Iran Threatens War 'Beyond the Region' if US Attacks

People walk near a billboard with an image of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 19, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
People walk near a billboard with an image of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 19, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
TT

Iran Threatens War 'Beyond the Region' if US Attacks

People walk near a billboard with an image of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 19, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
People walk near a billboard with an image of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, in Tehran, Iran, May 19, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

Iran threatened on Wednesday to spread war beyond the Middle East if the United States attacks again, after President Donald Trump said he had come within an hour of restarting the military campaign.

Six weeks since Trump paused Operation Epic Fury for a ceasefire, talks to end the war have largely stalled.

Iran submitted a new offer to the United States this week, but its public accounts of it repeat terms previously rejected by Trump, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops from the area.

Trump said on Monday, and again on Tuesday, that he had come close to ordering a new bombing campaign but had put it off at the last minute to give more time for diplomacy.

"I was an hour away from making the decision to go today," Trump told reporters at the White House on Tuesday.

Iran has repeatedly threatened to retaliate for any new attacks by striking countries in the Middle East that house US bases. On Wednesday it suggested it would also hit targets further afield.

"If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the ⁠region this time," ⁠the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement carried on state media.

Iran has largely shut the Strait of Hormuz to all ships apart from its own since the US-Israeli campaign began in February, causing the biggest disruption to global energy supplies in history. The United States responded last month with its own blockade of Iran's ports.

Two giant Chinese tankers laden with around 4 million barrels of oil exited the strait on Wednesday, the latest signal that Iran is willing to ease its blockade for countries it considers friendly. Iran had announced last week, while Trump was in Beijing for a summit, that it had reached an agreement to ease rules for Chinese ships.

South Korea's foreign minister said on Wednesday a Korean tanker was crossing the strait ⁠in cooperation with Iran.

Shipping monitor Lloyd's List said at least 54 ships had transited the strait last week, around double the number from the week before. But that is still only a tiny fraction of the 140 or so each day that typically crossed before the war.

Trump is under pressure to end the war, with soaring energy prices hurting his Republican Party ahead of congressional elections in November. Since the ceasefire in late April, his public comments have veered from threats to restart bombing to declarations that a peace deal was at hand, often in the same breath.

On Tuesday he said the war would be over "very quickly". Vice President JD Vance, who led the US delegation last month at the only round of peace talks so far, also talked up progress: "We're in a pretty good spot here," Vance told a White House press briefing.



Liberia Says Taking up to 1,200 US Deportees

Migrants deported months ago by the United States to El Salvador under the Trump administration's immigration crackdown arrive at Simon Bolívar International Airport, in Maiquetia, Venezuela, July 18, 2025. (AP)
Migrants deported months ago by the United States to El Salvador under the Trump administration's immigration crackdown arrive at Simon Bolívar International Airport, in Maiquetia, Venezuela, July 18, 2025. (AP)
TT

Liberia Says Taking up to 1,200 US Deportees

Migrants deported months ago by the United States to El Salvador under the Trump administration's immigration crackdown arrive at Simon Bolívar International Airport, in Maiquetia, Venezuela, July 18, 2025. (AP)
Migrants deported months ago by the United States to El Salvador under the Trump administration's immigration crackdown arrive at Simon Bolívar International Airport, in Maiquetia, Venezuela, July 18, 2025. (AP)

Liberia said Tuesday it would receive up to 1,200 foreign nationals deported from the United States, as President Donald Trump pursues an unprecedented immigration crackdown.

The Trump administration has launched a sweeping expansion to deportations where the government has argued it can send people to a country that is not their home nation.

"Liberia intends to accept up to 1,200 persons to be transferred from the United States of America within a year," the Liberian government said in a statement.

A first group of 20 deportees would arrive Thursday in the West African nation, it said, adding that they were "free to depart the country when they so desire" or apply for asylum.

The Trump administration has said it wants to send Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran immigrant who became a symbol of mass deportations, to the country after he was mistakenly deported to El Salvador, the New York Times reported.

In Africa, Ghana and Equatorial Guinea have become key transit points in the US immigration crackdown -- even as authorities there quickly send people onwards to their home counties.

Two former State Department officials told AFP that the United States is using visa bans and restrictions on African countries to strongarm them into taking people from third countries.

The Liberian government said it "has not demanded or received any compensation or promise of rewards in exchange for its consent to participate in the program".

"Liberia will receive support to help manage the program and strengthen its migration system more broadly, it said, insisting the arrangement was "entirely humanitarian".

The US State Department refused to comment on the scheme.

Liberia as a nation was founded in the early 19th century by a society which advocated for the return of former slaves and freeborn African-Americans from the United States.


US, South Korea Cut Drills Short After Trump Criticism

US Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters are seen at Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek on August 17, 2026. (Yonhap/AFP)
US Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters are seen at Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek on August 17, 2026. (Yonhap/AFP)
TT

US, South Korea Cut Drills Short After Trump Criticism

US Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters are seen at Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek on August 17, 2026. (Yonhap/AFP)
US Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters are seen at Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek on August 17, 2026. (Yonhap/AFP)

Annual war games between South Korea and the United States will end around a week earlier than planned, both countries said on Wednesday, after US President Donald Trump ordered the "inappropriate and hostile" drills scaled back.

Trump said on Sunday that he had told the Pentagon to curtail the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises -- a day before they started -- citing his "good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Pyongyang's state media criticized the drills on Wednesday as a "most immediate and open threat", without mentioning Trump's order.

