New Era for Gibraltar as Border Controls with Spain Set to End

Thousands of workers who cross daily between Spain and Gibraltar will no longer need to go through border controls. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP
Thousands of workers who cross daily between Spain and Gibraltar will no longer need to go through border controls. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP
TT

New Era for Gibraltar as Border Controls with Spain Set to End

Thousands of workers who cross daily between Spain and Gibraltar will no longer need to go through border controls. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP
Thousands of workers who cross daily between Spain and Gibraltar will no longer need to go through border controls. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP

Thousands of workers crossing daily between Spain and Gibraltar will enter a new era of easier travel on Wednesday, as border checks that have long been a source of tension are lifted.

Home to only around 40,000 people, the tiny self-governing British territory at the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula relies on about 15,500 daily cross-border workers from Spain, who make up nearly half of its workforce, said AFP.

During rush hours, long lines can form at the land border and documents are checked -- especially during periods of tension between Britain and Spain, which claims sovereignty over Gibraltar.

But under an agreement reached between Brussels and London following Britain's exit from the European Union, border controls between Gibraltar and Spain will be eliminated from July 15.

A smoother border will make it easier for Gibraltar businesses to recruit and retain workers who live in Spain, as the "hassle" of crossing the frontier can be "significant", said Owen Smith, head of the Gibraltar Federation of Small Businesses.

"It's been a big factor in retention, and certainly a fluid border is going to make life much easier," he told AFP, calling it "very, very positive".

The agreement, which will be signed on Tuesday in Brussels, will align Gibraltar with the rules of Europe's passport-free Schengen travel area.

It was reached after years of talks between Spain, Britain and the EU.

Travelers arriving from outside the Schengen zone will still have to show their passports to officials at Gibraltar's airport and port.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez is set to visit the frontier zone on Wednesday, where workers have in recent weeks taken down the old chain-link fencing between Gibraltar and Spain.

He has hailed the new arrangements as bringing down "the last wall" inside the EU, saying they would create a zone of shared prosperity.

- 'Bygone era of friction'

Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo has described the agreement as removing "the physical barriers of a bygone era of friction" while keeping "the keys to our own front door".

The border was closed by Spanish dictator Francisco Franco in 1969 after Gibraltar, which relies on London for defense and foreign policy, voted overwhelmingly in a referendum to remain British.

The closure, which lasted 13 years, cut off the daily movement of workers from Spain into Gibraltar and separated families.

Since then, long queues have repeatedly formed at the Gibraltar-Spain border when diplomatic tensions over the territory's sovereignty have led to tighter controls by Spain.

"It is important that this sword of Damocles disappears," said Manuel Triano Paulete, secretary general of the CCOO trade union in Spain's Campo de Gibraltar region which surrounds the British territory, saying cross-border workers often did not know how long it would take them to get to work.

With an economy based on financial services and online gaming, Gibraltar -- which covers just under seven square kilometers (2.7 square miles) -- has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world.

It has long been a lifeline for people who live in Campo de Gibraltar, which has historically had one of Spain's highest jobless rates.

London and Madrid have disputed control of Gibraltar since the tiny territory was ceded to Britain in the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht.



Zelensky Rejects Wartime Elections, Says Would 'Split' Ukraine

(FILES) Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky arrives to attend a meeting with Serbian President at the Palace of Serbia, in Belgrade on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Andrej ISAKOVIC / AFP)
(FILES) Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky arrives to attend a meeting with Serbian President at the Palace of Serbia, in Belgrade on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Andrej ISAKOVIC / AFP)
TT

Zelensky Rejects Wartime Elections, Says Would 'Split' Ukraine

(FILES) Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky arrives to attend a meeting with Serbian President at the Palace of Serbia, in Belgrade on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Andrej ISAKOVIC / AFP)
(FILES) Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky arrives to attend a meeting with Serbian President at the Palace of Serbia, in Belgrade on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Andrej ISAKOVIC / AFP)

President Volodymyr Zelensky said in remarks made public Sunday that it would be too dangerous for Ukraine to hold an election while it fights Russia's invasion, after a call by his former defense minister to organize a vote.

"I believe that in a war like this, elections as such are a huge risk. Elections right now are a tsunami for the country that will split Ukraine," Zelensky said in the comments.

Ukraine has suspended elections under martial law, a measure still widely supported by the population as the country focuses on fighting off Russian forces.

"If we want to destroy the country, then we can move in the direction of elections during these times of war," the 48-year-old leader added.

He held a briefing with a group of journalists including AFP on Saturday, the first in months amid several political crises.

The latest upheaval saw thousands take to the streets after Zelensky fired his defense minister, Mykhailo Fedorov.

The ousted Fedorov this week made a surprise call to find a way to organize a vote - but without offering a roadmap, and prompting even some of his supporters to distance themselves from him.

Experts have cited a flurry of obstacles, including how soldiers, millions of Ukrainian refugees and people from occupied territories would vote, as well as disinformation threats from Russia.

Only 15 percent of Ukrainians believe elections should be held before the end of hostilities, according to a poll by the Kyiv Institute of Sociology.

Zelensky made numerous jab at his opponent during the briefing.

"I believe he is going himself -- or is being pushed - toward wrong things," Zelensky said of Fedorov.

The former minister had pushed for reforms but clashed with the military's command and their traditionally stiff approach.

The public initially took his side and pushed for the dismissal of commander-in-chief Oleksandr Syrsky.

Zelensky said people had the right to protest but warned against "disrespectful" attitudes to military people.

"Since when has marketing started to outweigh the people who are giving their lives?" he said.

