US Imposes New 50% Tariffs on $20 Billion Worth of Canadian Products

A sign invites customers to choose Canadian products in a personal hygiene aisle at a Whole Foods store in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada July 20, 2026. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
A sign invites customers to choose Canadian products in a personal hygiene aisle at a Whole Foods store in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada July 20, 2026. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
TT

US Imposes New 50% Tariffs on $20 Billion Worth of Canadian Products

A sign invites customers to choose Canadian products in a personal hygiene aisle at a Whole Foods store in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada July 20, 2026. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
A sign invites customers to choose Canadian products in a personal hygiene aisle at a Whole Foods store in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada July 20, 2026. REUTERS/Chris Helgren

President Donald Trump unveiled 50% tariffs on a wide range of imports from Canada on Monday in response to what the US administration called its discriminatory treatment of American-made cars and dairy goods, threatening a new front in a global trade war.

In slapping import taxes on goods ranging from wine to cement and ice hockey gear, Trump invoked Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, which permits a president to impose punitive tariffs of up to 50% against trading partners deemed to have discriminated against US goods.

That marked the law's first known usage in nearly a century of existence.

The new tariffs, set to take effect in 30 days, would also apply to dairy products, swimming pools, furniture, fishing rods, seeds, clothing and wigs, among other items.

The US Trade Representative's office said that the tariffs would apply to nearly $20 billion of imports from Canada. That's about 5.2% of the $382 billion worth of goods that the US imported from Canada in 2025, according to US Census Bureau data.

"While the Administration continues to secure fair and reciprocal trade deals with our trading partners, Canada, unlike other partners and allies, continues to retaliate against the United States for its efforts to rebalance trade and ⁠protect US industry in ⁠national-security sensitive sectors," Reuters quoted US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer as saying in a statement.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that his government has made comprehensive proposals to resolve trade disputes with Washington, asserting that Trump's past tariffs violated the North American trade pact.

"This trade dispute has raised costs for families, particularly in the US," he said. "Canada stands ready to engage intensively to address outstanding issues with the US to the mutual benefit of our citizens."

The Trump administration has long complained that Canada and China implemented retaliatory measures in response to the barrage of tariffs Trump has tried to impose since returning to the White House last year.

Greer has pointedly left Canada out of negotiations under way with Mexico on changes the US wants in the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement on trade. He holds bilateral talks on USMCA in Mexico City this week.

When Trump ⁠and Carney met at the FIFA World Cup Final in New Jersey on Sunday, Trump demanded that Carney take action to contain wildfires that have sent smoke billowing across swaths of the US. The US president last week threatened to add the "incalculable cost" of dealing with the pollution to existing tariffs on Canadian goods.

The Tariff Act of 1930 and its Section 338 are better known for massive US tariff increases and subsequent retaliation that economic historians say worsened the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Section 338 was intended to ensure countries apply tariffs equally and don't give preferential rates to some countries at the expense of US exports, said John Veroneau, a US trade official in President George W. Bush's administration who has extensively researched the statute.

He said that some presidents, including Franklin D. Roosevelt, considered imposing tariffs under Section 338, but no record could be found of any president taking such action until Trump's proclamations on Monday.

"It is ironic, to say the least, to use this authority to impose tariffs to retaliate against tariffs that were imposed in response to actions taken by the US," said Veroneau, senior counsel with the Covington and Burling law firm.

"These tariffs may be lawful under Section 338, but they at a minimum violate the spirit of ⁠Section 338, which was to create a ⁠world where countries apply the same tariffs on the same goods to all countries," he said, adding Trump has moved away from this principle "in a maximalist way."

After World War Two, major countries created the "most-favored-nation" tariff system through the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade to try to prevent a return to the pre-war "beggar-thy-neighbor" economic policies marked by competitive trade restrictions and currency devaluations.

Trump's new levies are set to take effect on August 19 and apply regardless of whether goods qualify for tariff exemptions under USMCA, although Trump exempted a range of key goods including energy, potash, fish, critical minerals and products already covered by Section 232 tariffs.

Among grounds for the tariffs, the White House cited Canada's "protectionist" dairy supply management system as well as tariffs and quotas on cars imported to Canada from the US but not from other countries. Carney said that Canada "as is its right, merely matched" US tariffs on the auto sector that were in violation of the USMCA.

Washington also highlighted that most Canadian provinces have halted the sale of US alcohol, which they did in response to prior US tariffs.



