Djokovic Wins in Straight Sets to Reach US Open Quarterfinals 

Novak Djokovic of Serbia celebrates after defeating Borna Gojo of Croatia in their Men's Singles Fourth Round match on Day Seven of the 2023 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 03, 2023, in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Getty Images/AFP)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia celebrates after defeating Borna Gojo of Croatia in their Men's Singles Fourth Round match on Day Seven of the 2023 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 03, 2023, in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT
20

Djokovic Wins in Straight Sets to Reach US Open Quarterfinals 

Novak Djokovic of Serbia celebrates after defeating Borna Gojo of Croatia in their Men's Singles Fourth Round match on Day Seven of the 2023 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 03, 2023, in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Getty Images/AFP)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia celebrates after defeating Borna Gojo of Croatia in their Men's Singles Fourth Round match on Day Seven of the 2023 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 03, 2023, in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Getty Images/AFP)

Novak Djokovic did not encounter any of the sort of trouble he did in his previous match, eliminating qualifier Borna Gojo 6-2, 7-5, 6-4 on Sunday night to reach the US Open quarterfinals.

Djokovic — who has won three of his men's record 23 Grand Slam titles at Flushing Meadows — needed to come back from a two-set deficit in the third round before eventually winning in five against Laslo Djere.

This time, Djokovic played far more cleanly and was in control throughout. He finished with only 12 unforced errors, while Gojo made 40.

“Just glad to get through in straight sets,” said the second-seeded Djokovic, who already is assured of replacing Carlos Alcaraz at No. 1 in the ATP rankings next week.

Djokovic won five of the big-serving Gojo's 15 service games while only getting broken once himself.

Next up for Djokovic will be a matchup against No. 9 seed Taylor Fritz, a 25-year-old from California, who is the only remaining player in the men's bracket to not have dropped a set so far.

Djokovic owns a 7-0 head-to-head career record against Fritz.

“I’m not going to talk about what he needs to do to have a chance against me. I’m sure he’s going to try to figure that out with his coach,” Djokovic said. “I’m going to get ready, obviously, for that match as any other match, doing my analytics, watching the last match we had against each other.”

Their matchup on Tuesday will be Djokovic's 13th quarterfinal in New York and Fritz's first.

“I need to play within myself and trust that if I’m playing well, then that’s going to be enough, and I don’t need to kind of do anything extra,” said Fritz, who defeated Swiss qualifier Dominic Stricker 7-6 (2), 6-4, 6-4 earlier Sunday.

Fritz is one of three American men who won fourth-round matches, along with No. 10 Frances Tiafoe and unseeded Ben Shelton. It is the first time a trio of men from the United States made it to the quarterfinals at Flushing Meadows since 2005, when Andre Agassi, James Blake and Robby Ginepri did it.

“That's amazing, obviously, for the (US Tennis Association), for the US Open, as well,” Djokovic said. “All of the guys — Fritz, Shelton and Tiafoe — (use a) big serve, just very aggressive play.”

The winner of Djokovic vs. Fritz will take on the winner of Tiafoe vs. Shelton in the semifinals.



Albon Says Thailand Taking Bid for F1 Race 'Very Seriously'

Williams' Thai driver Alexander Albon arrives ahead of the third practice session of the Formula One Australian Grand Prix at the Albert Park Circuit in Melbourne on March 15, 2025. (Photo by WILLIAM WEST / AFP)
Williams' Thai driver Alexander Albon arrives ahead of the third practice session of the Formula One Australian Grand Prix at the Albert Park Circuit in Melbourne on March 15, 2025. (Photo by WILLIAM WEST / AFP)
TT
20

Albon Says Thailand Taking Bid for F1 Race 'Very Seriously'

Williams' Thai driver Alexander Albon arrives ahead of the third practice session of the Formula One Australian Grand Prix at the Albert Park Circuit in Melbourne on March 15, 2025. (Photo by WILLIAM WEST / AFP)
Williams' Thai driver Alexander Albon arrives ahead of the third practice session of the Formula One Australian Grand Prix at the Albert Park Circuit in Melbourne on March 15, 2025. (Photo by WILLIAM WEST / AFP)

British-Thai driver Alex Albon says that Thailand is taking its bid to host a Formula One race "very seriously" after meeting the prime minister and seeing the plans for himself.

Thailand is among a number of countries eager to host the sport for the first time, with a race around the streets of the capital Bangkok mooted.

F1 chief Stefano Domenicali met Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra last month and Albon paid her a visit before this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix.

"We're trying to help get the Thai GP under way and seeing how we can help," Albon, who races for Williams and is Thailand's only F1 driver, told reporters on Thursday at Suzuka.

Albon added: "It's moving along, obviously nothing's finalised but it's really good to see the commitment from Thailand.

"They're taking it very seriously and I think as a product, they have a very strong product."

Most of Formula One's 24-race schedule is confirmed for several years but gaps are set to open up and Domenicali has suggested that Thailand could be a contender to join the circuit.

According to AFP, the London-born Albon declined to give any more details about what a race in Thailand would look like, but was impressed by what he saw.

"I've seen a generic look at what they're trying to do with it, and it looks good," he said.

Formula One currently stages one race in Southeast Asia, in Singapore, which is regarded as the toughest race of the season because of the intense heat and humidity.