After a political crisis that had weakened him, Zelensky was able to cast himself as a rampart against division.

"I believe that society and soldiers must not be divided," he said, "We must acknowledge that there is this risk -- that there may be movement in that direction, toward dangerous developments."


Iran President: US Memorandum is Best Path Out of Stalled War

A handout photo made available by the Iranian Presidential Office shows Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian attending a press conference in the capital Tehran, on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Iranian Presidential Office / AFP) /
A handout photo made available by the Iranian Presidential Office shows Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian attending a press conference in the capital Tehran, on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Iranian Presidential Office / AFP) /
TT

Iran President: US Memorandum is Best Path Out of Stalled War

A handout photo made available by the Iranian Presidential Office shows Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian attending a press conference in the capital Tehran, on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Iranian Presidential Office / AFP) /
A handout photo made available by the Iranian Presidential Office shows Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian attending a press conference in the capital Tehran, on August 8, 2026. (Photo by Iranian Presidential Office / AFP) /

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian defended a recent memorandum of understanding as the best way for the country to move beyond what he described as a situation of “neither war nor peace.”

In a speech published by state-run IRNA early on Sunday, he said members of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council believed the memorandum represented the best possible agreement based on what he described as dignity, wisdom and the national interest.

“There is not a single provision in this agreement that amounts to capitulation,” Pezeshkian said. “The supreme leader sets the policies, and we will follow that path.”

The deal known as the Memorandum of Understanding that US President Donald Trump signed in June set an ambitious 60-day deadline for ending the war with Iran and reaching an accord on its nuclear program.

That period ended last week, but the two sides remain far apart, with no signs of compromise on the crucial issue of reopening the Strait of Hormuz, vital to global shipping.

While stressing that Tehran did not intend to back down in the face of its adversaries, Pezeshkian also linked the agreement to Iran’s economic prospects, saying the country could not attract investment in this stalled phase.

“Capital and money are extremely sensitive to risk,” The Associated Press quoted him as saying. “We have to remove this risk from the country.”

Nearly six months into the war with the United States and Israel, the Iranian economy is suffering under sanctions and a naval blockade that is making it extremely difficult for the country to export oil, its most valuable product.

Meanwhile, the hard-line new leader of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, Mohsen Rezaei, threatened Tehran’s neighbors against joining the new US effort to hurt Iran’s economy.

“If (Trump) wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner,” he said in an interview with the state broadcaster that aired Saturday.

Rezaei was named this month as part of senior appointments widely seen as hardening Tehran’s political and military stance. His interview with IRIB is his most extensive public statement since then.


Iran Executes Man Accused of Aiding US, Israel in Anti-govt Protests

An Iranian man reads a copy of the Iranian daily newspaper Hamshahri displaying a picture of US President Donald Trump and a title reading in Persian, 'The empty gun of sanctions,' reporting the new harsh economic threat by Trump against Iran, outside a kiosk in Tehran, Iran, 22 August 2026. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
An Iranian man reads a copy of the Iranian daily newspaper Hamshahri displaying a picture of US President Donald Trump and a title reading in Persian, 'The empty gun of sanctions,' reporting the new harsh economic threat by Trump against Iran, outside a kiosk in Tehran, Iran, 22 August 2026. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
TT

Iran Executes Man Accused of Aiding US, Israel in Anti-govt Protests

An Iranian man reads a copy of the Iranian daily newspaper Hamshahri displaying a picture of US President Donald Trump and a title reading in Persian, 'The empty gun of sanctions,' reporting the new harsh economic threat by Trump against Iran, outside a kiosk in Tehran, Iran, 22 August 2026. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
An Iranian man reads a copy of the Iranian daily newspaper Hamshahri displaying a picture of US President Donald Trump and a title reading in Persian, 'The empty gun of sanctions,' reporting the new harsh economic threat by Trump against Iran, outside a kiosk in Tehran, Iran, 22 August 2026. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH

Iran on Sunday executed a man accused of carrying a chainsaw during January anti-government protests who was charged with acting as an agent of Israel and the United States.

The judiciary said Majid Adineh had been convicted of "operational action in favor of hostile groups" in nationwide rallies that broke out late last year.

He is one of a string of people put to death over the protests, which were sparked by economic hardships in Iran.

Adineh was accused of "deliberate arson, gathering and collusion with the intention of committing crimes against the country's internal security,” AFP quoted the judiciary's Mizan Online website as saying in a report Sunday.

"Based on numerous documents and evidence in the case and the defendant's statements, the Karaj Revolutionary Court sentenced him to death and confiscation of all his property."

An appeal by Adineh was unsuccessful and the Supreme Court upheld the verdict, with his execution carried out Sunday morning, Mizan said.

He and another suspect were arrested on January 9 in Alborz province, west of Tehran, carrying "a revolver, ammunition, two tasers, two tear gas canisters, a rechargeable chainsaw, and a bottle of gasoline," Mizan added.

The protest movement was initially sparked in late December by grievances over high living costs but rapidly evolved into widespread anti-government demonstrations that peaked on January 8 and 9.

Iranian authorities reported more than 3,000 deaths from the unrest, attributing the violence to "terrorist acts" orchestrated by the United States and Israel.

The number of executions in Iran has risen since the start of the Middle East war, which broke out on February 28 with US-Israeli strikes against Iran.

A large number of the executions have been linked to the protests, with other cases related to the war.

Iranian authorities executed at least 1,639 people last year, a record high since 1989, according to Iran Human Rights, an NGO based in Norway, and Together Against the Death Penalty (ECPM), which is headquartered in Paris.