South Korea to Send First Container Ship Through Arctic Route

The container ship "Panstar Acro" is anchored to load containers at Busan New Port in Busan on August 22, 2026, as the vessel is scheduled to sail to Europe via the Arctic to test the commercial viability of the shipping route opened by melting ice. (AFP)
The container ship "Panstar Acro" is anchored to load containers at Busan New Port in Busan on August 22, 2026, as the vessel is scheduled to sail to Europe via the Arctic to test the commercial viability of the shipping route opened by melting ice. (AFP)
TT

South Korea to Send First Container Ship Through Arctic Route

The container ship "Panstar Acro" is anchored to load containers at Busan New Port in Busan on August 22, 2026, as the vessel is scheduled to sail to Europe via the Arctic to test the commercial viability of the shipping route opened by melting ice. (AFP)
The container ship "Panstar Acro" is anchored to load containers at Busan New Port in Busan on August 22, 2026, as the vessel is scheduled to sail to Europe via the Arctic to test the commercial viability of the shipping route opened by melting ice. (AFP)

South Korea was set Saturday to send its first trial container through the Arctic, as the Middle East war rattles global shipping, while environmental groups warned the route could accelerate polar ice melt.

The Middle East conflict, sparked by US-Israeli strikes on Iran in February, has roiled global shipping, sending governments and shipping firms scrambling to seek alternative routes.

Sailing from Busan New Port, the container ship -- the "PanStar Acro" -- will sail to Europe via the Arctic, testing whether a route opened by melting sea ice can be commercially viable.

"The ship will depart at 8 pm (1100 GMT) today unless there are unforeseen circumstances, such as bad weather," an oceans ministry official told AFP on Saturday.

The ship will leave for Felixstowe in Britain, Rotterdam in the Netherlands and Gdansk in Poland before returning, with the voyage expected to take about 45 days, according to the ministry.

The voyage follows that of the Chinese container ship "Dubai Tower", which left the eastern port city of Ningbo for Europe this month, heading north through the Bering Strait before turning west along Russia's Arctic coast.

The usual maritime route between Asia and Europe runs through the Suez Canal, but travelling through the Arctic can cut the journey by around 7,000 kilometers (4,300 miles) and about 10 days, according to the Korea Institute for International Economic Policy.

South Korea's Vice Oceans Minister Nam Jae-hon said the Arctic route was "bound to become an alternative" to Middle Eastern shipping lanes -- as geopolitical risks and technological advances make it increasingly competitive.

Marc Lanteigne, a political science professor at the Arctic University of Norway, said the voyage -- coming soon after China's "Dubai Tower" began its own Arctic journey -- showed the Northern Sea Route (NSR) was becoming normalized as a "secondary maritime transit corridor".

A successful voyage would demonstrate South Korea's interest in "developing alternative shipping sea lanes", he told AFP, with concerns that it could fall behind as Chinese firms expand regular services through the increasingly viable Arctic route.

- Russia issue -

Some experts warn South Korean ships using the Arctic route could risk breaching Western sanctions on Russia -- currently a key security ally of North Korea -- as they would receive Russian navigation and weather services involving payments, albeit small ones.

South Korea's foreign ministry declined to comment when asked by AFP about the concerns involving Russia.

The oceans ministry said this week that "consultations with key relevant countries and agencies" have been completed to "implement administrative procedures necessary" for the voyage.

Vladimir Tikhonov, Korean Studies professor at the University of Oslo, said "strictly speaking, US and EU sanctions are not international law, unlike UN sanctions".

"And with continued uncertainty in the Middle East - itself driven in part by US actions - South Korea may have few alternatives if the Arctic route proves economically viable," he told AFP.

Lanteigne said China's Northern Sea Route ambitions were more politically driven than South Korea's, with Beijing viewing the polar regions as "strategic new frontiers", raising Western security concerns.

Meanwhile, environmental groups warned growing traffic along the shorter NSR could accelerate Arctic sea ice loss already driven by global warming.

Major carriers including CMA CGM, MSC and Hapag-Lloyd have pledged to avoid Arctic shipping routes.

The NSR is believed to be accessible only during the time of year when the ice is melted enough to allow transits without icebreakers.

"The Northern Sea Route has become increasingly viable as the Arctic warms about four times faster than the global average, leading to a sharp decline in sea ice," South Korean environmental group Paran Ocean Citizen Science Center said in a statement last year.

