Saudi Arabia to Host 16th Edition of Arab Games 2027

The Saudi Minister of Sports said the Kingdom was pleased to welcome Arab delegations that will participate in the 16th edition of the Arab Games. SPA
The Saudi Minister of Sports said the Kingdom was pleased to welcome Arab delegations that will participate in the 16th edition of the Arab Games. SPA
TT

Saudi Arabia to Host 16th Edition of Arab Games 2027

The Saudi Minister of Sports said the Kingdom was pleased to welcome Arab delegations that will participate in the 16th edition of the Arab Games. SPA
The Saudi Minister of Sports said the Kingdom was pleased to welcome Arab delegations that will participate in the 16th edition of the Arab Games. SPA

The Saudi Minister of Sports and President of the Union of Arab National Olympic Committees, Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki bin Faisal bin Abdulaziz, has welcomed the Arab delegations that will participate in the 16th edition of the Arab Games, which will be hosted by the Kingdom in 2027.

In a speech during the closing ceremony of the 15th session on Saturday, the minister said: "Under the great support of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, and HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the Crown Prince, we are pleased and honored to welcome you all to the next edition in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia."

The minister praised Algeria for the kind hospitality and generous care, as it hosted the Arab Games this year.

In the 15th edition of Arab Games in Algeria, Saudi teams took 47 medals after taking part in 17 games, including 14 Olympic and three Paralympic games, which breaks the previous record in the 2011 tournament in Doha of 45 medals.



Playing at Real Madrid ‘Not for Everyone’, Says Bernardo Silva

Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
TT

Playing at Real Madrid ‘Not for Everyone’, Says Bernardo Silva

Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)

Bernardo Silva said playing for Real Madrid "is not for everyone" after the Portugal midfielder was presented by the 15-time European champions on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old, who joined from Manchester City at the end of his contract this summer, said he was proud to join the world's most successful club.

"I've already played quite a few times at the Bernabeu -- when you arrive and see the 15 Champions League titles they display there, it's very imposing, and having them here is very special," Silva told club television channel Real Madrid TV.

"Playing for a club that has 15 Champions League titles is not for everyone, so I'm very proud and now I'll give everything for this club."

Silva's former Manchester City team-mate Rodri joined Madrid's rivals Barcelona on Tuesday.

The Spanish midfielder had been linked with Real Madrid and new Los Blancos coach Jose Mourinho said he had spoken with Rodri earlier in the summer.

"I spoke with him a couple of times, and Real Madrid made him a very good offer," Mourinho told Spanish television show El Chiringuito this week.

"Rodri had doubts... and the doubts of Rodri created doubts for me.

"He's an extraordinary player and was very professional with us, nothing negative to say. But Real Madrid is a club of a stature that can't have players who think twice about it."


Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
TT

Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for a cocaine metabolite during an ATP event in Mallorca, the International Tennis Integrity Agency said on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old acknowledged the finding on his ⁠Instagram account, telling ⁠his followers: "I wanted you to hear this from me first."

"I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca ⁠after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it," he wrote.

Kyrgios provided a sample at the ATP 250 tournament in Spain on June 22 and ⁠a ⁠World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory subsequently detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, the ITIA statement read.

Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and a substance of abuse under WADA rules and is prohibited in competition.


Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Former Manchester United and Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba will be released by Monaco after a series of injuries, the French club said on Wednesday.

Pogba, 33, won the World Cup with France in 2018 but since serving a ban for doping has struggled to return to the elite level.

According to AFP, Monaco said in a statement that the objectives they had set for Pogba were "only partially achieved" and the Ligue 1 club were therefore ending his contract that would have run until June 2027.

Pogba is currently sidelined with a thigh injury, just after returning from a knee problem.

Monaco paid tribute to the player's "remarkable mindset, determination and unwavering high standards" and said even when injured he had had a positive influence on the Monaco squad by "sharing his experience and know-how" with the other players.