Norway Come from Behind to Draw with Morocco in World Cup Warm-up

Morocco's forward #09 Soufiane Rahimi and Norway's defender #03 Kristoffer Ajer vie for the ball during the international friendly football match between Morocco and Norway at Sports Illustrated Stadium in Harrison, New Jersey, on June 7, 2026. (AFP)
Morocco's forward #09 Soufiane Rahimi and Norway's defender #03 Kristoffer Ajer vie for the ball during the international friendly football match between Morocco and Norway at Sports Illustrated Stadium in Harrison, New Jersey, on June 7, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Norway Come from Behind to Draw with Morocco in World Cup Warm-up

Morocco's forward #09 Soufiane Rahimi and Norway's defender #03 Kristoffer Ajer vie for the ball during the international friendly football match between Morocco and Norway at Sports Illustrated Stadium in Harrison, New Jersey, on June 7, 2026. (AFP)
Morocco's forward #09 Soufiane Rahimi and Norway's defender #03 Kristoffer Ajer vie for the ball during the international friendly football match between Morocco and Norway at Sports Illustrated Stadium in Harrison, New Jersey, on June 7, 2026. (AFP)

Norway captain Martin ‌Odegaard equalized 15 minutes from time to force a 1-1 draw with Morocco in their World Cup warm-up international on Sunday.

Morocco had been ahead from the seventh minute when Brahim Diaz thundered home a shot from the edge of the penalty area, but Norway fought their way back and could have won the clash with the North Africans, who were semi-finalists at the last World Cup in Qatar four years ago.

Norway shrugged off ‌the hot ‌conditions and applied sustained pressure near the ‌end ⁠of the game, ⁠with Kristian Thorstvedt inches from grabbing a winner with nine minutes left as he put his header from Julian Ryerson’s free kick narrowly wide.

Odegaard had levelled matters with a smart left-footed finish after Oscar Bobb had jinked his way into the penalty area and laid ⁠off a short pass.

Morocco started strongly, and ‌Diaz was given time and ‌space after a pass from out wide to thrash home ‌a shot. It was his first goal for Morocco ‌since the Africa Cup of Nations finals at the turn of the year, where he finished top scorer but also squandered a penalty in the final.

Teammate Abdessamad Ezzalzouli came ‌close to doubling the lead on the half hour as he swiveled to hit ⁠a ⁠full volley on the end of Diaz’s cross but missed the target.

Morocco had one other good opportunity when Diaz’s 57th-minute shot was parried by Norway goalkeeper Orjan Nyland, and the rebound headed over the top of the crossbar by Neil El Aynaoui.

But the Moroccans were pegged back towards the end of the game and had to defend stoutly to avoid defeat.

Morocco open their World Cup campaign in Group C against Brazil in New York on Saturday, while Norway’s first game in Group I is against Iraq in Boston on June 16.



Playing at Real Madrid ‘Not for Everyone’, Says Bernardo Silva

Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
TT

Playing at Real Madrid ‘Not for Everyone’, Says Bernardo Silva

Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)

Bernardo Silva said playing for Real Madrid "is not for everyone" after the Portugal midfielder was presented by the 15-time European champions on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old, who joined from Manchester City at the end of his contract this summer, said he was proud to join the world's most successful club.

"I've already played quite a few times at the Bernabeu -- when you arrive and see the 15 Champions League titles they display there, it's very imposing, and having them here is very special," Silva told club television channel Real Madrid TV.

"Playing for a club that has 15 Champions League titles is not for everyone, so I'm very proud and now I'll give everything for this club."

Silva's former Manchester City team-mate Rodri joined Madrid's rivals Barcelona on Tuesday.

The Spanish midfielder had been linked with Real Madrid and new Los Blancos coach Jose Mourinho said he had spoken with Rodri earlier in the summer.

"I spoke with him a couple of times, and Real Madrid made him a very good offer," Mourinho told Spanish television show El Chiringuito this week.

"Rodri had doubts... and the doubts of Rodri created doubts for me.

"He's an extraordinary player and was very professional with us, nothing negative to say. But Real Madrid is a club of a stature that can't have players who think twice about it."


Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
TT

Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for a cocaine metabolite during an ATP event in Mallorca, the International Tennis Integrity Agency said on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old acknowledged the finding on his ⁠Instagram account, telling ⁠his followers: "I wanted you to hear this from me first."

"I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca ⁠after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it," he wrote.

Kyrgios provided a sample at the ATP 250 tournament in Spain on June 22 and ⁠a ⁠World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory subsequently detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, the ITIA statement read.

Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and a substance of abuse under WADA rules and is prohibited in competition.


Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Former Manchester United and Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba will be released by Monaco after a series of injuries, the French club said on Wednesday.

Pogba, 33, won the World Cup with France in 2018 but since serving a ban for doping has struggled to return to the elite level.

According to AFP, Monaco said in a statement that the objectives they had set for Pogba were "only partially achieved" and the Ligue 1 club were therefore ending his contract that would have run until June 2027.

Pogba is currently sidelined with a thigh injury, just after returning from a knee problem.

Monaco paid tribute to the player's "remarkable mindset, determination and unwavering high standards" and said even when injured he had had a positive influence on the Monaco squad by "sharing his experience and know-how" with the other players.