AlphaTauri Confirm Tsunoda and Ricciardo for 2024

Australian Daniel Ricciardo of Scuderia AlphaTauri arrives ahead of the practice session of the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, 15 September 2023. (EPA)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo of Scuderia AlphaTauri arrives ahead of the practice session of the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, 15 September 2023. (EPA)
TT
20

AlphaTauri Confirm Tsunoda and Ricciardo for 2024

Australian Daniel Ricciardo of Scuderia AlphaTauri arrives ahead of the practice session of the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, 15 September 2023. (EPA)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo of Scuderia AlphaTauri arrives ahead of the practice session of the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, 15 September 2023. (EPA)

AlphaTauri confirmed Daniel Ricciardo and Yuki Tsunoda as their 2024 Formula One lineup on Saturday and said current stand-in Liam Lawson would be reserve driver for both of Red Bull's teams.

The announcement at the Japanese Grand Prix ended speculation about which two of the three would be racing next year and left Williams as the only team with a potential vacancy.

New Zealander Lawson, 21, has impressed in three races as Ricciardo's replacement since the 34-year-old Australian broke his hand in a crash last month.

"We are in a privileged position, where we have access to multiple great talents from the Red Bull world," said AlphaTauri's new CEO Peter Bayer in a statement.

"Both Daniel and Yuki have not just shown fantastic race craft but are also great global ambassadors for our team and our sport.

"Liam put himself in the spotlight of F1 in only three races and I am very happy that we can continue to prepare him for his future."

Ricciardo, whose return to the team could still be some way off, said he was "stoked" to be continuing the career comeback he started this season.

The eight times race winner had begun the year taking time off following a difficult period at McLaren.

"Following the progress we have already made and the plans for the future, it's an exciting time for the team. We are building and it is a great feeling...bring on 2024," Ricciardo said in the statement.

Tsunoda, Japan's only current F1 driver and backed by AlphaTauri's engine partner Honda, will be racing for a fourth season after joining in 2021.

"Next year, the technical regulations remain largely unchanged and it was therefore logical to go for continuity in our driver line-up too," said outgoing team principal Franz Tost, who will be handing over to Laurent Mekies.

"I am very pleased with the development that Yuki has shown over the last two and a half years with our team and with Daniel´s great race-winning experience we will have one of the most competitive driver pairings on the grid in 2024."

"Peter and Laurent will have a great duo to start the new season in the right direction."

Lawson, the youngest driver on the grid, is also competing in Japan's Super Formula series this season and is second with one round remaining.

AlphaTauri said the Kiwi driver will attend all F1 races next season, focusing on testing, simulator and development work.



Ancelotti Optimistic Courtois Will Be Ready for Arsenal amid Madrid Keeper Crisis

Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)
Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)
TT
20

Ancelotti Optimistic Courtois Will Be Ready for Arsenal amid Madrid Keeper Crisis

Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)
Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti is confident that goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will be fit for Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg against Arsenal.

The Belgium international has battled several injuries this season and was absent for the last two matches, with Andriy Lunin standing in.

While Real's LaLiga match against Valencia on Saturday might come too soon for Courtois, Ancelotti believes the keeper will be available for the clash at Arsenal.

"There’s no concern. Courtois is much better, we believe he can make it to Tuesday," Ancelotti told reporters on Friday.

Lunin, however, could be out, with Spanish media reporting that the Ukrainian has sustained a calf muscle tear after the second leg of Spanish Cup semi-final against Real Sociedad on Tuesday.

"We have a doubt about Lunin, who will be tested today," the Real manager added.

With both Courtois and Lunin sidelined, it is likely that 19-year-old Fran Gonzalez will be in goal against Valencia.

"He's a great goalkeeper; his only problem is that he's young. If his time comes tomorrow, we'll be very happy for him, because we're all convinced he has a great future. No worries on our part," Ancelotti said.

Real are still in contention for a treble, trailing LaLiga leaders Barcelona by three points and set to face them in the Copa del Rey final at the end of the month.

"We’re doing well. Obviously, with some doubts due to the effort of extra time (against Real Sociedad). But the team is motivated," Ancelotti said.

"We have to be optimistic and believe we can do it. We’re very close in every competition, and we’re confident."