Hours later, Seoul's military said the drills would wrap up on Friday, not on August 27 as originally planned.

"We have decided to adjust the UFS exercise period to run from the 17th to the 21st," South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.

The decision was made "at the suggestion of the US side", it added.

The Pentagon said the "substantially reduced" drills would "preserve essential readiness and... (cause) no degradation to US training objectives".

The exercises are designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea.

They were understood to consist of two phases: the first, focused on defending against potential North Korean threats, was due to run until Friday; and the second, focused on a counteroffensive, from August 24 to 27.

The second phase is now understood to have been scrapped.

A South Korean military official told AFP that Seoul viewed the decision as "unusual".

Nuclear-armed North Korea has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.

Wednesday's commentary by the state-run Korean Central News Agency said they pose "the most immediate and open threat" to North Korea and "regional security".

It did not mention Trump's order or his desire to resume talks with Kim, with whom he has hinted at being in contact.

Hong Min, a senior researcher at the Korea Institute for National Unification, said Pyongyang had deliberately avoided mentioning Trump.

North Korea was "sticking to general principles as if completely unaware of" Trump's comments, he told AFP.

"Showing awareness could suggest a degree of mutual understanding," but feigning ignorance signals that the issue could become a key bargaining point in any future talks with Trump, Hong said.

- 'Much safer' -

In the initial announcement on his Truth Social platform, Trump described the drills as unfriendly towards a country that had been respectful to him.

South Korea's Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told lawmakers on Wednesday that Seoul had not been informed in advance of Trump's plan to downsize them.

"Neither our government nor US government officials knew in advance what President Trump revealed via Truth Social," Cho said.

Trump has insisted that he is making the situation "much safer" through his ties with Kim.

Asked on Monday whether Kim had responded to his requests for a conversation, Trump said: "Yeah, he has."

He said the discussions had been "very positive", but provided no further detail.

"There has been persistent speculation that Washington could seek renewed talks with Pyongyang ahead of the November US midterm elections," Yang Moo-jin, former president of the University of North Korean Studies, told AFP.

"For Trump, a meeting with... Kim Jong Un could offer a chance to secure a foreign-policy legacy."

The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday, citing unnamed US officials, that Trump is pushing aides to set up a meeting with Kim as soon as this autumn.

"Reducing exercises could have a positive impact on the possibility of US-North Korea dialogue," Park Won-gon, a professor at Ewha Womans University, told AFP.

"The suspension of joint exercises has always been a prerequisite for North Korea to engage in dialogue with the US," he added.

Trump and Kim met three times in his first spell in the White House, but they have not held talks during his second term.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country's defenses, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.

Trump has repeatedly criticized longstanding US alliances, casting doubt on Washington's commitment to security in East Asia and alarming regional partners.


Russian Attack on Bus in Ukraine's Kherson Kills Four

Firefighters work at a site of a Russian drone attack, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in the Kyiv region, Ukraine, in this handout picture released August 18, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine in Kyiv region/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at a site of a Russian drone attack, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in the Kyiv region, Ukraine, in this handout picture released August 18, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine in Kyiv region/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Russian Attack on Bus in Ukraine's Kherson Kills Four

Firefighters work at a site of a Russian drone attack, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in the Kyiv region, Ukraine, in this handout picture released August 18, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine in Kyiv region/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at a site of a Russian drone attack, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in the Kyiv region, Ukraine, in this handout picture released August 18, 2026. Press service of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine in Kyiv region/Handout via REUTERS

A Russian drone attack on a bus in the frontline city of Kherson in southern Ukraine killed four people on Wednesday and left another four wounded, the regional prosecutor's office said.

"Russian military forces attacked a bus travelling down a street in Kherson with a drone. As a result of the attack, according to preliminary information, four civilian passengers were killed.

Four more people sustained injuries of varying severity," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Ukraine’s ousted Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov called Tuesday for elections to be held even as the war against Russia continues, saying the country was gripped by a crisis of governance.

The move by one of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy's most loyal and longstanding team members until recently could become the most significant internal challenge Zelenskyy has faced since Russia’s full-scale invasion.

The appeal came in a video address posted to YouTube by Fedorov, who lost his post in July.
“We must find a legal, safe, and realistic mechanism that will allow Ukraine to restore a full democratic process even amid a prolonged war,” Fedorov said.

Zelenskyy’s office did not immediately comment on Fedorov’s address.

Ukrainian law prohibits elections while the country is under martial law, which was imposed on Feb. 24, 2022, the day that the Russian invasion began.

Fedorov said the country was facing a systemic crisis in how it is governed, arguing the current system is oriented toward protecting itself and resisting change. He also condemned corruption among officials without naming anyone, saying it had weakened Ukraine’s ability to fight the war.

Fedorov has said he believes a factor in his removal was an overhaul he led of the Defense Ministry’s procurement system, which oversees billions of dollars in equipment purchases.

“Corruption in wartime is not merely a financial issue. It is a matter of our capability to survive and win,” said Fedorov. “Every single hryvnia intended for defense must work for defense. Not for a private pocket.”

Fedorov released the address hours after Ukraine’s Parliament received a submission from Zelenskyy nominating Yevhenii Khmara to be the new defense minister, Parliament speaker Ruslan Stefanchuk said on Facebook Tuesday.