"But making the route commercially viable would require further warming, putting the policy at odds with efforts to combat climate change."


World Bank Projects Lebanon Economy to Contract by 6.4% Due to War

People inspect a damaged building after an Israeli airstrike on the village of Ansar, southern Lebanon, 15 August 2026. (EPA)
People inspect a damaged building after an Israeli airstrike on the village of Ansar, southern Lebanon, 15 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

World Bank Projects Lebanon Economy to Contract by 6.4% Due to War

People inspect a damaged building after an Israeli airstrike on the village of Ansar, southern Lebanon, 15 August 2026. (EPA)
People inspect a damaged building after an Israeli airstrike on the village of Ansar, southern Lebanon, 15 August 2026. (EPA)

The World Bank on Friday projected that Lebanon's economy would contract by 6.4 percent this year, as the latest Israel-Hezbollah war derailed the country's efforts at recovery.

Lebanon has been dealing with an unprecedented financial crisis since 2019 and was still reeling from the 2024 Israel-Hezbollah war when the Iran-backed group drew it into the Middle East conflict by attacking Israel in March.

Israel responded with a heavy air campaign and ground invasion that Lebanese authorities say have killed more than 4,300 people.

Due to the war, "real GDP is projected to contract by 6.4 percent in 2026, reflecting the collapse in tourism, weaker consumption, disrupted supply chains, heightened insecurity, and prolonged displacement," the World Bank said in a report.

Inflation is also expected to rise to 17.5 percent this year, according to the report.

The World Bank said Lebanon's economy had strengthened before the latest conflict, with an estimated real GDP growth of 4.2 percent in 2025, "the fastest since the onset of the 2019 financial crisis".

"Advancing reforms -- particularly on banking sector restructuring and fiscal management -- will be critical to restoring confidence, protecting stability, and mobilizing the financing needed for reconstruction and recovery," Dahlia Khalifa, the World Bank's Middle East director, said.

The international community has been demanding that Lebanese authorities enact financial reforms in order to secure much-needed economic aid.

Last week, parliament passed amendments to a bank resolution law aimed at restructuring troubled banks and addressing the country's banking crisis.

The International Monetary Fund welcomed the law, describing it as "a very good step that reflects Lebanon's commitment to aligning its legislation with the best international practices".

Lebanon has been in discussions with the IMF, which said it would resume its meetings in Beirut next month.


Tunisia Olive Oil Exports Surge 55%, Bringing in $1.6 billion

Tunisian olive oil producer, Mustapha Mtiraoui, displays olives to be pressed at his oil mill in Kairouan, Tunisia February 24, 2024. REUTERS/Jihed Abidellaoui
Tunisian olive oil producer, Mustapha Mtiraoui, displays olives to be pressed at his oil mill in Kairouan, Tunisia February 24, 2024. REUTERS/Jihed Abidellaoui
TT

Tunisia Olive Oil Exports Surge 55%, Bringing in $1.6 billion

Tunisian olive oil producer, Mustapha Mtiraoui, displays olives to be pressed at his oil mill in Kairouan, Tunisia February 24, 2024. REUTERS/Jihed Abidellaoui
Tunisian olive oil producer, Mustapha Mtiraoui, displays olives to be pressed at his oil mill in Kairouan, Tunisia February 24, 2024. REUTERS/Jihed Abidellaoui

Tunisia's olive oil exports surged 55.3% to a record 368,000 metric tons in the first nine months of the 2025/26 season, bringing in $1.6 billion in export revenue, up 44.4% from a year earlier, official data showed on Friday.

The surge in olive oil shipments, a vital source of foreign currency and Tunisia's top agricultural export, will provide a much-needed boost to the country's finances as the government grapples with persistent economic and fiscal pressure.

The jump in exports was driven by strong global demand during the first nine months of the season, which began in November.

Extra virgin olive oil accounted for 83.6% of total shipments, the National Observatory of Agriculture said, Reuters reported.

The European Union remained the biggest destination, taking 57.1% of Tunisian olive oil exports, while North America accounted for 24%. More than 70 countries imported Tunisian oil during the period.

Exports to other markets included Saudi Arabia, which took 4.6%, Jordan with 3.1% and African markets at 3.8%, with Egypt accounting for 3.3%.

Bottled olive oil exports rose 50.8% to 51,500 tons, but bulk oil still accounted for the vast majority of shipments, underscoring Tunisia's challenge in capturing more value from one of its most important export products.