Donald Trump rejected last week as "garbage". 

It would focus first on securing an end to the war, reopening the Strait of Hormuz - a major oil supply route that Iran has effectively blockaded - and lifting maritime sanctions. More contentious issues around Iran's nuclear program and uranium enrichment would be deferred to later ⁠rounds of talks, the source said. 

However, in an apparent softening of Washington's ‌stance, the senior Iranian source said the United States ‌had agreed to release a quarter of Iran's frozen funds - totaling tens of billions of dollars - held in ‌foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released. 

The Iranian source also said Washington had showed ‌more flexibility in allowing Iran to continue some peaceful nuclear activity under supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency. 

Iran's Tasnim news agency separately quoted an unidentified source as saying the US had accepted waiving oil sanctions on Iran while negotiations were under way. Iranian officials did not immediately comment on Tasnim's report. 

FRAGILE CEASEFIRE 

A fragile ceasefire is ‌in place after six weeks of war that followed US-Israeli airstrikes on Iran. But talks mediated by Pakistan have stalled and Trump has ⁠said the ceasefire ⁠is "on life support". 

Washington has previously demanded Tehran dismantle its nuclear program and allow shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, which normally carries one-fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas supply. 

Iran has been demanding compensation for war damage, an end to a US blockade of Iranian ports and a halt to fighting on all fronts, including in Lebanon, where Israel is battling the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia. 

Trump said in a post on Truth Social at the weekend that "the Clock is Ticking" for Iran, adding that "they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!" 

Trump is expected to meet top national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss options for resuming military action, Axios reported. 

Baghaei said Tehran was prepared for all scenarios. 

"As for their threats, rest assured that we are fully aware of how to respond appropriately to even the smallest mistake from the opposing side," he told a televised weekly press conference. 


Russian Drone Hit Chinese Cargo Ship Overnight in Black Sea, Says Ukraine

Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of an air attack in Odesa on May 18, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)
Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of an air attack in Odesa on May 18, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)
TT

Russian Drone Hit Chinese Cargo Ship Overnight in Black Sea, Says Ukraine

Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of an air attack in Odesa on May 18, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)
Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of an air attack in Odesa on May 18, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)

A Russian drone hit a Chinese cargo ship in the Black Sea overnight, Ukraine said Monday, a day before Russian President Vladimir Putin heads to Beijing to meet Xi Jinping.

Kyiv routinely announces Russian attacks on civilian vessels near the port of Odesa -- a vital maritime hub for Ukrainian agricultural exports.

But Monday's attack comes just ahead of Putin's two-day trip to Beijing where he and Xi are set to deepen bilateral ties between the friendly nations.

"Drones struck Odesa ... and one of the UAVs hit a vessel owned by China," Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a post on social media.

"The Russians could not have been unaware of what vessel was at sea," he added.

A spokesman for Ukraine's navy told AFP that none of the crew -- all Chinese citizens -- were wounded and that the Chinese-owned vessel continued on its journey.

"The ship was entering for loading. After it was hit at night by a Shahed, the crew coped with the consequences on their own. Fortunately, no one was injured, and the vessel continued on its way to its port of destination," navy spokesman Dmytro Pletenchuk said.

The Ukrainian navy named the ship as KSL Deyang.

It posted a photo showing part of the upper deck blackened after the apparent hit.

Zelensky said Russian forces had attacked Ukraine overnight with 524 attack drones and 22 missiles, including ballistic and cruise missiles.

China has regularly called for talks to end the fighting. It has never condemned Russia for sending troops into Ukraine in February 2022 and presents itself as a neutral party.

Türkiye and the United Nations in 2022 brokered an agreement with Kyiv and Moscow to allow Ukrainian grain exports from the Black Sea, an accord scrapped by the Kremlin around one year later.